Solutions

234,687 members
110,381 posts
  • Mr_You
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-02-03
    Regarding frontend/G-System loop effects...

I occasionally like "screaming bends" (I call them): bending distorted notes with single repeat frontend delay. You could combine frontend and loop delays. I've also thought about experimenting with frontend EQ. Some modulation effects work better in front, hard to say if that will work with the Nova System. Some folks also like a touch of analog overdrive/distortion in front of their distorted tube amp.

The Nova System can provide these. When time allows, I'll experiment more with using the Nova System in front to see what might work best. Just curious if anyone has done this or has any thoughts.
    read more...
    0 3,838
    • Mr_You
      Mr_You I've been thinking a little more about this... specifically...

I wonder if I can find or modify a volume pedal that could send two opposite signals at the same time, one to the G-Systems volume control (in the effects loop) and one to the Nova Systems volume control (in G-Systems front-end loop).

The idea is when pressing the pedal forward the amps input signal/gain/distortion will increase (Nova Systems volume increases) while the amps effects loop signal is decreased (G-Systems volume decreases) to keep the volume relatively level. When pressing the pedal back the input signal/gain/distortion will decrease (clean up) while the effects loop signal is increased to keep the volume level. This make sense? Maybe its easier said than done. Guessing its doable with two separate volume pedals. I'm sort of doing this now with my guitars volume control and the Nova System in the loop, but its limited.
      • February 16, 2009
    • Mr_You
      jlbaxe I "had" a Line6 M13 that I would run in front of my amp and my TC2290 as the wet left and right speakers. I have a delay/Panning setting on the TC2290 and a different delay on the M13 and use them both together. It has sort of a Pink Floyd 1960s sound.

I recorded it on my iPhone before I sold the M13 so now I have to figure it out on the G system. I believe in order to get the same effect I have to have the delay in the front of the amp.

So yeah I like and understand where you are coming from with running the Nova system in a loop on the G system. If I get a chance to get one I might do the same.
      • January 30, 2010
    • Mr_You
      Stairwaydenied Hi Guys,

I have recently experimented placing my NS in a loop on the G and am having great fun with mixing mods etc! Using the drive on the NS as a boost is also proving successful.

My question is, how do I go about cabling the 2 up correctly for midi purposes? I have tried various configurations utilising the Y cable method but to no success, I can't get the 2 to talk to each other....

As I am a midi virgin, can one of you fine upstanding peeps please point me in the right direction?

I'm assuming that I might be over complicating things, as usual! ☺️

Many thanks in advance for any help offered!

S
      • November 5, 2017
    • Mr_You
      Dadoune666 You may want to have your g-system controlling your nova system, right? So you'll have to connect like this using a simple midi cable (not the Y cable) :

->g-system midi out -> nova system midi in

and juste midi program out section in the g-system and the midi program in section in the nova system.

e.g. : the g-system send a pc (1), the nova has to respond on the pc(1) on the same midi channel (choose omni if you don't have any other midi devices).

You can use Program change and Control change on the g :

- PC on the g will change a preset on the ns

- CC on the g will change... a effect on the ns.
      • December 5, 2017
  • manson_reznor
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-02-01
    I've just bought a G-Sharp. Nice sounding, but there a lot of noise / hiss.

My setup is :

Guitar electric > stompboxes > G-Sharp left input (mono) > left output > Input of my Hiwatt Custom 50.

Without the G-Sharp, I don't have this very audible hiss...
    I tried different guitars and cables and stompboxes.

I noticed that when I engage the kill-dry switch or turn the effect and reverb mix full clockwise, the noise become acceptable. In fact the noise appear when I can hear the dry sound of my guitar.

I also tried the G-Sharp in the effect loop of my bass amp (serial loop) with my bass: same issue... With the kill-dry engaged, not too much hiss but no dry signal from my bass

Is my G-sharp defective ?

Thanks

Nicolas

ps : sorry for my bad English, I'm French...
    read more...
    0 15,425
    • manson_reznor
      Pascal Same problem here.

I used de G-sharp with a boogie nomad 55 and had no problem.

Recently I bought a Fender Deville and now I have the same problem as Nicolas. Even when I use it in the effects loop.

Nicolas, have you found a solution for this ?

