Solutions

306,020 members
190,366 posts
  • deazle
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-28
    I have a Hughes & Kettner 20th Anniversary Combo Tube Amp. I just purchased a G-System and hooked it up the following way.

Guitar>G-System Input Instrument
    G-System Output L(mono)>Amp FX Loop Return
    Amp FX Loop Send>G-System Insert Return
    G-System Insert Send>Amp Input

I went through a few of the presets and everything seemed to be working fine. But, when I switch channels on the amp (with either the G-System or the amps switch) nothing happens. It's like there's nothing going into the INPUT of the amp. I even unplugged the cord into the amp input and nothing changed. I'm guessing it's a global setting or something, but can't find anything in the manual or on the forum search.

Thanks in advance,
    DeaZle
    read more...
    0 1,539
    • deazle
      Laird_Williams

deazle wrote:

I have a Hughes & Kettner 20th Anniversary Combo Tube Amp. I just purchased a G-System and hooked it up the following way.

Guitar>G-System Input Instrument

G-System Output L(mono)>Amp FX Loop Return

Amp FX Loop Send>G-System Insert Return

G-System Insert Send>Amp Input

I went through a few of the presets and everything seemed to be working fine. But, when I switch channels on the amp (with either the G-System or the amps switch) nothing happens. It's like there's nothing going into the INPUT of the amp. I even unplugged the cord into the amp input and nothing changed. I'm guessing it's a global setting or something, but can't find anything in the manual or on the forum search.

Thanks in advance,

DeaZle

I can tell, just by the way that you described your connections, that you are not thinking very clearly about signal flow. This is the key to the solution of your problem.

So lets start by specifying your connections in a disciplined manner, so the signal flow is obvious and intuitive from reading it. Here are two rules:

1) For each connection, since signals flow FROM output TO input, put the output part on the left and in input part on the right. (You did this ... good)

2) Place the connections IN THE ORDER that the signal flows through them (here, you have an issue).

Proper order:

Guitar --> G-System Input

G-System Insert Send --> Amp Input

Amp FX Send --> G-System Insert Return

G-System Output --> Amp FX Return

Q1: Ok...so NOW, what item, exactly, is IN your insert loop? Think hard about it...it is some part of your amp...what part?

A1: You PREAMP is in the insert loop. In fact "FX Send" is just another name for "preamp output".

Q2: What is the function of the preamp section of your amp?

A2: It adds most of the distortion to the signal.

Q3: You are not getting any distortion, so what must be happening?

A3: You probably don't have the signal passing through the preamp! How could that be happening?

Q4: Go back to Q1! The preamp is in a LOOP. What would happen if the insert loop were BYPASSED?

A4: The guitar signal would BYPASS the insert loop, and hence the preamp!!!

So, try turning on (UNbypassing) the insert loop in the LOOPS menu on the G. And, if you want to keep your sanity - after you do this - use the INSERT LOCK in the UTILITY menu so it never gets bypassed.

If you really want to understand the G and your amp - read this:

http://www.guitaraffair.com/pdfs/g-system-configuration-and-troubleshooting-guide.pdf
      • January 28, 2012
    • deazle
      deazle Thanks. I was not thinking in terms of the actual flow. But I think all the cables are connected properly. Now for the next question. I've been through all the menus (I think) and I can't find a LOOPS menu.
      • January 28, 2012
    • deazle
      deazle Found it!

Thanks Laird!

DeaZle
      • January 28, 2012
  • dr_willy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-28
    I have these 3 things for sale.

1: Newer G-system with the updated input section that is suppsoed to help with tone sucking. Its practicly brand new, has a couple of small wear marks. Looking for 900 shipped for this bad boy.

2: Rjm mini amp gizmo, i used this for having the g-system control my mesa road king, would like 200 shipped for this.

3: Mission sp-1 pedal in chrome, never used, has a couple of small wear marks from bring dropped once by accident, pedal works great. 120 shipped.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffBeerMan/IMG_0141.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffBeerMan/IMG_0142.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffBeerMan/IMG_0143.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffBeerMan/IMG_0144.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffBeerMan/IMG_0145.jpg
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffBeerMan/IMG_0146.jpg
    read more...
    0 2,366
    • dr_willy
      Imselln Is it necessary to have the amp gizmo to channel switch the roak king series 2? I have one on the way and was hoping the g system would handle that.

