Solutions

298,542 members
182,155 posts
  • Colinboy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-09
    Howdy folks

New user of the G system here.Just looking for advice from you guys on where to buy decent TRS-TRS cables to connect the G system to my amp.
    Im living in Ireland can someone recommend a dealer somewhere in Europe or in the UK to buy these.I was looking at the mogami cables.any other brands you guys would recommend?
    read more...
    0 19,870
    • Colinboy
      zaidcrowe Hi Colin,

I went through these guys: http://www.bulletsound.com/ (ask for barry - also irsh and tell 'em I told you to call em)
      • January 9, 2012
    • Colinboy
      zaidcrowe or - I got a couple pre made (mogami) from here: http://www.langtoninfo.co.uk/showitem.aspx?isbn=0801813076196&loc=GBP

or - google "lava cable" - another great company for custom stuff
      • January 9, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Colinboy Thanks Zaid i actually just sent ya an email there mate asking you where you got yours.Need to get these cables sorted asap so i can get the G up n running!

I will check out the links and let you know how i get on.

Also how many hum eliminators do you think i should get?
      • January 9, 2012
    • Colinboy
      zaidcrowe If you can afford it - get 2, it's a great bit of kit to "have around" even if its not an immediate requirement.

From my experience with the g sys and black star amps - I only use the one, but kept the other in my rack jet incase
      • January 9, 2012
    • Colinboy
      Colinboy

zaidcrowe wrote:

If you can afford it - get 2, it's a great bit of kit to "have around" even if its not an immediate requirement.

From my experience with the g sys and black star amps - I only use the one, but kept the other in my rack jet incase

Will do mate thanks for the advice.I hope all this extra money is going to be worth the tone!
      • January 9, 2012
  • milleramt
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-09
    I've had my NS (limited) for 2 weeks and noticed the clean bleed right away on the OD settings. Since have joined forum and found out this has been addressed on the forum alot. Has anybody contacted TC about this and received any feedback? Wonder if they'll fix in the new generation of NS? Or an upgrade? They addressed it when they came out with the NDR-1. I have (2) G-System's and (1) NDR-1 and thought the NS would work as a small gig setup but the OD/Clean Bleed is a real set back.....
    read more...
    0 2,430
    • milleramt
      elfredoo the clean bleed in the overdrive is wanted since it replicates the tubescreamer. the overdrive bleed in the clean is not wanted and not yet been adressed
      • January 9, 2012
    • milleramt
      rickms

elfredoo wrote:

the clean bleed in the overdrive is wanted since it replicates the tubescreamer. the overdrive bleed in the clean is not wanted and not yet been adressed

Not that I want it ,but I have a new NS Limited and have not heard the distortion bleed into the clean. My understanding is that to create the situation you need to have the overdrive gain up and the overdrive unselected. Not that I want it but it is strange that it is not occurring?
      • February 22, 2012
    • milleramt
      yes2matt

rickms wrote:

Not that I want it but it is strange that it is not occurring?

No, I have an older one, it doesn't "bleed" od signal into the clean tone either. I'm glad for that Do you think your SansAmp really helps your sound? I currently play my NS direct-to-PA. I don't use the NS overdrive, don't like it. I use a Tim boost/crunch pedal in front instead.
      • February 25, 2012
    • milleramt
      rickms

yes2matt wrote:

rickms wrote:

Not that I want it but it is strange that it is not occurring?

No, I have an older one, it doesn't "bleed" od signal into the clean tone either. I'm glad for that Do you think your SansAmp really helps your sound? I currently play my NS direct-to-PA. I don't use the NS overdrive, don't like it. I use a Tim boost/crunch pedal in front instead.

I think it does make a huge difference. I could not find a good sounds with the ns speaker emulation. I am happy with the overdrive and distortion with this combination.
      • February 26, 2012
  • sergio74
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-09
    How to set-up a marshall jmp-1 into a gmajor into a marshall el84 20/20 power amp into a midi pedal? HELP!!! Thank you!!
    0 1,883
    • sergio74
      guitarded plug the gmajor in the fx loop of the jmp.

on the back of the jmp run a cable from the fx out of the jmp into the input of the gmajor.

then run a cable from the out of the gmajor into the fx return of the jmp.

plug guitar into the input of the jmp. run a cable from the output of the jmp into the input of the 20/20 power amp.

now, depending on your midi pedal, you will have to decide the best way to set up your midi.

I would run a midi cable from my midi board into the gmajor and the run a midi cable from the gmajor midi thru into the midi in of the jmp. Set the gmajor to listen on chan.1 and the jmp to listen on chan.2, then program my board with switches to operate the two seperately by programming some switches to send info on chan.1 (to the gmajor) and some on Chan.2 (to the jmp). but there are tons of options when it comes to this kind of thing so you are the only one who can decide what is right.

good luck!
      • January 8, 2012
  • orion21
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-08
    So I know I have a ground issue because it is driven by the USB cable (if i unplug it, all is silent and well.) the noise is only in the amp effects loop (a bit on the send, most on the return). I got a Behringer hd400 and run that in the loop and it makes ZERO difference. Any thoughts??