Pascal
      • April 27, 2009
    • manson_reznor
      manson_reznor My G-sharp was replaced with a new one. Same problem....... :[

In serial with other effects or only with my active strat, always this noise. But in a parallel loop, no noise !

The noise / hiss appear only in a serial setup.
      • May 17, 2009
    • manson_reznor
      andifranssatto I got the same, but with my G-Major... I just posted on this tread 'cause I think it has the same solution. Question is, HOW FIX IT???

my set up: guitar -> amp input -> loop send -> TC Electronics G-Major -> loop Return

PS: My amplifier is a boutique one, based on DR...
      • June 15, 2009
    • manson_reznor
      Mactone12ax7 I'm using the G-Sharp in the effects loop of a Dumble clone - same problem, hiss. Hiss is reduced when using parallel mode, but it's still there. Any ideas? thanks

Mactone12ax7
      • May 6, 2011
    • manson_reznor
      davetcan I picked one of these up a month ago and ordered the footswitch. Unfortunately I'm having exactly the same hiss issue as reported above. Is there a fix for this? Will a software update help? The effects sound great but almost unusable at lower volume levels thanks to the noise. I've tried it in the loop of three different amps, make little to no difference.
      • April 14, 2012
  • pradador
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-01-25
    I just got an RC-2 and I'm trying to figure out where to place it in the effects chain. So I have two questions:

Assuming I only want to loop the guitar, I can place it right at the beginning, in Loop 4 after my stomp boxes, in the FX loop of my Randall RM4 preamp (which would effictively place it after OD/DS sections), or somehow place it at after all the effects in between output and power amp input.

Any advantages to placing it earlier in the chain? What cables (balanced/unbalanced) should I be using given the long cable runs.

Since I'll probably want to use the drum tracks and audio-in, I have to put it in between the G-System and the power amp, but I'm not a fan of drawing another long cable run from that section. Any other alternatives to this?
    read more...
    0 17,055
    • pradador
      Laird_Williams A lot of looper manuals will tell you to place the pedal early in the chain. The rationale for this is that you can then replay the looped signal with new FX/amp channels applied - effectively re-amping it.

I disagree for two reasons:

1) Many of us record a loop with the sound we want for that loop. We then want to play over that loop using a different sound. This is not possible if the looper is placed before the preamp.

2) Drum tracks sound awful when fed through an overdriven preamp. They also tend to sound pretty cheesy when fed through many guitar FX. Reverbs work ok. Subtle delays can work. Almost everything else sounds terrible.

Net: Placing the looper between the G-System out and the FX return (power amp in) is probably the most useful and flexible hookup method. Given that the pedal is only useful when placed close to your playing location, it makes sense to mount it with the G and then run the G's output to the input of the pedal, then run the output of the pedal back to where the amp is.

If you want optimal RF rejection in this rig, might want another channel of balanced/unbalanced conversion so the output of the looper runs balanced across the long cable run back to your amp.

The RC-2 only draws 50ma. So you can power it from the G-System power connectors if you aren't already doing so for a lot of other pedals. (The GS can supply only 200ma of 9V power).
      • January 25, 2009
    • pradador
      pradador Hey thanks for the good advice. I ended up placing the RC-2 in between the G-Sys output and the Power Amp input and it works as expected. The only bad thing is that I have my G-System rack mounted so the output cables are running pretty long and it's introducing some interference, but that's just a technical matter i can solve later on.

I did experiment a bit placing the loop pedal earlier in the chain and that turned out to be great to audition settings. It's hard sometimes to hear the difference between subtle settings changes so looping the riff lets you hear things a lot better. Another good use I found is to place it before the Wah pedal to practice with it. You can then work on the ideal wah for your song as it loops over and over.
      • January 27, 2009
    • pradador
      VVolverine Hello,

I also use the Boss RC2 but I like the looper really late in the chain (after the preamp) because you can also use different distortion sound when you are using an amp with more channels or different distortion peadals in front of the looper.

I also disagree with putting the looper early in the chain, beause it is much versatile that way I discribed at the top.

Regards,

VVolverine
      • January 27, 2009
    • pradador
      WarrentheMule Hi guys, not sure if anyone will read this as the last post was well over a year ago, but I'll give it a go in hope anyway!

I want a similar set up with the Boss Loop Station (RC20xl).