Is the g a limited model or the ib
      • January 28, 2012
    • dr_willy
      dr_willy yes you should use the amp gizmo to change channels on the road king head, i have a series 2 also and its recommened on this forum as well as other places. If you use the relay switching system of the g system you can cause permanete damage to your head. I have both the gizmo and the special cable to hook the gizmo to the road king if you are interested i can do a packege deal for 240 with the cable.

The g system is neither a limited or a ib modified, its a standard silver but after tc made the limited they started putting the upgraded input section in the newer silver ones they were producing which is what this is. If you interested in the g system plus amp gizmo let me know i can do a good packege deal price on that also.
      • January 28, 2012
    • dr_willy
      Imselln Ok. I just sold my axe fx and Im selling my mfc 101 and vht 2/50/2. When that happens ill look you up.
      • January 28, 2012
    • dr_willy
      dr_willy shoot me an email at [email protected], thats the best way to get a hold of me, i have this stuff listed on the gear page and the axe fx forum as well, so you can get a hold of me their too.
      • January 28, 2012
  • jdosher
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-28
    I'm trying to set up a patch that has a 144ms delay and a 6.90Hz tremolo (1/6ths at 104bpm), then map delay time and mod rate to the expression pedal so that at toe-down the rates are 144ms & 6.90Hz, and as toe goes up, the delay gets longer and the tremolo rate decreases. It seems that when setting up the expression pedal range 100% means "100% of the value a parameter can have" and not "100% of what you've set the parameter to". This means that, for example, at toe-down the tremolo rate rockets up to 2KHz.

Lowering the pedal MAX from 100% doesn't really do the trick: a change of +/- 1% over/undershoots 6.9Hz. It also makes pedal position too sensitive (I can watch the screen and see the rate jump back and forth between 6.90 and 7.30Hz without even touching the pedal).

I'm I going about this wrong? Is there a different way to accomplish what I'm trying to do? The rotovibe effect doesn't have any problem with setting an upper rate and having the G-system not go past that in the toe-down position.
    read more...
    0 1,388
    • jdosher
      Mel I believe this is a bug in firmware. The maximum LFO rate for tremolo should be 20Hz not 2KHz which makes absolutely no sense.
      • August 16, 2012
  • Gatusho
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-28
    Hey, i have a question, considering that i can loop 1-4 pedals in the g-system. Can i use the preamp insert for a 5th pedal?

Thanks!
    0 3,148
    • Gatusho
      Ben_vdd Erm no, since you need the PREAMP insert to insert your *wait for it* preamp
      • January 28, 2012
    • Gatusho
      jdosher Yes. You can stick anything you like in the 5th/preamp loop. In essence a preamp provides distortion and EQ; if you're getting your distortion elsewhere (eg a pedal(s) in loops 1-4) then your preamp simply serves as an EQ. I've stuck an EQ pedal in the 5th loop with out any issues.
      • January 28, 2012
    • Gatusho
      Ben_vdd I was assuming that he didn't have a preamp in another loop since he asked for it, but color me corrected
      • January 28, 2012
    • Gatusho
      Gatusho Exactly, im using 4 overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedals from loop 1-4 (dod 250, VS Jekyll and hyde, Proco Rat and Fuzz Factory) and i want to add a Roger Linn Adrenalinn II (that has a really shity bypass), in the preamp insert, so i can activate it only when i need the FX from it, and when not, is true bypassed. Is that possible? Can i make that setting in the G-system? Thanks!
      • January 29, 2012
    • Gatusho
      jdosher Yes you can do that no problem. Any of the loops can be assigned to buttons as well, if you want to turn the preamp insert loop on/off on the fly. Just make sure you have insert lock turned off.
      • January 29, 2012
  • jdosher
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-28
    Hi, I'm setting up my new G-System and I'm a little confused over how EQ Lock works. It doesn't seem to be doing what the manual states, or I'm misreading it. The manual states
    0 1,387
    • jdosher
      jdosher WTF? Half my post disappeared!