The other strange issue is that this is only with my DSL100 and not my mark iv.
    read more...
    0 14,234
    • orion21
      Laird_Williams

orion21 wrote:

So I know I have a ground issue because it is driven by the USB cable (if i unplug it, all is silent and well.) the noise is only in the amp effects loop (a bit on the send, most on the return). I got a Behringer hd400 and run that in the loop and it makes ZERO difference. Any thoughts??

The other strange issue is that this is only with my DSL100 and not my mark iv.

1) Others have reported that the behringer unit did not work for them. I can't say why - or whether they were using the unit properly.

2) If the loop is between the G and your laptop, then putting isolation between the G and your amp won't do much. That would be kind of like damming the Volga River when you want to create a lake on the Dneiper River
      • January 8, 2012
    • orion21
      orion21 Ugh......I'm really running out of money.......

Kinda weird how it doesn't affect the boogie though? My setup is here:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/11239/new-rig-and-schematic-to-match
      • January 8, 2012
    • orion21
      Banenis Yeah I've only heard bad things about the behringer one. You should use the ebtech one that the rest of us use.

Behringer makes the worst stuff on earth. Some of it is enticing because it's cheaper but it's just always a piece of junk.

I bought a tuner from them because I figured, "they can't screw up a tuner, right?" Wrong. The worst tuner I've ever used in my life.

I will never use anything from that company ever again. Especially in my guitar rig.

If you've already invested all the $$ in a nice amp and a g system, just go buy a real hum eliminator to go with and throw your behringer in the trash where it belongs.
      • January 8, 2012
    • orion21
      orion21 I had a 15 yr old mpx-g2 in the same configuration and I never had any of these issues. I got this because of the extra relays, faster switching, spillover and harmonizer. I lost a ton of functionality with the G2 and I am beginning to wonder if I made a mistake......

I have solved the hum issue on the marshall by unpluggin the USB from my computer. I still have a noise issue (not hum) on the front-end of my Mark IV that I haven't solved yet.
      • January 9, 2012
    • orion21
      zaidcrowe

Banenis wrote:

Yeah I've only heard bad things about the behringer one. You should use the ebtech one that the rest of us use.

Behringer makes the worst stuff on earth. Some of it is enticing because it's cheaper but it's just always a piece of junk.

I bought a tuner from them because I figured, "they can't screw up a tuner, right?" Wrong. The worst tuner I've ever used in my life.

I will never use anything from that company ever again. Especially in my guitar rig.

If you've already invested all the $$ in a nice amp and a g system, just go buy a real hum eliminator to go with and throw your behringer in the trash where it belongs.

Amen - this company SUCK.
      • January 9, 2012
  • webstersp
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-08
    I have always been a guitar straight into a tube amp type of guy!
    Never used any pedals beside a tuner and vary rarely an od to tight the gain.

Long story short, I bought an imac with logic 9and started a small recording studio.
    Played with some amp sims and tried few effects and would love to use some with my band!

Now, the nova system is in my price range ( but not the G sysyem). I know that you can't use
    the 4 cable method wit it so, my question what is the best way to use the nova system?
    In the loop or in front of my amp? In the loop so i have to say goodbye to the OD, compressor etc???
    And in front same thing for delay, reverbs etc??
    read more...
    0 4,034
    • webstersp
      Shiner It sounds great in front of an amp on the clean channel, even the reverbs, delays and stuff. I have been using the G-system for two years i a 4 cable set up, but I just got me Nova System as well because I needed smaller rig from time to time. I run the Nova System i front of both my amps (Hiwatt Hi-gain 50 and my old Roland Bolt 30) , and it sounds great on both. As long as you have a good clean channel with some headroom your fine.
      • January 8, 2012
    • webstersp
      webstersp I would use this with a blackstar HT 40 combo +2x12blackstar artisan cab.

I won't use the distortion an overdrive to get my sound but only to use it as a boost or

to tighten my sound (like I did with my old ts808).

But I want to use delay, compression, eq, gate, pitch shifter and I'm 90% on the drive channel

and not on clean.
      • January 8, 2012
    • webstersp
      chopshop777 depending what type of music you play, if you play metal like me and use a high gain amp like Engl Invader 100 the best way is to go through the effects loop, but if you play clean, in front of the amp is the best way.

hope this helps.

www.myspace.com/guitarmessiah7
      • January 8, 2012
    • webstersp
      webstersp By going into the effecf loop, what are the effects that you can't use? (beside od, distortion and compression)
      • January 8, 2012
    • webstersp
      Shiner You can use everything but the od and distortion. You can even use the compression, but I guess it is more common to put the compression before the the preamp - and not in the loop.
      • January 8, 2012
  • meemomike
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-08
    I am currently trying to figure out how to hook up the g system to my amp. I have no intentions of using any distortion boxes, my amp has killer drive. But I do run a 31 band eq and a sonic maximizer thru my amps effects loop. My question is, is it possible to use the 4 cable method and still be able to run the eq and maximizer thru the effects loop and have then function and work as they always have? Ive tried every configuration and cat get it. any help is appreciated, thanks
    read more...
    0 2,642
    • meemomike
      Ben_vdd Welcome. I think you need to give a bit more info on what exactly you're trying to achieve...

