Solutions

228,642 members
103,552 posts
  • ohickmott
    Contributor - Level 2
    2008-05-05
    Hi everybody,

I was just interested in peoples opinions on this one:

I have a Marshall JMP1 and of-course a G-Major with an EL84 20/20 poweramp, I currently have hocked the G-Major up to the send and return of the JMP1's FX loop and am quite pleased with the result but upon reading the G-Major manual I noticed that TC Electronic recommend going from the output of the preamp into the G-Major and then into the poweramp. Not sure why but this never really occurred to me before :0S I had a play and some of the FX do come across with more depth and character and the tone of the JMP1 seems less affected, to be fair the JMP1's FX loop is pretty far from fantastic!

I just wondered if there are any of you out there with a JMP1 rig and how you have yours connected up?

Cheers
    Olly
    read more...
    0 42,383
    • ohickmott
      SiDude Hi,

This is my first post, I've just signed up ! )

I run my G-Major in the FX loop of my JMP-1, I found it sounded best in the loop (which I can then also switch on and off per patch and kept it out of the signal path) rather than have it after the JMP-1 where as everything goes through it. Also helps if it freezes (though mines only done that twice in two years) as I can change to a patch with the G-Major out of the signal path and no-one will know !

All this goes into a Mesa Boogie 50/50 into a Marshall x12 cab. I prefer the sound of the 6L6GC tubes with the JMP-1. How do you find the EL84 ?

Hope this helps.

Si
      • May 6, 2008
    • ohickmott
      RGR I hav emy G major in the effect loop of the JMP1.. i tried it on theoutputs and could not really tell any difference in the tone to be honest. The reason I prefer it in the loop is that if something goes wrong live, say i blow a fuse/power amp tube or something I can always just run feeds from the Jmp1s amp sim outs to the desk...it sounds cool enough in an emergency.
      • May 18, 2008
    • ohickmott
      Benny

SiDude wrote:

Hi,

This is my first post, I've just signed up ! )

I run my G-Major in the FX loop of my JMP-1, I found it sounded best in the loop (which I can then also switch on and off per patch and kept it out of the signal path) rather than have it after the JMP-1 where as everything goes through it. Also helps if it freezes (though mines only done that twice in two years) as I can change to a patch with the G-Major out of the signal path and no-one will know !

All this goes into a Mesa Boogie 50/50 into a Marshall x12 cab. I prefer the sound of the 6L6GC tubes with the JMP-1. How do you find the EL84 ?

Hope this helps.

Si

What do you mean with "also helps if it freezes"?

I have this issue with my G-Major (it freezes). I connected it how was suggested in the manual (JMP1's outputs to the g-major's inputs, and g-major's outputs to power amp's inputs).

Do you think if I connect the unit in the FX loop, it won't freeze anymore?

It sounds strange, but I'll try.

So... you connected the JMP1's send to the g-major's LEFT input (the right input remains empty), right? and the g-major's outputs to the JMP1's returns.
      • December 2, 2008
    • ohickmott
      raven1a He means that, if you hook the G-Major into the effects loop of the JMP and the G-Major freezes, you can bypass the loop taking the frozen G-Major out of the equation and you will still be able to play through the amp. Connecting it like that won't cause the G-Major to stop freezing. It will just give you a way to bypass it if it does freeze.
      • December 3, 2008
    • ohickmott
      sacerdoth For some reason whenever I hook up my g-major into the fx loop of the jmp-1 I notice a significant loss of gain/volume. Note: even if I set in and out levels to max on the g-major, there's still less volume than the jmp-1 dry (fx bypassed). I'm also using balanced cables that are recommended by tc electronic.

