Solutions

306,251 members
190,623 posts
  • Cpelaez1
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-03
    I have my g brains in the rack. I want to get the crybaby rack wah and use that. But I don't want two long cables from my rack to the board just for the wah pedal (I like the clean look with one cat5 cable to the board and using the two jacks under the floor controller.). Anyway can I somehow connect the rack wah to the g brains so that my expression jack on my controller board can use the crybaby rack? Pretty much i want to use the rack cry baby by connecting a pedal to the expression jack on the floor board, but it would be using the rack wah instead of the g system wah.

Thanks a lot
    Regards,

Cristian Pelaez
    read more...
    0 2,374
    • Cpelaez1
      orion21 Have you not been able to dial in a good wah sound with the G? I just sold my classic crybaby and 535Q because I think you can get really good results from the G-system. And the rack crybaby is a boatload of $.......
      • February 2, 2012
    • Cpelaez1
      Tritjay I'm pretty sure it can't be done. Does the rack wah have midi? Even if so, the g can't send cc messages via the expression pedal,i tried controlling my whammy with it but it didnt work. I was in the same boat as you (didn't want to run cables just for a wah). Now I'm using the G system wah and I'm in love with it! Set to 5, 45, 85

I used it live for the first time last night in my Pantera tribute band www.facebook.com/cowboysfromhellau and it sounded amazing!! Plus it's soooo easy to use. I even combined wah and delay control for the Solo in "this love" using the one expression pedal. When the toe was down it increased the delay level and slows the speed. Heel down reduced the delay level but sped up the delay all controlling the wah at the same time. It sounded great and if you know the song then you'll probably understand why the delay is set that way.

Give the G wah a good crack before you make a decision
      • February 4, 2012
  • Borntogrill
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-02-03
    I am a proud owner of Ns. I 've spent many hours trying to switch channels in my midi controled V2 head but i am very confused. Is there a trick i didn't manage to figure out or it is not possible to do this? Thanx in advance
    0 1,411
    • Borntogrill
      Bmoney the Nova will only transmit a midi message when you change Presets. Depending on how your amp responds to midi, you should be able to get it to react to a Preset change on the Nova System.

I couldn't find the V2 owners manual on the Randall website, otherwise I might be able to provide more help.
      • February 3, 2012
  • richardstevenpa
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-02
    did not see a D-Two area for this forum. Perhaps a moderator can move my post or answer.

Greetings

I have been troubleshooting on my own and at a loss here. I am not sure if I have an intermittent malfunction (or the problem is just me...user error...ha ha).

I own a D-Two. I cannot figure out how to program it to do make MIDI patch changes with my Korg FC6 MIDI pedal.

Sometimes after I power up the D-Two, it does respond to pedal commands (but only changes to the "factory" settings on the TC. I cannot get the TC to change to a "user" patch. I am assuming that I cannot make and store edit changes to a factory patch, right?

Other times when I power up the D-Two, it simply does not react AT ALL to my MIDI pedal. During these times when ever I use the knob on the TC to change patches (and push recall), all the buttons & numbers continue to blink (as though it was never recalled).

I have swapped batteries in my pedal, used AC and swapped MIDI cables too. Lastly, I have done a factory reset on the D-Two (many times). DO I NEED TO SET UP YOUR D-TWO IN SOME PARAMETER MENU TO MAKE THINGS WORK?

I cannot seem to pin-point what i am doing different when the MIDI pedal does work with the D-Two (VS. when your unit does not react). Is there a firmware update or something for the T-Two? How do I get it inside the unit?

UPDATE - i have noticed that in the menu, there is an MIDI area or Factory banks and one for User banks. sometimes, i can get my unit to start responding to MIDI program changes (in the users patches, that I need). however, after i power down my D-Two and then re power up, it no longer functions. I am a total loss here...are the electronic fried in this unit (so that it does not remember changes)?at this point, I would love for someone to give me simple step-by-step instructions on how to get my users patches to react to my midi pedal. if these steps do not work consistently, i am going to send this unit back for repair an pay TC,s "flat fee" to swap out a circuit board all together...what a pain to troubleshoot!
    read more...
    0 4,011
    • richardstevenpa
      TC-Mike Hi Richard,

please contact our support team for trouble shooting. It could be a potential malfunction of the unit.