I have my Marshall JMP-1 going into a G-Major (not G-System sorry but I can't find a post regarding loop stations on the G-Major forum)

I want to change presets and use various tones to create the loops so putting the looper at the front of the chain is a no no. I'm thinking I have two options of looper placement...

A: in the effect loop of the JMP-1 (but would the G-Major afterwards effect the loop???) ...or..

B: between the G-Majors outputs and power amps inputs like you have mentioned above???

...but I have two outputs (left and right) from the G-Major and two inputs (left and right) into the Power amp but only one input and one output in the Boss loop station. Will I loose stereo and which way would be better?

Many thanks if anyone finds this post and can help.
      • July 7, 2010
    • pradador
      DemolitionColor This is interesting to me as well, since my last Loop in my true bypass looper has a Hartman Analog Flanger, a Neunaber FX Black WET Reverb, a BOSS RV-3 and a the BOSS RC-20XL.

I always thought these thought that these effects weren't designed to work at line level, in the FX loop. But it appears they can be placed there?
      • July 7, 2010
  • AidyTransmissio
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-01-23
    Has anyone else here signed up? I did yesterday, and it feels like waiting for Christmas morning to get a reply! Has anyone been selected yet?
    0 31,665
    • AidyTransmissio
      PDavyduck

I singed up last week and it feels like last month

hehehehehehe

would be incredibly cool to get a swing at this thing and road test it.
      • January 23, 2009
    • AidyTransmissio
      AidyTransmissio I wonder how long it's going to be before we find out...
      • January 23, 2009
    • AidyTransmissio
      whatthe17 Now that the unveiling at the NAMM show is over hopefully we'll be hearing something soon. Everyone I've told about the rebelhead450 is really excited and I hope to be one of the test pilots. I'll put it through some real world testing at my gigs and practice.
      • January 24, 2009
    • AidyTransmissio
      AidyTransmissio With the schedule I've got, it's going to be taken on a tour of London's public transport, a train to Cambridge, a coach to Manchester, in the studio and on every stage we're playing on. Absolutely mental, but a worthy test.
      • January 24, 2009
    • AidyTransmissio
      AidyTransmissio When will we be hearing about whether or not we've been selected for the test pilot scheme?
      • February 18, 2009
  • Mr_You
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-01-16
    Finally a unit with Univibe!! I hope its "for real" and not a cheap imitation like most.

But I just got my Nova System today to replace a midi footcontroller and a G-Major. Next step up for multiple amps would be the G-System.

I hope they eventually add the Univibe to the G-System if thats possible. I'm very impressed with the Nova System in these first few hours with it. Would definitely upgrade to a Nova System "2" with Wah Wah and Univibe some day.
    read more...
    0 5,922
    • Mr_You
      rune You actually get 2 quite different Univibe sounds with the G-Major 2. A classic, and a modern version. Both sound absolutely stunning. I think you will be very pleased with the sound of it.
      • January 18, 2009
    • Mr_You
      raven1a DAMMIT!!! I've been trying to figure out a way to get a Univibe "Robin Trower" sound with my G-Major for awhile. Now I'll have to upgrade to the G-Major 2. Damn!!!

Is there a way to transfer presets from the G-Major to the G-Major 2 or do you have to start over from scratch?
      • January 20, 2009
    • Mr_You
      rune Good question. Will have to get back to you on that one. I don't think it will be possible though since some effects have been moved around in the different effect blocks. I'll check with the developers though.
      • January 20, 2009
    • Mr_You
      pinmikaa So when can we expect to see this available for sale? I am also curious as to the PC/Mac editor. Will the G Major 2 have a Usb port on it, or come with a Midi interface and the software to do the editing with??
      • January 23, 2015
  • delsol69
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-01-16
    Hi Guys can somebody tell me what is the best way to set up my marshall JVM with g system I go it to 4 cable method but I see a drop on sound when fx loop is activated and distortion does not sound like its on just the amp alone ,can someone post the levels that I need to adjust or the best way to connect it , when i move fx button to 80% I get better sound but my tunner does not work silent, and at 100% it does , or if I have the right connection maybe i just need to move some buttons and one last question how do u guys turn it on and off ? thanks guys
    read more...
    0 6,218
    • delsol69
      tomxt89 Hi delsol69, I have the Marshall JVM210H and the G system and here is the way I have it set up (4 cable method):

Input from amp to Insert send on the G-System (using balanced cable)

FX loop send on JVM to Insert Return on the G-System (using balanced cable)

FX loop return on JVM to Output (mono) on the G-System (using balanced cable)

High quality guitar cable from the guitar to the Instrument input on the G

The balanced cables are EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to reduce noise and to improve sound quality (on both effects signal and to retain amp tone).