Can anybody help me with that?
      • January 19, 2009
  • trendkiller83
    Contributor - Level 2
    2008-04-18
    I need a bit of help with how to program my pedal. Ok, I will start by stating what I have. I have a Mesa Dual 3 channel, CFX4, G-Major and a Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro. I have everything set up fine as to changing channels with or with out effects and such. I am just using the Bottom 4 switches like you would a Line 6 pedal Board. I need help in that I want to Program my pedal board to have the upper switches to for example turn on and off effects as well as enable tuner mute to bypass all by the touch of a foot. I am not sure how to do this with the Ground Control and G-Major. Any to all help would be extremely grateful.
    Can anyone help?
    read more...
    0 19,431
    • trendkiller83
      More-Cowbell you need teh GCX switcher

you plug every channel and your tuner

(unless your using the one on your g-major)

into 1 buypass loop. and control which loops are

on with your pedal.

if that makes sence.
      • April 19, 2008
    • trendkiller83
      trendkiller83 No, I don't need to change the Amps Channels or effects with it. i have that all setup already. I have the Ground Control setup so the Control 4 function is on leaving the 1-8 buttons to be used. I am wondering how you could program those buttons so that you can turn on Deley or whatever effect on or off with the floor board.
      • April 19, 2008
    • trendkiller83
      More-Cowbell oh.. you go into the mod menu on your g-major.

just look in your manuel and it will tell you..

first you have to store your preset into the Gmajor

then you have to tell your pedal to send a cc message

so it changed the effect.
      • April 20, 2008
    • trendkiller83
      trendkiller83 Awesome! I have finally figured it out. It was easy after tinkering with it for a bit but I now have my setup the way I wanted it.

I will break it down for anyone else who might not know this...

Basically you go into the G-Major hit the Edit switch, have your pedal to the 4 preset bank ( if not sure how to do this read your manual), then go to INSTANT ACCESS Now it will have numbers on your left from 1 to 8.

Select 1 for example and lets say you want it to be your TAP TEMPO on the G-Major.

You Have 1 set on what ever midi channel your controlling( I have my G-Major on Midi 2 so all the channels from 1 to 8 are midi 2) The you go and select any number you want your presets to be from 0-128. I made my Tap tempo 1, Delay 2, Reverb 3 ect..

So your screen should look like this...

1.CH01 CTL001 <----------------------CC message (Any Number your Effect will be)

^ ^-----------MIDI Channel

Pedal Board

After you set up your numbers and what not you then go to the G-Major and hit the MOD button. From there you can set your certain effects or what ever number you want each footswitch to be or you can do it a simpler way by setting it to "LEARN"

For Example you Select lets say Delay and you want it on number 6 on your Ground Control Pro Pedal, you hit Learn on Delay and then tap the footswitch 6 on and off and the G-Major gets the number automatically. Then you can move on to Reverb, Pitch, Mute, bypass to what ever you want to be controlled to turn off and on to be put where you want from Numbers 1 to 8.

And thats it!

now another thing I found out after doing all of this is that you will have to hit the switch twice to turn off any effect that you have programed to be on in a certain bank.

For example I have a channel with just Clean amp, Delay and Reverb. Now when I hit the Reverb switch only once nothing will happen until I hit it again to turn it off. Now its not really a set back if you program your channels to have the effects off when you select the channel you have.

Its really up to you. So use my recent knowledge and go nuts. Any Questions please feel free to ask.

Also I also found out by setting this up that its best if you use numbers in increments or 10

For example Delay CC would be 10, Reverb 20, Bypass 30 and so on and so forth.

Because if you by accident yous the same number on your G0major or Pedal Board you can have it by accident turn on 2 or so effects if you only would want one. But it is all up to you and what you want to be controlled.
      • April 24, 2008
    • trendkiller83
      Gogetter o you mean by " hit edir Switch" on the G-Major?
      • June 5, 2008
  • gdgross
    Contributor - Level 2
    2008-04-15
    I'm not too experienced with modulation effects - I'm mostly just a delay and reverb guy.

I'd like to cop the flanger tone from Lenny Kravitz's "Are you gonna go my way" using my g-sys. It's meaty and chunky compared to what I'm getting out of the g-sys right now. I messed a little with it last night, and the flanger sound I was getting was kind of thin and electronic sounding in comparison.

Any advice for thickening things up?

Thanks!
    Geoff
    read more...
    0 6,219
    • gdgross
      digitalkettle I checked through the presets last weekend. I thought a couple of them featured reasonable flanger sounds...keep meaning to make a note of the preset effects which are worth stealing.
      • April 15, 2008
    • gdgross
      tomasgunn

gdgross wrote:

I'm not too experienced with modulation effects - I'm mostly just a delay and reverb guy.

