Solutions

306,099 members
190,448 posts
  • Peilokilo
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-27
    Hi there.
    I'm starting a new project where I'm the only instrument (double bass) and I want to have nice reverbs, delay and modulation, specially chorus. Anyone had experience with double bass + G natural?
    I always play mic (DPA 4099) + pick up (Fishman full circle). My intention is to plug both in G natural and send the signal to P.A. And recieve the signal in two monitors (stereo)...
    Thanks a lot! (sorry for my english...).
    pablo
    read more...
    0 3,176
    • Peilokilo
      Peilokilo By the way, I'm new here. I hope I'll be of some help posting my experience with the double bass + G natural as soon as I start playing with it.

Thanks!

Pablo
      • January 27, 2012
  • jeff_g
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-27
    Hello - from years of gigging (and incessant tossing about by drunk/disgruntled/underpaid roadies) I am missing 1 of each of the following:

G Force parameter/value wheel

Gmajoradjust (inner) wheel

I've been getting by by "swapping" knobs back and forth, from shaft to shaft, but it's aggravating...can anyone point me towards where I might be able to get replacements for these? I can't imagine it's be a huge problem, right?
    read more...
    0 7,907
    • jeff_g
      jeff_g I need replacement parts - these (plastic) knobs:

G Force parameter/value wheel

Gmajor adjust (inner) wheel

Where can I get them?
      • March 17, 2012
    • jeff_g
      jeff_g The GForce has two plastic knobs on the front panel, they just slide onto the shaft for parameter adjustment - I have lost one of them.

The front panel overview in the GForce manual refers to these as the "PARAMETER WHEEL" or "VALUE WHEEL".

The GMajor has two sets of knobs, each with "wheels" for adjustment - large knobs and smaller "wheels" that go around the knobs - I have lost one of these "wheels" also.

The front panel overview in the GMajor manual refers to these as "EDIT WHEEL (inner)" and/or "ADJUST WHEEL (inner)".

If it's possible, I would like to order one "PARAMETER WHEEL" for the GForce and one "EDIT WHEEL" for the GMajor.

I don't know how else to explain this, I hope it is clear. Thank you!
      • September 26, 2012
    • jeff_g
    • jeff_g
      jeff_g I can't believe the inanity of the responses I've gotten to this question - and that it's TEN MONTHS since I posted it and this is as far as I've gotten.

I'm really glad that TC's stuff is so SO good that I rarely need you, cuz your customer support is truly TRULY disappointing...booo...
      • October 31, 2012
    • jeff_g
      MalfromOz jeff_g

I think several of the replies here are just spammers.

They are often off topic, rude, weird, etc.

They always include links to unrelated web shops.

I have reported several of them to the forum.

Don't give up; it's a little(!) slow here

but I have seen some useful replies.

I don't know where to get replacement knobs.

I would search (google, ebay) a lot.

There might be generic knobs that would be ok.

Electronics shops, where you can compare to the original,

might be a source.

Good luck in your search.
      • November 1, 2012
  • compusic
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-27
    Hi, below is an excerpt from Harmony-G XT's manual,

'Understanding the Manual key display:
    The key in Harmony-G XT is shown in 3 sequential
    flashes. For example, an E might flash, then a dash “-”,
    and then a number 3 indicating E minor 3.The number
    corresponds to one of three major and three minor
    modified scales.
    read more...
    0 1,342
  • Colinboy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-26
    Hi folks

looking to start building a rack at the moment and am wondering what type of power conditioner you guys recommend i get.Ive seen alot of you guys use furman's products and ive seen some use other brands like phonic and samson.Can you guys advise me on model also?

Also is it definitley a must for a rack type setup to have one of these?

Cheers
    Colin
    read more...
    0 3,319
    • Colinboy
      elcap420 Coliln,

No matter whether you are in a rack or not it is VERY HIGHLY recommended to use a power conditioner. For one, it protects your expensive gear from spiking power sources and helps regulate uneven power fluctuation. At the very least it is one On/Off switch for your rig.

I have been using Furman products since the 1980's and been happy with their products but I will let others chime in and offer their two cents on this one. Congrats on the choice and have fun designing it!