Hi, I'm setting up my new G-System and I'm a little confused over how EQ Lock works. It doesn't seem to be doing what the manual states, or I'm misreading it. The manual states "When you activate the Lock feature, the EQ settings for the currently recalled preset will be used on all presets." I read this as a way to apply a global EQ setting (ie boost/cut, freq, Q). Instead I'm getting the individual settings that exists per preset and simply locking "eq on" globally.

Thanks
      • January 28, 2012
    • jdosher
      LanBuddha LOL, even the TC Forum has bugs in it. Before you post just copy and paste your text just in case. Same thing happens to me every other time I post. We are all hoping for it to get fixed in Forum 2.0
      • January 28, 2012
  • BlueSpecial
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-28
    I just discovered something odd with my G-System and I was wondering if any of you guys have experienced something similar.

I have two presets: on switch 4 I have Pitch Shifter (Voice 1: 300, Voice 2: 700) and on switch 5 I have a Intelligent Pitch.

When I change from preset 5 to 4, the Pitch Shifter looses its parameters. If I then click in other preset (for instance 3) and get back to 4, then the preset is correct. If I change from 4 to 5, the Intelligent is also OK.

So it only happens when I change from a preset using a Intelligent Pitch to other using Pitch Shifter. The Pitch Shifter looses its parameters...

Does this happen to any of you?
    read more...
    0 2,694
    • BlueSpecial
      Tritjay This happened to me exactly like you said. I just reinstalled the firmware and that fixed it.

Hope that works for you
      • January 28, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      BlueSpecial Thanks Tritjay! I will give it a try tonight!
      • January 29, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      TC-Mike Hi BlueSpecial,

This is a known issue:

TT873: When changing from a preset with an intelligent Pitch shifter to a preset with a Pitch shifter the saved Shift parameter isn't loaded correctly and reset to "12"- As aworkaround you have to reload the preset twice and then it will load with the correct stored value.
      • February 14, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      BlueSpecial

[email protected] wrote:

Hi BlueSpecial,

This is a known issue:

TT873: When changing from a preset with an intelligent Pitch shifter to a preset with a Pitch shifter the saved Shift parameter isn't loaded correctly and reset to "12"- As aworkaround you have to reload the preset twice and then it will load with the correct stored value.

Yes exactly what happens... it resets to "12" and then when I re-load it is all OK.

I hope you guys will fix it in one of the next updates then

Many thanks!
      • February 14, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      bucketbot Good to know!!
      • February 15, 2012
  • utterlyguitarde
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-27
    I have a new Podcast about all-things guitar (including everything TC...Nova System, G-System, you name it!), and I would love to interview anyone that's in town for the event!
    0 1,632
    • utterlyguitarde
      thesnue does austria, europe count too?
      • January 27, 2012
    • utterlyguitarde
      utterlyguitarde Well, it counts if you're coming to Austin, Tx for the SXSW (South By Southwest) music festival...you just need to be here, in-person, so I can interview you.

Rock on,

Scott.
      • January 28, 2012
  • mptrin
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-27
    So I realize the words smaller rig probably have no business on this forum but I seriously need to find a way to condense. I am open to any suggestions as to how you guys have minimized the gear you bring to gigs. My setup currently consists of a 2 x 12 combo and a 2 x 12 cab with head. I love the sound of the stereo effects but can't justify lugging all of this sh** to every gig anymore. I have been through just about all 600 posts under the Show your rig topic and liked many of the setups, but I am looking for a way to keep a stereo setup with less gear-like one amp. I know someone out there has an answer(s)....
    read more...
    0 5,531
    • mptrin
      Marky944 You could do what God (Alex Lifeson) does; instead of a speaker, use a speaker simulator. This can then be plugged straight into the PA. Never tried this myself, but if it is good enough for God......

You always get one of them Fender Mustang ii modelling amps. Just joking of course, though to be fair, I have just ordered one for the house! I was caught up in Scott's (G System videos) enthusiasm for this little amp and thought I better have one!

I have to say, my back had a much easier life before I discovered tone....