I'd like to cop the flanger tone from Lenny Kravitz's "Are you gonna go my way" using my g-sys. It's meaty and chunky compared to what I'm getting out of the g-sys right now. I messed a little with it last night, and the flanger sound I was getting was kind of thin and electronic sounding in comparison.

Any advice for thickening things up?

Thanks!

Geoff

Sorry for not answering your question directly - I don't have a concrete answer for thickening up that particular part of the song, but for the main riff (omg - almost 15 years ago!) I did an adventurous thing which sometimes worked... and sometimes didn't (highly drummer dependent)

I set up a delay that repeated once after each bar (that is once every 4 beats). Then I started playing the main riff and alternating between the high and low octaves for every repetition of the riff. This essentially gives you the effect of two guitars playing rather than just an octaved guitar - so, pretty thick. When it works, it's cool - but of course when it doesn't... anyway, it was fun
      • April 16, 2008
    • gdgross
      gdgross Thanks man.

My band's got two of us geetar players, though, so that isn't really an issue.

Adventurous idea, though. I I had to do it with my drummer I don't think it would be a problem. He's absolutely rock-solid.
      • April 18, 2008
    • gdgross
      redbud i dialed in a very nice thick flanger tone that i enjoy to noodle around with. this setting sound good in mono through my mesa mark 4 but really shines in stereo. tweek the settings to your liking and enjoy

Advanced flanger

speed 100mhz

depth 20%

hi cut 14.0 khz

feedback 43%

FB cut 10.0 khz

Ch Dl 4.5 ms

ratio on

phase rev on

mix 50%

out lev -3
      • April 18, 2008
    • gdgross
      gdgross Thanks bro! I will give this a try when I get home.
      • April 21, 2008
  • gizmo
    Contributor - Level 2
    2008-04-07
    Hi all,

I was wondering if the G-System could actually control Midi device (I'm thinking of my IPS-33B) with the expression pedal.
    My wish would be to be able to select a preset (say a whammy one or pedal stell) of my IPS-33B and then to control the whammy effect of it from the expression pedal of the G-System.

Any idea how to get that?

Many thanks in advance,

Gizmo
    read more...
    0 4,945
    • gizmo
      tomasgunn I asked tc support about sending expression midi messages to other devices (in my case the HOG) and got the reply that it's not supported.
      • April 7, 2008
    • gizmo
      Ytolyccuz Hi Guys,

I'm also considering turunturun's suggestion to use the Midi Solutions Pedal Controller. I'm wondering how I can connect it effectively to the expression pedals since the pedal is going to be on the pedal board and the Midi connections shall be done mostly on the rack. I really want to avoid having midi cables back and forth the pedal board and the rack.

My question is: How can I get the signal from the expression pedal within the g-system brain? Is there such a way?

Looking forward to your reply.
      • March 7, 2014
  • Biggredd
    Contributor - Level 1
    2008-03-27
    I keep hearing conflicting stories. I want to use my G major to change all 3 channels on my Mesa Boogie Dual rectifier. Some people have said they used a simple Y connector where as other I've heard you need to buy an Axess electronics CRF4 and there is no way around it. I'm not sure what the proper answer is but I haven't had much luck with simple connections. I also am afraid to try simple set ups since I heard it can ruin the electronics if not properly set up. Getting kind of frustrated here. Any one know one way or another?
    read more...
    0 25,290
    • Biggredd
      raven1a Here's to offical response from TC Electronics:

This answer is valid for all these models: Dual and Triple Rectifier, Rectoverb, Lone Star and Lone Star Special, Solo 50, Roadking, Express.

According to Mesa Boogie Tech dept, these units require an isolated ground connection for each of the rear panel 1/4" external switching inputs.Since Y-Split cables are sharing the ground, they cannot be used from the G-System or G-Major (which output connection is TRS) because they could cause damage to the amp switching network.

You can still use mono cables from the GMajor / G-System to any of this amp. This will obviously divide by 2 the switching possibilities since only 1 relay per output can be used.

An other solution is to use a switching device such as AXESS ELECTRONIC CFX4 or MIDI SOLUTION R8 in combination with the G-System. Note that the R8 is midi powered only and requires an adapter available at MIDI SOLUTIONS that can be powered by one of the DC 9V outs of the G-System : The G-System does NOT provide Midi power.

