Solutions

294,385 members
177,480 posts
  • damcka
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-05
    Hi all,

I'm now starting to put the final equipment into my rack, but I think I may run into a problem.....

So, in my rack I have a JMP-1, POD XT pro (rack pod), Nova Drive, and obviously the G....among other things. I'm thinking I'll put the pod in loop 2.

I want to uise the G to control all of the equipment, so that I can use some clean patches from the Pod and some distorted ones from JMP-1....adding the ND wherever and whenever I like.

Does anyone have clue how I would connect the midi cables in this instance??

Ps I already have the JMP-1 and ND working via midi.....I just want to include the pod xt pro to my set up.

Any suggetsions from users with experience of running 2x midi pre amps with the G would be much appreciated!!

dave
    read more...
    0 4,947
    • damcka
    • damcka
      damcka Thanks man....

does anyone think this could be achieved without the need for external devices??.........Surely i can't keep shelling out at this rate!!!!!!!!
      • January 5, 2012
    • damcka
      bucketbot If every device you use has a midi thru then yes just...... daisy chain them all...if not...then no!
      • January 5, 2012
    • damcka
      damcka I always thought midi through was the same data as midi out.....anyway, i'm going to have a go this weekend.

from memory

JMP-1 = midi in, out and thru

Nova drive = midi in and out

G system = midi in and out

Pod Xt pro = Midi in and midi out
      • January 6, 2012
    • damcka
      bucketbot By my understanding no.

Midi thru port will transmit exactly & ONLY the data rec'd at midi in with nothing added from that device.

Mid out will ONLY transmit the data output from that particular device & will not re-transmit the data recd at midi in.

But i'm no midi expert...that's just the way I have gleaned it to work.

By your device listing I would say you will need something along the lines of what I suggested. :/

However these can be had fairly cheap & once bought is obviously useful for any midi gear.
      • January 6, 2012
  • wuyang110
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-04
    hi guys i'm the new for TC major 2 so please help me about how to use harmonizer..thank you very much
    0 1,130
  • paradoxdin
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-04
    Hello, My name is D'in, from Singapore. I used to use line 6 pod x3 live, and I probably think it as junk cos its sounds too digital ,until I heard the delays from TC , the built quality, so I am about to purchase Nova System, but I have worries and I hope you can answer my questions. I have 2 bands, One pop rock, the other is metal. I know the inbuilt overdrive/distortion is not going to work on the metal band, are there anyway to use it with my external pedals?
    Example: Presets 1~ Clean + reverb + slapback delay
    Presets 2 ~ External Distortion + NS Compression +NS Whammy
    Presets 3 ~ External Distortion + Delay (Which can spillover to either presets 1 and 2)

I know the G system can do all these effects, but its too expensive and bulky for me.

hope the users here can solve my problems, sorry if my english is bad.

here's my playing with metal style http://youtu.be/26WfRox6Xa0

and my pop music http://youtu.be/4g8C7QVNIN8
    read more...
    0 5,781
    • paradoxdin
      paradoxdin it is really tht hard?
      • January 5, 2012
    • paradoxdin
      paradoxdin i think either you or me are in the wrong page,hahaha.awesome
      • January 6, 2012
    • paradoxdin
      re hey there!

what exactly is your question?!

cheers
      • January 6, 2012
    • paradoxdin
      paradoxdin Hello, basically i need to loop(s) for my analog pedals, any way i can do that with the NS? G system is too ex and bulky for me. Thanks for helping!
      • January 6, 2012
    • paradoxdin
      re there are no loops for external pedals on the nova system. you would have to use any drive pedal in front of the ns. as far as i know, nova drive connected via midi would be the only way to include a drive pedal into a preset, if that is what you need!

cheers
      • January 6, 2012
  • Colinboy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-03
    Hi Guys

Well ive hit my first obstacle with the new IB modified G system.I have followed Lairds white papers to the letter except when i come to page 32-33 hooking up the G with my amp.The amp is a Blackstar series one 200 head by the way
    I dont have any TRS-TRS cables only mono instrument cables and i dont have any of the ISO boxes that he mentions to prevent ground loops.All i did so far was connect a cable from the left output of the G directly to the amp fx return then another cable from the fx loop send to the insert return like the instruction say.When i take the amp off standby for the first connection and the second with the preamp back in the signal chain there is the same noise level for both which is very low and hardly noticeable being honest.
    When i plug the guitar in to the amp and take the amp off standby there is a very loud humming noise even when the guitar volume is turned off.Ive tried switching cables,taking my laptop out of the room and there is still the same noise.Ive also tried changing guitars just incase.I have two top quality musicman guitars both with dimarzio humbucker pickups.
    Any ideas on what could be wrong here?Its seems like the amp is fairly quiet but it must be the guitar?