Then the FX loop that you have to use on the JVM is the serial/parallel loop with the mix knob set on 100% wet and with the button fx send level on -10dBu (I use the serial/parallel effects loop because it's less hot than the serial loop on the JVM, it "adds" less noise to the signal, this usually doesn't have to happen, but well, I tested them both so use the SERIAL/PARALLEL loop).

The levels on the G-System for the optimum volume level and NO tone degradation are as follows (the tone coming from the amp sounds the same with these levels with the G on the FX loop with the G on the loop/ with only the guitar plugged on to the head with no fx loop on; in other words, there will be no volume or tone degradation with these levels):

Input gain: 10db

Loop level: 0db

Loop headroom: 5db

Volume: 0db

Volume position: Output

Output level: 0db

Boost max: 0db

Insert select: Rear

REMEMBER: the ONLY thing that may differ on these levels with my setup and YOUR setup is the INPUT GAIN (because we probably have DIFFERENT GUITARS which mean they have different pickups= different output) SO, you have to check this on your own, I have an Ibanez AR2000VV Prestige model (humbucking pickups).

To set the input gain you have to do the following: 1) Unplug the cable going from the JVM's input and set it aside, and plug your guitar to the head (put the amp on OD orange), play the guitar and remember the volume at which you play; 2) plug the cable back to the JVM head (the one going from the Inset send from the G) and plug the guitar to the instrument input on the G and NOW try to equalize that volume heard before (I TOOK THIS FROM LIARDS WHITE PAPER, IF YOU CAN GET IT)

Hope this helps!
      • May 23, 2009
    • delsol69
      edoates I think the serial loop is "noisy" because it is so hot: line level rather than -10db (guitar effect level). I use a line level attenuator on the serial loop (or the "emulated" line out; same thing + a speaker emulator that I use for recording without mics) to control the return to the g-system. I'm not sure what circuitry in the JVM exists after the serial/parallel loop other than the JVM lousy reverb (always OFF for me).

The attenuator I use is the SMPro Nano Patch passive attenuator. It works fine.

Anyway, just another way to hook stuff up.

Eddie O
      • June 14, 2009
    • delsol69
      danaconda Hi,i have a jvm 410h and am hoping i can get it hooked up to the gsystem with the 4 cable method.Im just wondering if you guys got it sorted and are happy before i invest in the extras(hum eliminator etc).The parallel/serial fx loop set to 100% wet is the way to go then ya?I tried it already at -10 but the signal was still clipping.Maybe im doing something wrong?Ill try it again.Basically you got it sorted ya?Thanks
      • March 31, 2013
  • UffeK
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-01-15
    Hello guys,

Welcome to the new TC Electronic bass forum. We are all extremely excited about our new product range, and most of us are at Winter NAMM in Los Angeles right now introducing the range to the world.

On our main site - www.tcelectronic.com/bass, we will upload videos from the show on a daily basis to let you guys know what's going down at the TC booth.

Feel free to discuss what you think about the RebelHead and share any considerations about this, and I will chime in as we go.

Very best

Uffe
    read more...
    0 29,056
    • UffeK
      komar Quite a bit of hype, glad to see it finally arrive! Almost sounds like I'm describing something other than a bass rig here, but small package with nice tight cabs... I can't wait to hear in person!

Also, not only do I like the idea of short stack in-line speaker config for sound... it will be great for transport. I need to check stats for weight, but I bet they are not a back breaker like the SWR and Eden 4-10 cabs I lugged around in years past!