Other switching devices :

Nobel MS4, VINTECK (www.vinteck.com ) , RJM Amp Gizmo.

The Mark series (Mark 2,3 & 4, Quad, Studio Preamp, formula Preamp, V-Twin rack Preamp) can be used with Y-Split cables.
      • March 27, 2008
    • Biggredd
      Biggredd Thanks for the reply. I have read this article quite a few times. The only reason I still question it is because some people on Harmony-central have stated otherwise. For all I know they are not hooked up properly and/or are putting their amp at risk for shortage.

Sucks because The Axess has been out of stock for a while. And the rest are all crazy expensive.
      • March 28, 2008
    • Biggredd
      jnorris If you do not need to use the solo boost or FX switching, place one mono cable on ch1 and one on ch3 while the amp's control of the channels on the back of the amp is set to footswitch. When the 1st one is on your amp will be in ch1. When both are disabled your amp will default to ch2. When the first one is off and the second one is on your amp will be on ch3. Hope that helps!
      • October 25, 2008
    • Biggredd
      sadlife Hi,

Ive read all your advices but I still dont know how I should connect my G-major to my MB dual rect to can change all three channels. Please, dont you have any scheme of connecting? And what kind of cables do I need? I know, Im like little child but I need very simple advice......I wouldnt like to destroy my Mesa
      • November 21, 2008
    • Biggredd
      raven1a It's my understand (hopefully, if I'm wrong, someone here will correct me) that the MB dual Rec has 2 1/4" jacks on the back that can be used to control the channels. So, with that in mind, as Jnorris stated, using a stereo to mono cable:

1. Connect one of the mono connections to Ch1 on the MB.

2. Connect one of the mono connections to Ch3 on the MB.

3. Connect the Stereo end of the cable to the relays on the G-Major.

Hint: An insert cable works perfectly for these connections.

Now, when both relays off the MB should be on Ch2. When Relay 1 on and Relay 2 is off on the G-Major is on the MB should be on Ch1 or 3 depending on which mono cable you plugged in to which channel on the MB.. When Relay 2 is on and Relay 1 is off, you should be on the other channel.

Hope this helps.
      • November 24, 2008
  • paulluis
    Contributor - Level 1
    2008-03-16
    I've just picked up this Gold Channel and I'm having a hard time getting this unit to work with my Pro Tools 002 Rack.

Everything is fine at 24 bit 44.1 but if i try 24 bit 96k it just wont work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
    read more...
    0 1,784
    • paulluis
      cgf Hi Paul,

The GC can't do digital IO at 96kHz or 88.2kHz - only the low rates 32k-48k. Only internal processing like the limiter etc. operates at the double rate e.g. 96kHz. If you need to do projects at 96k in ProTools you need a sample rate converter between the GC and the Protools or perhaps the 002 has SRC on its input? Otherwise connect them on analog in stead.

Cheers

Chr
      • March 16, 2008
  • aksman
    Contributor - Level 2
    2008-03-13
    Since TC Electronic has not made any way to share presets for individual patches on the G System, let's all post in this thread.

To take a screenshot of your settings:
    1. select the correct patch and the "all" effect view in the Vyzor editor,
    2. press the PRINT SCREEN button (copies an image to your desktop)
    3. open an image editor (the Paint program works fine) and "paste" the desktop image into the editor (crop if you want).
    4. save it as a JPEG
    5. upload it somewhere (i.e. photobucket, unless you can just attach it in the forum)
    6. POST!

*be sure to include what you are running in the loops, if your amp's distorted, and a little description of the sound.

NOTE: If the pic comes up TOO SMALL to make out the numbers when posted, simply click on the MAGNIFYING GLASS with 100% written next to it in the lower-left of the browser screen to elarge it! This works PERFECTLY!
    Or, save the image to your computer. It will be saved from the source URL, which is large enough to let you see everything clearly.
    read more...
    0 38,382
    • aksman
      aksman Cascade by aksman

-Guyatone SV2 volume swell in the Insert Loop ON

*sounds pretty ambient and dreamy, but playable

• March 13, 2008
    • aksman
      gbtommasi Wouldn't it be easier to post patch files?
      • March 13, 2008
    • aksman
      aksman yes... HOW??????
      • March 14, 2008
    • aksman
      gbtommasi well,

for example, like this:

http://www.uploading.com/files/0J31L7FK/just_to_try.SQS.html

i know it's not the easier way, but it allows to put all the patches you want to share into a sqs file (up to 200 presets) and have other people download it easily, and just copy to their system the presets they prefer.