Thanks in advance for the advice as i know you guys are probably sick of us newbies coming in asking the same old questions.

Cheers
    Colin
    read more...
    0 9,232
    • Colinboy
      Laird_Williams

Colinboy wrote:

Hi Guys

Well ive hit my first obstacle with the new IB modified G system.I have followed Lairds white papers to the letter except when i come to page 32-33 hooking up the G with my amp.The amp is a Blackstar series one 200 head by the way

I dont have any TRS-TRS cables only mono instrument cables and i dont have any of the ISO boxes that he mentions to prevent ground loops.All i did so far was connect a cable from the left output of the G directly to the amp fx return then another cable from the fx loop send to the insert return like the instruction say.When i take the amp off standby for the first connection and the second with the preamp back in the signal chain there is the same noise level for both which is very low and hardly noticeable being honest.

When i plug the guitar in to the amp and take the amp off standby there is a very loud humming noise even when the guitar volume is turned off.Ive tried switching cables,taking my laptop out of the room and there is still the same noise.Ive also tried changing guitars just incase.I have two top quality musicman guitars both with dimarzio humbucker pickups.

Any ideas on what could be wrong here?Its seems like the amp is fairly quiet but it must be the guitar?

Thanks in advance for the advice as i know you guys are probably sick of us newbies coming in asking the same old questions.

Cheers

Colin

And there is no noise in the amp with the guitar plugged in and no G-System in the loop?

What happens when you have the noise and then touch the guitar strings?
      • January 3, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Colinboy

Laird_Williams wrote:

Colinboy wrote:

Hi Guys

Cheers

Colin

And there is no noise in the amp with the guitar plugged in and no G-System in the loop?

Thanks for the quick reply Laird.Yes there is aloud humming noise when i plug the guitar directly into the amp even with the volume pot turned down fully.There is no noise when the guitar is plugged directly into the amp with no G connected.When i turn up the guitar and pluck the strings then the guitar is perfectly audible but that humming noise is still there and ive tried two different guitars.Im plugging the guitar into the amp with a good quality 20ft planet waves instrument cable.
      • January 3, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Laird_Williams

Colinboy wrote:

Laird_Williams wrote:

Colinboy wrote:

Hi Guys

Cheers

Colin

Thanks for the quick reply Laird.Yes there is aloud humming noise when i plug the guitar directly into the amp even with the volume pot turned down fully.There is no noise when the guitar is plugged directly into the amp with no G connected.When i turn up the guitar and pluck the strings then the guitar is perfectly audible but that humming noise is still there and ive tried two different guitars.Im plugging the guitar into the amp with a good quality 20ft planet waves instrument cable.

This is going to sound weird - I need you to just mute the strings with your hand. Don't "pluck" or play - just be sure your hands are touching the strings and then hold them there. Does the noise level change?
      • January 3, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Colinboy Laird really appreciate your help.i will put my hands on d strings like you said and report back to you tomorrow.need to get sleep now as I have work early in d morning.

Thanks

Colin
      • January 3, 2012
    • Colinboy
      krubel54 honestly if you want to get the G up and REALLY rocking you're not gonna be sleeping much and be ready to spend at least a couple hundred bucks on MORE gear to get the beast under control! That's what it was like for me. I'm broke as a joke, but my tone's getting there... =D
      • January 3, 2012
  • krismael
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-03
    hello,

how many pedals (that runs on a 9v battery) you can power with the output comin out of the Polytune?
    0 1,700
    • krismael
      Laird_Williams

krismael wrote:

hello,

how many pedals (that runs on a 9v battery) you can power with the output comin out of the Polytune?

Not many - and it will kill a battery - but if you power it from a DC power supply, it will pass 9V power to other devices quite nicely.
      • January 3, 2012
  • Colinboy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-03
    Hi guys

Proud new owner of the new IB modified G system.Still getting my head around it and following the white papers to the letter of the law.
    My question is i never recieved a cat 5 cable with the package when i bought it a few weeks ago.Is this normal or do i have to buy this separatley?
    read more...
    0 1,421
  • tahmazych
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-03
    During play playback on my laptop (I use a Presonus Studio One & Focusrite Saffire 6 usb audio interface), need to switch presets on my G-Force via midi from DAW (the purpose of this - not to use a midi controller under my feet). That is, at some point, for example, a preset number 1 (drive), then at a certain time a preset number 2 (Clean), etc.
    Does anyone do that? Please help solve this problem.
    read more...
    0 2,659
  • sambo
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-02
    Hello Users...

I'm still Using my G System with Software 2.?

I Would like to Update First if all with 3.0 and later with 4.02.

Is there any paper work hiw to Update the G correctly?

Does the Update Works also on a Win7 based Notebook?