For trouble shooting, please check that your D-two and your Midi controller are set to the same midi chanel.

It is also a good idea to exchange the Midi cable testwise or verify that the program change via your controller works with other units?

To access the user patches you have to send a bank change message before the preset number to adress the user bank of your D-Two: (more infios in the manual and the midi specs)

", sending a controller 0 or controller 32 change first can be used to indicate bank

number (when sending other than zero selects user-bank as opposed to factory-bank). "
      • February 2, 2012
    • richardstevenpa
      richardstevenpa you know what is funny? i read on Google that these days, TC is miserably failing in their tech support department (ignoring emails & web submissions completely). it turns out, this is true.

i emailed US and overseas repeatedly (front desk and tech support) and did not get one reply. this was before February too.

i discovered the answer to my problem and will share. maybe i can get a a job at TC and replace the slackers who get a paycheck for nothing (lol):

I use the D-Two with 2 other units (a Steinberg MR816csx preamp and Tascam SS-R1 recorder). I connect all three via SPIDF (so no analog...only digital, with a MIDI cable connected to the TC).

In the scenario, if all 3 units are not powered on together (with the TC on last), the TC's MIDI ports will not be responsive. I discovered this only because sometimes, I would attempt to make MIDI programs on the TC without having the need to actually play my whole system (thus keeping my Steinberg & Tascam off).

I am not a production engineer for these products so I am at a loss for why this all occurs. not everyone uses SPDF with MIDI so maybe no-one at TC really has any experience here.

I was a tech support rep for Carvin Guitars for 7 years an also worked at Guitar Center. Seems like TC could use some shaping up in their POST sales-department. No offense to you Mike...thanks for your effort here. HR should be embarrassed though...after all, this is TC (not Zoom or Digitech).

www.RichardStevenPavelec
      • February 8, 2012
  • BlueSpecial
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-02
    Hello,

so after 1 month struggling with the G-System to get an optimal sound, I found the source of my problem... and that was the G-System AC adaptors for the pedals...

I was getting a good sound but not that OPTIMAL sound I was used to before powering the pedals with the G-System. I knew the problem wasn't the G sucking tone because, for several times, I took it out of the chain just leave it there powering the pedals nothing else and it still sounded the same for me.

Fortunately, I had my previous AC adaptor still lying around. I unplugged ALL my pedals from the G AC adaptors and powered them using the external one and the difference was NIGHT AND DAY. I mean, it was a not subtle, IT WAS NIGHT AND DAY!! The sound become fuller, richer, all my tone was there... Incredible how this make a difference. Of course this external pedal power costed me around 150 USD and it's very nice quality.

Anyway just wanted to shared my experience here... for me it made a lot of difference. Like I said was nothing SUBTLE but it was really night and day...

Maybe this can help out some of you to get an even better tone...
    read more...
    0 6,321
    • BlueSpecial
      edoates I'm using a Godlyke Power-All and it works great with my pedals, as long as you don't suck to much power: Klon Centaur, Boss Fender FRV, "Brown Sound". My Butler Tube Driver must have 110V AC;
      • February 6, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      bucketbot I have had no problems using the G system power outputs as long as the total current draw is below 200ma.

• February 6, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      Banenis I've had good luck with the g sys power too. I've used my pedals through a few amps on their own power and on the g sys power through my gig rig and I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in tone.
      • February 6, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      neilbunker

Banenis wrote:

I've had good luck with the g sys power too. I've used my pedals through a few amps on their own power and on the g sys power through my gig rig and I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in tone.