Cheers
      • January 26, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Banenis I also use furman power. The standard ml8 or whatever they're calling it now is usually a good bet.
      • January 26, 2012
    • Colinboy
      mptrin I also use a Furman power conditioner, it's a good idea for a complex rig.
      • January 26, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Marky944 Guys.

I was about about to fix my AC-210AE to the pedal board (power to DC-10 and G-S), but is there anything wrong with having one of of these next to the wall outlet? So everything downstream is protected? Or does it not work like that?

I use a Cornford MK50ii for gigs and rehearsals.

Cheers

Mark
      • January 26, 2012
    • Colinboy
      bluestometal I use a Furman and I'm really happy with that but I'm sure there're other units out there you may be interested in depending by your needs. Internet really helped me in choosing mine
      • January 26, 2012
  • kimradzik
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-26
    I am on my second ND-1 for the same issue and I am wondering if it is a setting issue.
    When the pedal is on, the repeat volume is super low, almost nonexistent. The guitar colume is fine, it's just the repeats you cannot hear, any help on this is greatly appreciated!
    read more...
    0 2,312
    • kimradzik
      Laird_Williams

kimradzik wrote:

I am on my second ND-1 for the same issue and I am wondering if it is a setting issue.

When the pedal is on, the repeat volume is super low, almost nonexistent. The guitar colume is fine, it's just the repeats you cannot hear, any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Are you in a serial loop or a parallel loop? If parallel, what is the wet/dry mix on your amp? If serial, the ND also has a wet/dry mix for each preset. Check that.
      • January 26, 2012
    • kimradzik
      barney I plug my ND-1 in and everything lights up ok, however there is a dramatic loss in output volume versus when I take the unit out of my pedal loop. Adjusting the mix control makes little or no difference. Something may have failed or maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Any advice here much appreciated.
      • February 24, 2012
  • zaidcrowe
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-26
    Hi all,

I've just migrated my rig to a larger rack (if any ones looking for a 6u shallow rack pm me ) and noticed that my decimator is humming (only when its not engaged).

I'm in 4cm.

The decimator is velcroed to a shelf, I touch both the pedal and shelf (which is attached using hum-frees along with everything else in the rack) the hum stops.

My assumption is some sort of grounding problem? I've powered the unit from both the G itself and the Voodoo labs pp2+ and the issues is present with both.

I'm using a furman power conditioner, my audio and AC cables are separate as possible.

Somebody save my sanity
    read more...
    0 16,842
    • zaidcrowe
      Laird_Williams

zaidcrowe wrote:

Hi all,

I've just migrated my rig to a larger rack (if any ones looking for a 6u shallow rack pm me ) and noticed that my decimator is humming (only when its not engaged).

I'm in 4cm.

The decimator is velcroed to a shelf, I touch both the pedal and shelf (which is attached using hum-frees along with everything else in the rack) the hum stops.

My assumption is some sort of grounding problem? I've powered the unit from both the G itself and the Voodoo labs pp2+ and the issues is present with both.

I'm using a furman power conditioner, my audio and AC cables are separate as possible.

Somebody save my sanity

I had a ground loop with the Decimator G-String and the G-System - no matter what AC supply I had it on. Had to put an ISO transformer between the guitar out and the G-System input.
      • January 26, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      zaidcrowe wow - that sucks, whats the cause of this?

when you say ISO transformer - do you mean a DI box?

If so - which would you advise?
      • January 26, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      Ben_vdd Same thing here, ground loop caused by the G-string. Connecting the Ebtech HE in the "standard" way for 4cm solved this for me.

insert send > HE ch2 > amp in

fx loop send > Gstring gate in > insert return

output GS > HE ch1 > fx loop return
      • January 26, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      zaidcrowe Thanks both.

Does any one know why this is happening though? how can a noise gate be causing this? I've never read about it being an issue - it's generally regarded very highly as a pedal - I'm kinda shocked with it being a noise gate, but adding hum to the signal!
      • January 26, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      Ben_vdd Well it's ground loop hum vs noise in your signal chain that's amplified in the preamp. AFAIK two different things and the G-string can correct only the latter.