Best of luck anyway.

Mark
      • January 27, 2012
    • mptrin
      mptrin

Marky944 wrote:

You could do what God (Alex Lifeson) does; instead of a speaker, use a speaker simulator. This can then be plugged straight into the PA. Never tried this myself, but if it is good enough for God......

You always get one of them Fender Mustang ii modelling amps. Just joking of course, though to be fair, I have just ordered one for the house! I was caught up in Scott's (G System videos) enthusiasm for this little amp and thought I better have one!

Best of luck anyway.

Mark

Hey Mark, Thanks for the idea. I feel silly because someone mentioned a Palmer pdi-03 in another thread I posted and I guess I overlooked it. That unit may actually be the answer to my prayers as it could provide a load to my Head and also allow me to run directly to the FOH PA. So I would need only to bring my Marshall VM head, a rack, and the G System. This seems reasonable. Do you know if I can run out of this unit in stereo to the mixer. I'm not really sure about the connections with this unit, a head, and a PA. There are four line outs in the back (I think for connection to the mixer) and then there's a filter output (not sure what this is for). If you (or anyone) have any idea about connections here that would be great help before I dish out the $700.

-Marco
      • January 28, 2012
    • mptrin
      Laird_Williams

mptrin wrote:

Marky944 wrote:

You could do what God (Alex Lifeson) does; instead of a speaker, use a speaker simulator. This can then be plugged straight into the PA. Never tried this myself, but if it is good enough for God......

Best of luck anyway.

Mark

Hey Mark, Thanks for the idea. I feel silly because someone mentioned a Palmer pdi-03 in another thread I posted and I guess I overlooked it. That unit may actually be the answer to my prayers as it could provide a load to my Head and also allow me to run directly to the FOH PA. So I would need only to bring my Marshall VM head, a rack, and the G System. This seems reasonable. Do you know if I can run out of this unit in stereo to the mixer. I'm not really sure about the connections with this unit, a head, and a PA. There are four line outs in the back (I think for connection to the mixer) and then there's a filter output (not sure what this is for). If you (or anyone) have any idea about connections here that would be great help before I dish out the $700.

-Marco

I have a rig very much like what you are thinking about putting together, except I use the more recent Palmer ADIG-LB. See my posts below for some details:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/post/65541/#p65541

There are several posts in this thread that are relevant too. It is a little dated - I have some different pedals now - but it is MOSTLY correct and certainly still applies:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/post/40650/#p40650

(Complete wiring description is a few posts down)

Also...my white paper describes this rig in detail, with diagrams, in the appendices.
      • January 28, 2012
    • mptrin
      mptrin

Laird_Williams wrote:

mptrin wrote:

Marky944 wrote:

Best of luck anyway.

Mark

-Marco

I have a rig very much like what you are thinking about putting together, except I use the more recent Palmer ADIG-LB. See my posts below for some details:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/post/65541/#p65541

There are several posts in this thread that are relevant too. It is a little dated - I have some different pedals now - but it is MOSTLY correct and certainly still applies:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/post/40650/#p40650

(Complete wiring description is a few posts down)

Also...my white paper describes this rig in detail, with diagrams, in the appendices.

Thanks Laird I'll check out that Palmer unit.
      • January 28, 2012
    • mptrin
      mptrin Hey Laird,

1) I was wondering what the difference is between the ADIG-LB and the PDI-03.

2) Also I noticed that both units have only one XLR out. The XLR sounds better I'm sure, but how does this work for running the G in stereo?

3) Do you have any issues hearing yourself at gigs, considering you are at the mercy of the sound/monitor tech?

Great Rig btw, I'd love to hear it.

-Marco
      • January 28, 2012
  • rjbee
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-27
    Can this be done and if so can it be used to affect all mics in the PA system
    0 713
  • ufoDesign
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-27
    All the top row switches doesn't perform their dialing function, on/off works fine. It's not possible for example to quick-dial input/output.
    I've updated firmware to 4.02, same version that it shipped with and I also did an additional reset (filter+comp at power-up) Hardware problem?
    Anyone had the same issue?
    read more...
    0 908
Go to page