+1 Banenis and bucketbot. I have actually tried running pedals with an external supply when I was trying to diagnose noise that ended up being a ground loop. No change in tone or noise for me.
      • February 6, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      BlueSpecial Many thanks for sharing your experiences. What do you think could be the cause of my BIG difference in tone (for the better) using an external power supply?
      • February 6, 2012
  • op1e
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-01
    Need to learn up on what relays do what on this Traynor and where to get a switching cable for it. Need to just switch between the 3 channels. I read of another guy that tried a regular 5 pin and GCX Control Switcher and had no luck because of the way the FS functioned. Got a feeling I'm in for a tough ride with this one.
    read more...
    0 2,197
    • op1e
      getwidth33 I just seen how old your post is, but I was able to get it figured out. I do not think you are talking about me posting somewhere, although I posted at a couple of places about my Traynor amp and controlling it.

I was able to get the amp switching working through MIDI. Its a little bit of a long story and I am happy to share if you still need to get yours setup.
      • April 12, 2013
  • lifele55
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-01
    As per the topic, I'd like to get an idea what do you guys usually set the expression for? Volume control? Parameter changes?

I've set mine to Global Volume but it seems that I rarely use it and I'm considering taking it out from my board. The FV500H is kinda bulky and the spare real estate will do me some good..

I've tried setting it to control different parameters but none that I really utilise.
    read more...
    0 1,243
  • boyscout
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-02-01
    1. I've had an SCF for a few weeks. Yesterday I stumbled on a video review of the Nova Modulator, and it *seems* more versatile (more sound possibilities excepting stereo which I don't use) for less money. Am I missing something?

2. All the pedals on my board are connected to Voodoo Lab switchers (which just put the pedal in-line or not). When selecting the SCF I hear a loud electrical pop, which none of the other 10+ pedals on the board do. What can I look for / do to prevent this?

TIA
    read more...
    0 2,302
    • boyscout
      boyscout OK, no replies to my post, here's my own reply to myself after more looking and fiddling.

1. I bought the Noval Modulator. It certainly does have more features than the SCF, very versatile. However its sound on chorus didn't seem as smooth / warm / musical as my (old version) SCF. In fact most of its sounds seemed a bit harsh-edged on my Marshall JVM 401. It also sometimes added a sound of its own, often on hard attacks and especially on the trem setting, which was a kind of high-pitched ring tone that could be heard for a second or two after the strings were struck. I returned the pedal.

2. In the TC FAQs I found one referring to the loud popping noise I'd get from my SCF pedal when I engaged it with an external (Voodoo Lab) switch. Here's the link:

http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries/20994287-scf-makes-a-loud-pop-when-being-engaged-and-disengaged

I did the repair recommended and it seems to work at eliminating the pop. I wonder if less-serious pops sometimes heard from my other TC pedals (Nova Delay & Polytune) could be repaired the same way?
      • February 7, 2012
  • favino
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-02-01
    Is it possible to run the editor program at the same time as controlling it (gmajor2) with
    a ground control pro /gcx setup.

Scenario: Rehearsing. I need to adjust a lot of parameters
    and rework the order of presets on the fly via my PC and the editor,
    yet I want my ground control/and gcx to be hooked up and working at the same time.

How do I achieve this. I currently only have a small 1 i/o midinterface for the computer,
    do I need a bigger one or is there any clever way to connect it all?
    read more...
    0 2,673
    • favino
      crguti you must use the midi-in connector to connect the editor program to your G-major. So, you cannot use the midi-in connector in your G-major to connect your GCP.
      • February 13, 2012
    • favino
      Tripoutski There are creative ways that you can make this happen. I do it with my GM2 and my X-15, however my X-15 is modified with a 7-pin midi connector. I connect the X-15 to my computer via the old 5-pin in and out, then I connect the X-15 7-pin connector to my GM2 (which has a 7-pin to 5-pin in/out/power harness in my rack - photos here).