Assuming the 2-12 pumps out a little more lows, can you pair a 2-10 cab high with a 2-12 cab low?
      • January 15, 2009
    • UffeK
      rune Sure you can. You can use up to 3 RebelStack cabinets in any combination you like.
      • January 15, 2009
    • UffeK
      PDavyduck well, I can not wait to give these a try!!

looks like an amazing product guys.

cheers!

pd
      • January 16, 2009
    • UffeK
      whatthe17 I'm really looking forward to checking these babies out! This setup is the answer to my prayers to the Bass Gods! Hope you guys have a great time at NAMM.
      • January 17, 2009
    • UffeK
      ursus Me too want to try them out. When do they hit the stores in Denmark/Sweden?
      • January 18, 2009
  • Ladylove
    Contributor - Level 1
    2009-01-10
    Greetings,

I am a long time TC Electronics enthusiast..I have the Gold Channel and the 2000 reverb..
    Since my budget won't allow the purchase of a new Finalizer Express or the 96k...I ran across an original finalizer wizard for cheap...This unit has the 16 - 20 bit converters. I usually record to one or two tracks at a time and build up my sessions this way...I never use the upper resolutions, 88.2 or 96k anyway...

My plan is to record mic to Grace m101 to Finalizer to Akai Dps24 II inserts (bypassing the pres in the Akai), My question is this: Will the 20-bit converters on the Finalizer affect the sonic quality significantly compared to the Finalizer Plus? Option #2: I can SPDIF out of the Finalizer to the SPDIF of the Akai? (The Akai also has digital L & R input source)..On mixdown I can dither all songs on a project to 16 bit 44.1k, return the 2 track signal back to the Finalizer in SPDIF for mastering and then back to my computer SPDIF input for recording 2 track to final CD...

I know this is long and drawn out...but any help and feedback you could give would be most appreciated...

Thanks,
    Linda
    read more...
    0 4,172
  • onestop
    Contributor - Level 2
    2009-01-06
    Has anyone attached/mounted their NS to a pedalboard (specifically a PedalTrain board) and how? I assume you could simply slap some adhesive velcro on the bottom but are there any other alternatives?
    0 55,414
    • onestop
      kjk2205 Hi. I have the same question. Did you ever manage to fix it ?. Does the pedaltrain case lid

shut with the Nova fitted to the board ?

I haven't bought a Nova yet but would like to know in advance. thanks
      • January 11, 2009
    • onestop
      robberns Yes, that is how I have my Nova System attached to my Pedal Train.

And the soft case lid does close.
      • January 11, 2009
    • onestop
      Danrues I carry a Nova System inside a SKB Stage Five pedalboard along with a Boss SL-20 slicer, a Boss RC-20XL Loop Station and a 95Q Crybaby Wah. The Nova is attached to the pedalboard by two 3/4" velcro strips and is just at the left corner of the pedalboard base.

As a caution measure I put a 1-1/2" eggcrate foam pad on the inner top of the pedalboard case.

The SKB is heavy as hell but i have not gotten any loosen toy inside of it yet...:/
      • January 12, 2009
    • onestop
      kjk2205

robberns wrote:

Yes, that is how I have my Nova System attached to my Pedal Train.

And the soft case lid does close.

Ah thanks...mine is the original hardcase.
      • January 13, 2009
    • onestop
      onestop I'm using a PedalTrain 2 board with hard case and found that after attaching the Nova System to my board (and I'll get to that part in a second), I wasn't able to close the case.

So I made a flat pedal board to fit in my PT2 case and bingo, fits like a charm!

As for velcro, I ended up "gently" peeling off the rubber pad off the bottom of the NS and attaching it to a piece of aluminum foil (to save it for later) and slap some velcro right to the bottom of the TC unit. Works like a charm and I've preserved the rubber pad on the bottom.
      • January 19, 2009
  • davidevox2
    Contributor - Level 2
    2008-12-14
    Hello, has anyone used the BBE Sonic Stomp with the G-System? The BBE Sonic Stomp is basically a 482i Sonic Maximizer, but in a pedal form. I was just curious how well it worked with the G-System. Happy Holidays to all!

Dave
    0 1,897
    • davidevox2
      Robpags I was just looking up tone buffers and saw someone mentioned using the BBE sonic stomp as a buffer before the GSystem to bring back the punch that lacks in the 4 cable method.
      • April 11, 2012
    • davidevox2
      CodyCass1 I use a rack mounted 882i on my stereo rig but I ONLY use it for cleans. I think it ruins the sound of your gain channels.
      • April 11, 2012
Go to page