Laird will be able to explain this a million times better.
      • January 26, 2012
  • bluestometal
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-26
    Hi Guys

This's my 1st post here. To control my rack rig I use a Viscount Px3000 midi controller. I've no problem using it for patch selecting but I'm looking to use it to send #CC to the G-Major (to on/off single effect blocks into the same patch). Unfortunately I don't know how to set the Px3000 to do that or IF it can send #CC. I'm not able to find any user manual on internet (and it looks like you cannot contact Viscount), so I'm asking if anyone of you uses or used it or knows how and if about it.

Thanks
    read more...
    0 1,669
  • guillespiers
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-25
    Hi all! I´ve been doing some changes in my rig setup, and I found that I have a lot more sustain and gain pluggin my guitar like this:

Guitar > JMP-1 Preamp Input
    JMP-1 Preamp Output (-20db and 12 o clock output level) > Gsystem´s rear instrument input
    GSystem Output > Power amp

I know this is not the proper way to plug my preamp to the G. As we all know, this is how the signal flows from our guitars to our amps with the G:

Guitar > AD (analog to digital) > Filter > Comp > DA > Loops > Preamp Loop > AD > MOD > Pitch > Delay > Reverb > DA.

I now have my guitar plugged like this, and I have a better sound:

Guitar > Preamp > AD (analog to digital) > Filter > Comp > DA > Loops > AD > MOD > Pitch > Delay > Reverb > DA.

I also have less electrostatic noise, and hizz, but I cannot use the wah wah or any other filters, because they´re after the preamp

Maybe those AD or DA converters are sucking a lot of tone, and adding some noise?
    Also, my guitar signal is now been compressed after the preamp and not before... (don´t you think this should be the proper way?)

Thanks a lot for your opinions!
    read more...
    0 7,571
    • guillespiers
      Laird_Williams

guillespiers wrote:

Hi all! I´ve been doing some changes in my rig setup, and I found that I have a lot more sustain and gain pluggin my guitar like this:

Guitar > JMP-1 Preamp Input

JMP-1 Preamp Output (-20db and 12 o clock output level) > Gsystem´s rear instrument input

GSystem Output > Power amp

I know this is not the proper way to plug my preamp to the G. As we all know, this is how the signal flows from our guitars to our amps with the G:

Guitar > AD (analog to digital) > Filter > Comp > DA > Loops > Preamp Loop > AD > MOD > Pitch > Delay > Reverb > DA.

I now have my guitar plugged like this, and I have a better sound:

Guitar > Preamp > AD (analog to digital) > Filter > Comp > DA > Loops > AD > MOD > Pitch > Delay > Reverb > DA.

I also have less electrostatic noise, and hizz, but I cannot use the wah wah or any other filters, because they´re after the preamp

Maybe those AD or DA converters are sucking a lot of tone, and adding some noise?

Also, my guitar signal is now been compressed after the preamp and not before... (don´t you think this should be the proper way?)

Thanks a lot for your opinions!

There are LOTS of opportunities with noise and tone-suck in any complex guitar rig. Nearly all of them have NOTHING to do with some having digital converters. Your rig sounds different in both these configurations, yet both configurations have EXACTLY the same AD/DA conversions. Yes, even when you have the FX in the front end turned off in the G, the signal STILL passes through the front-end AD/DA. It is just that the front-end DSP code does nothing to the signal as it passes through. Soooo...your improvement in tone CAN'T be because you removed AD/DA from the signal path - because you DIDN'T remove any

Ok - here's the issue with your method. You made a common mistake and accidentally changed TWO really important things when you went from your old config to the new one. That means that YOU DON'T KNOW whether BOTH changes were needed to make the tonal improvement or, if only one - WHICH one. If you want to get back to 4-cable so your compressors and filters sound better then you need to determine EXACTLY where the problem is.

"Wait", you say. I only changed one thing!!

No - you changed two:

1) The guitar is now plugged into the amp rather than the G-System input.

2) The amp FX send is not plugged into the G-System rear input rather than the Insert Return.

Both of these changes are important. They both radically alter the impedance matching between the various components. The guitar pickups are now interacting directly with the amp input circuit. The amp FX loop is talking to a MUCH higher input impedance in the G instrument input than it was when plugged into the G-System insert return. Soooo....let's break things down a little more so we can actually identify WHERE the issues were occurring.