It sounds convoluted and it is. Probably not worth the effort, but it shows that it is possible. Being able to do what you describe was a bi-product of what I was trying to do, however it is cool to be able to do it.
      • February 14, 2012
    • favino
      favino Thanks!

Tripoutski, that may be a bit more complicated than what i had in mind, nevertheless it´s kinda cool!

So, i´ll just have to fibble around the unit in rehersal and make the editor changes afterwards.

A usb connection to computer and the software would be much appreciated by me..
      • April 11, 2012
  • PetMonster
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-31
    Hi, I'm having a major issue when connecting the G System to my Mesa Electradyne when using the 4 cable method.
    I set it up as specified - instrument into the G system input, the G system insert send to the amp input, the amp's FX send to the G system insert return and the g system output to the amp's FX return

Yet when I do it this way it disables both the volume and Master Volume controls on the amplifier.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong or what the fault could be?

Thanks in advance.
    read more...
    0 2,463
    • PetMonster
      Laird_Williams

PetMonster wrote:

Hi, I'm having a major issue when connecting the G System to my Mesa Electradyne when using the 4 cable method.

I set it up as specified - instrument into the G system input, the G system insert send to the amp input, the amp's FX send to the G system insert return and the g system output to the amp's FX return

Yet when I do it this way it disables both the volume and Master Volume controls on the amplifier.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong or what the fault could be?

Thanks in advance.

I am going guess that all of the aformenetioned controls are in the preamp section of the amp. I also am guessing that when you change amp channels you get no change in tone - and probably no gain on the high gain channel too - correct? And those functions are certainly in the preamp section too.

So - PROBABLY - you have bypassed the preamp section of your amp. "How could that happen?" you might ask - and well you should. But you put the preamp in a LOOP (the insert loop is an FX loop, after all, just like the other loops on the G). So what happens if that loop is bypassed?

Turn on your insert loop (LOOPS menu in EDIT mode). Then - to save yourself going insane - turn on the insert LOCK (UTILITY menu in MENU mode) on as well. (Be sure to do this while the insert loop is turned on...if you turn on the lock with the insert loop off...then...well...what happens then should be pretty self-evident).
      • January 31, 2012
    • PetMonster
      PetMonster Thanks, that solved the issue. It seems simple when you present it like that. Cheers again for your help.

All the best.
      • February 1, 2012
    • PetMonster
      Laird_Williams

PetMonster wrote:

Thanks, that solved the issue. It seems simple when you present it like that. Cheers again for your help.

All the best.

Welcome to a very large club of G-System users who had the same issue...
      • February 1, 2012
  • zaidcrowe
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-31
    https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/4343-boss_sl_20_slicer

So - yet another external integration pedal from me

Could the G be used to integrate with the slicer's midi tap temp function?

Thanks again all ...
    read more...
    0 3,211
    • zaidcrowe
      Banenis If you can find out what cc# you need to send the tap tempo on you can set the g sys tap function to also send that cc#. I do that with my eventide modfactor.
      • January 31, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      zaidcrowe Awesome - thanks for your help

Apparently it will receive on any channel!

How do I go about actually set this up G-side then?
      • January 31, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      Banenis Super easy. Hit Edit. Hit Menu (bank up) scroll to MIDI. Hit Enter (bank down). Scroll to Tap: and set the CC# to whatever CC number the Slicer will accept a tap tempo signal on.

It is important to note that MIDI Channel and MIDI CC# are not the same. The slicer can listen for midi on any channel but it probably needs a specific CC# to set the tap. I've never used it so I don't know for sure how to implement this feature on the SL-20.

Good luck.
      • January 31, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      zaidcrowe Thanks man

So I've tracked down the manual: http://lib.roland.co.jp/manual/en/dl_08-23961/SL-20_e1.pdf

It looks like it's looking for MIDI clock - which I assume could be different to CC messages being sent - there's no mention of a cc# at all :/
      • February 1, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      zaidcrowe Any of the midi guys out their got any input on this?
      • February 2, 2012
Go to page