Until TC creates a public space to share presets, i think this is quite a good solution!
      • March 14, 2008
    • aksman
      6GunSound Hey All

You're welcome to use my forum for this at www.tcgpage.com

At least there we can categorize the posts instead of having a huge unorganized thread. The sqs file idea is great, but I'll be doing most of this the old school way until I get a laptop. Too much of a pain to drag all my gear in and hook it up to the computer. There may be others who are in my situation as well. I'd say using both methods would be ideal. I plan on using askman's screen dump idea to repost the patches already in the tcgpage library.

BTW, love the Cascade patch.
      • March 15, 2008
  • mr_b
    Contributor - Level 2
    2008-03-13
    Hi. was wondering if anyone could give me a dummies guide to midi using hte g-system and cfx4.

my set up is thus: G-system linked to my Lonestar via the 4cable method. midi out (G-system) to midi in (CFX4). on the cfx4 i've got control jack 1 going to my channel change on the lonestar, i've got control jack 2 activating the boost on the lonestar and control jack 3 changing channels in my rackmount v-twin.

however, i'm having problems getting the midi side of the G-system to communicate with the CFX4. they're both set up on midi channel 3 and set for PC changes only.

on certain presets, i want to change the channel on the lonestar, on others i want to activate the lonestar's boost and on some i want to change the channels on the v-twin.

can anyone please help out a very confused user.?

many thanks,

B.
    read more...
    0 2,337
  • Nicolas
    Contributor - Level 2
    2008-03-11
    I just wanted to report that I experienced a minor problem when I upgraded my G-System to version 3.0 (on PC, Windows Xp).

The upgrade tool worked flawless, everything went fine until the message on the G-System read "Turn power off". I unplugged the cable, waited 5 seconds, then restored power to the G. the display went green, but nothing was being displayed... I waited a few minutes (not cutting the power yet), then turned it off again. Again, I plugged in the cable and the same happened, green with no text.

The third time around, the "AVR BOOT" text finally appeared and did its thing. the G-System booted to version 3 after that and I could play around with the editor.

Everything seems fine (but I havent tested everything yet). Is there a way to verify the upgrade?
    read more...
    0 10,337
    • Nicolas
      shredtheater it will say which version you have when you boot up. I assume if it says 3.0 everything is fine and dandy
      • March 10, 2008
    • Nicolas
      ren-lex yeah the same happened to me, but its all right now
      • March 10, 2008
    • Nicolas
      markno999 Happened to me too. It should immediately come up with the AVR Boot stuff. If you get the blank green screen on power up, shut the G off, unplug the USB Cable, turn the power back and the G-System and it will start right up and run though the final steps of the firmware update. After that, no problem leaving the USB cable plugged in.

Regards
      • March 11, 2008
    • Nicolas
      Nicolas Yes, I think I unplugged the USB cable after my 2nd power off too, ... and then it worked.

thanks for the comments
      • March 11, 2008
    • Nicolas
      wsot Yes, but it sure scared the bejesus out of me yesterday!
      • March 11, 2008
  • harmonicator
    Contributor - Level 1
    2008-03-04
    I have a Suhr Badger and I want to get the nova delay and reverb to put in the loop. I want to use Suhr's minimix in the loop to preserve the tone of the amp/guitar. The minimix only works with "line level processors", not "instrument level processors".

Does anyone know if the nova pedals are line level or instrument signal level processors????
    read more...
    0 4,256
    • harmonicator
      wvh I just read a (rather positive) review of the delay pedal here:

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27210

"When I hooked it up I had the first positive surprise: It does Studio/Line or Instrument levels. [...]"

So it seems you can choose. I don't own it myself, so I can't confirm or deny it.
      • March 11, 2008
    • harmonicator
      hunga_buk Hello everyone, I just bought a nova system and would like to have the option of selecting either the preset banks of the nova itself that use an expression pedal to increase or decrease the audio volume

What do you advise me to buy?
      • July 29, 2014
Go to page