Thanx for reply....
    read more...
    0 1,001
  • krubel54
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-02
    I unplugged my expression and volume pedals while the G was turned on. That was a NO-NO apparently and now I have to reload the firmware but the newest version available is 4.02. My ib modifed G-System came with version 4.04. Was it loaded with the beta version that people are talking about or is it an actual version 4.04? I am currently looking into backing up my presets with the editor.
    read more...
    0 6,356
    • krubel54
      neilbunker 4.04 should be the same as the beta that is available. Did your pedals stop working? The purpose of 4.04 is to fix this bug. If they still work fine, you have nothing to worry about. If they stopped working, you will want to contact TC through the Beta available post that is stickied at the top of the forum. They can get you the 4.04 software, and they would probably like to know if you are having issues.
      • January 2, 2012
    • krubel54
      krubel54 Thanks. I remember initially having success with my ernie ball mono volume plugged with the y cable into the controller's volume jack. Unfortunately that pedal is acting oddly even straight into the amp, so I can't say anything about that pedal until it's working again.

As for my Boss FV-500H, I tried hooking it up to the controller's exp jack. Since the FV500H has 3 jacks for IN, OUT, and EXP you have options to try using it as a Vol or Exp type of pedal. I tried both methods with the appropriate cables (TRS for Exp; TRS to Dual-TS for Vol). I plugged both methods into the controller's Exp jack. The Y Cable method (Vol type pedal) resulted in no communication. Fail. The TRS method (Exp type pedal) calibrated with a horrible 0-23 respective MIN-MAX.
      • January 2, 2012
    • krubel54
      neilbunker Based on other's reports here, it sounds like firmware is not your issue. The firmware issue that 4.04 addresses is for pedals that stop working entirely. On my G, when this happens, the pedals calibrate fine, but will not alter the parameters they are assigned to. I think I've read a few posts where people have reported not being able to calibrate at all.

If the pedal calibration and functionality are working, but not achieving a wide range, I would suspect it is not an issue with the G, but with the pedal itself, or another variable like the cable. There is at least some anecdotal evidence that cable quality can affect calibration range, it might have been bucketbot who reported this if I remember correctly. Maybe he can chime in.

As far as 0-23 being horrible, how does it sound when controlling effects parameters or volume? Do you hear "stepping" instead of a smooth transition between heel down and toe down? If it works well, the low calibration range is nothing to worry about. The G is designed to work with a wide range of volume and expression pedals, which is why you need to calibrate in the first place.
      • January 2, 2012
    • krubel54
      bucketbot

neilbunker wrote:

Based on other's reports here, it sounds like firmware is not your issue. The firmware issue that 4.04 addresses is for pedals that stop working entirely. On my G, when this happens, the pedals calibrate fine, but will not alter the parameters they are assigned to. I think I've read a few posts where people have reported not being able to calibrate at all.

If the pedal calibration and functionality are working, but not achieving a wide range, I would suspect it is not an issue with the G, but with the pedal itself, or another variable like the cable. There is at least some anecdotal evidence that cable quality can affect calibration range, it might have been bucketbot who reported this if I remember correctly. Maybe he can chime in.

As far as 0-23 being horrible, how does it sound when controlling effects parameters or volume? Do you hear "stepping" instead of a smooth transition between heel down and toe down? If it works well, the low calibration range is nothing to worry about. The G is designed to work with a wide range of volume and expression pedals, which is why you need to calibrate in the first place.

Yes definitely. I was initially using a home made Y cable & I noticed that the Auto On function in the wah block was operating intermittently, ie switching the wah back on without moving the pedal. I checked the calibration range & noticed that occasionally the calibration numbers varied by 1-2 when the pedal was not moving. I purchased a new Insert cable from Thomann & the problem disspareared & I found I was getting a calibration range of around 0-99 with my 2 FV500H's. Both pedals have worked flawlessly since then.

I can only assume that the home made cable was either not providing a constant resistance or had a loose connection which was the cause of the problem.
      • January 2, 2012
    • krubel54
      krubel54 I'm hearing stepping. It's a Boss FV-500H. The TRS cable is a Monster Studio Link ($30 for 1m). The TRS-Dual TS is a Livewire 1m.

I looked to quote Laird but there are too many posts on this topic! Basically he states that if you "think" you might have unplugged the pedal cables while the G System was on, then you have confused the G System and must reload the firmware. That's why I posted this topic. I would have just gone and done it but I don't understand why my ib modified came with 4.04. Is this the BETA that fixes the pedal bugs? I think we're all a little confused and would really appreciate TC taking this more seriously.
      • January 2, 2012
  • plecfob
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-01
    Hi there, one of the stomp buttons literally fell out at my show last night, is it a DIY fixable job?

thanks
    0 2,547
Go to page