Try wiring as follows (this is a TEMPORARY setup to help us do diagnosis. I am NOT suggesting that you keep it this way in the long term.)

Guitar --> JMP Input

JMP Output --> G-System Insert Return

G-System Output --> Power Amp Input

Make sure the insert lock is on. How are the noise and tone now, as compared to your first and second configurations that you described above?
      • January 25, 2012
    • guillespiers
      guillespiers Hi Laird!! Thanks a lot for your help!! I did what you suggested, and found that the sound was exactly like my second configuration.

It is still heavier and brighter, and I don´t have noise at all.

Also! I do not have any input signal, and I cannot use any filters, like wah, formant, etc.

I also have an AC-3 acoustic simulator in loop #1, but It does not work
      • January 25, 2012
    • guillespiers
      Laird_Williams

guillespiers wrote:

Hi Laird!! Thanks a lot for your help!! I did what you suggested, and found that the sound was exactly like my second configuration.

It is still heavier and brighter, and I don´t have noise at all.

Also! I do not have any input signal, and I cannot use any filters, like wah, formant, etc.

I also have an AC-3 acoustic simulator in loop #1, but It does not work

Ok - so your issue is in the front end.

My guess is that the guitar and G-System input interact differently than the guitar and amp input do. This happens in some rigs, as does some noise on the input. You might try putting a clean boost/buffer between the guitar and the G-System input. Lehle Sunday driver works well for a lot of us. There are others out there as well. Wire as follows:

Guitar --> Booster/Buffer In

Booster/Buffer Out --> G-System In

G-System Insert Send --> JMP In

JMP Out --> G-System insert return

G-System out --> Power amp in

Turn the input gain on the G-System down to 0dB

Turn the booster/buffer on and leave it on all the time

Then follow my white paper instructions for adjusting the front-end of the G, except instead of adjusting the G-System input gain, vary the boost level on the booster/buffer instead.
      • January 25, 2012
    • guillespiers
      guillespiers Thanks Laird, you are a genius man! I´ll be looking for a good pedal booster/buffer today.

There are not too many instrument/effects stores here in Lima, but I found this pedal: MXR MC401 in one of them. This is a boost pedal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq5qjFARZuU

Do you think this will do the trick?
      • January 25, 2012
    • guillespiers
      guillespiers I haven´t tried the boost pedal yet, but instead, I added a DBX Eq in the front (with bypass enabled), to only use the input gain from it (just to test it...)

I don´t know if the effects would be different, by using a boost pedal instead of a bypassed Eq, but it didn´t worked as I expected. I had the same amount of noise and less gain.

This is the way I wired it:

Guitar > DBX Eq input (bypassed)

Eq output > Gsystem rear input

Gsystem send > JMP-1 input

JMP-1 master output > gsystem return

Gsystem output > power amp

I want to be sure if the boost pedal would actually work. By this test, do you think there´s gonna be a difference? The input level of gain from the Eq is full! (+12), but i´d still got hizz noise.
      • January 26, 2012
  • utterlyguitarde
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-25
    I have a new Podcast about all-things guitar (G-System included), and I would love to interview any G-System users that are coming to Austin in March for SXSW.
    0 1,748
    • utterlyguitarde
      zaidcrowe man - i'd love to be going

id love to go to any g sys related hook up tbh

is there such thing?
      • January 25, 2012
    • utterlyguitarde
      Paul_Parlotones Yeah we gonna be there, would be cool to have a chat. Our band is called The Parlotones.

Cheers!
      • January 25, 2012
    • utterlyguitarde
      ZombieSheep I'd love to be there, Scott, but I seriously doubt I'll make it. (I've said I'll go every year, but have never made it yet)
      • January 25, 2012
    • utterlyguitarde
      utterlyguitarde Thanks Paul,

Send me an email to: [email protected] and we can set up the particulars.

Rock on,

Scott.
      • February 1, 2012
  • deazle
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-25
    I have a VHT Pitbull 45 combo. The cable on the switch is a midi type connection. Is it possible to do channnel switching with this amp?
    0 640
Go to page