You put the EQ and the maximizer each in one of the loops of the G-system? Which ones?

What do you mean with "function as they always have"? Etc...

I'm sure somebody here can help you out if you are a bit more specific.
      • January 8, 2012
    • meemomike
      meemomike thank you for responding. heres my situation, I run an eq and maximizer thru the effects loop of my amp, always have. Those 2 components are a must for me to achieve my tone. after purchasing the g system, i first just pluged it into the input of my amp, plain and simple. But i found that when i use my dirty channel, some of the effects totally go crazy and overwhelm the sound. So, I ran it inline with my eq andmaximizer thru the effects loop, sounds much better. Then I learned about the 4 cable method which uses the effects loop of my amp. Seems tho, the way the 4 cable method is run, it doesnt allow me to run the eq and max thru like I always have in the past. Am I wrong? do I use the loops on the g system? Guess what Im saying is, Id like to use the 4 cable method, but need to be able to use my eq and max the way I have in the past thru the effects loop. thanks
      • January 8, 2012
    • meemomike
      Banenis Hi. Forgive me if I say something that's already been covered but I didn't read the whole thread. I jumped right into answering because I also use a 31 band eq and BBE in my amp's fx loop.

I just do normal 4 cable method but instead of:

G sys out -> amp fx return

I go:

G sys out -> eq -> BBE -> amp fx return.

Doing this keeps your eq and BBE last in the chain, just like you've already had them.

Definitely don't use the g sys loops because in 4 cable method that'll put the eq and BBE into the front of your amp, which will sound gross.

Hope this helps.
      • January 8, 2012
    • meemomike
      meemomike Thanks alot , i will give it a try that. on another note, have you noticed when you do run the 4 cable method , it drains the balls from the tone? gets real fuzzy sounding, but as soon as I unplug the g system, the tone is back, this thing is driving me a little nuts, lol
      • January 8, 2012
    • meemomike
      Banenis Some people do have that problem but it's really hit or miss and there are lots of things you can do to try to fix it. For starters, read the Laird Williams White Paper. You can find the download link here in the forum in one of the top sticky posts.

It will guide you step by step through setting up your g system and preserving all the tone you can. You might just need something as simple as a buffer between your guitar and the g sys to get your tone back.
      • January 8, 2012
  • CodyCass1
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-08
    I've been running a Trex MAB and boosting my amps with it for 2 years now. I Love it, but today was the first time I've ever pulled it out of my loop and ran it in front of my amp and WOW what a difference. It isn't as high pitched, has more low end, isn't as muddy, and has more clarity. So I went and bought a JHS Double Barrel from a buddy for a steal of a deal. It sounds even better. Now I went to put it in my loop, and it sounds exactly like the Trex did in the loop. But when I put it on the board it's 110xs better.

Is there anything I can do to get it close to the way it sounds like on the board. I've tried messing with Loop headroom, and the loop level but it still isn't doing any justice. Im wanting to keep it on at all times when I use my Main gain channel, and I don't want to tap dance. Any suggestions? I would buy a midi looper to put on my board to turn it on so it's not in the loop and so I don't have to tapdance, but I don't think it will work since the G can't control the Whammy through midi. But I could be wrong.
    read more...
    0 37,474
    • CodyCass1
      Ben_vdd Hi Cody, long time no see

I don't have an answer to your question but I would like to pitch in on your first comment.

There are numerous posts on this forum claiming that you absolutely have to have overdrive/distortion pedals in front of the amp and not in a loop and I follow the associated reasoning. However, I have the Nova Drive and I can tell you that it works fine in a loop and sounds like utter cardboard cr*p in front of the amp.

Am I missing something huge or is the "in front vs loop" discussion highly dependent on the specific gear in the setup?
      • January 8, 2012
    • CodyCass1
      Laird_Williams

Ben_vdd wrote:

Hi Cody, long time no see

I don't have an answer to your question but I would like to pitch in on your first comment.

There are numerous posts on this forum claiming that you absolutely have to have overdrive/distortion pedals in front of the amp and not in a loop and I follow the associated reasoning. However, I have the Nova Drive and I can tell you that it works fine in a loop and sounds like utter cardboard cr*p in front of the amp.

Am I missing something huge or is the "in front vs loop" discussion highly dependent on the specific gear in the setup?

Most of the informed posts on OD/DIST pedals and the G-System loops are along these lines:

IF the pedal's signature tone/sound depends on the impedance interaction between the guitar pickups and the pedal, THEN you need to put the pedal before the G-System. This is because the G-System loops are buffered, and eliminate the ability for the guitar electronics and the pedal to interact directly. This turns out to be a problem with many (perhaps even most) OD/DIST pedals and even some other types of pedals.

The Nova Drive was designed from the outset to work well with a buffered signal. It does NOT rely on the complex interaction between pickups and pedal to get its tone. As a consequence, it works and sounds great in a G-System loop. Any other pedal that sounds good when receiving a buffered signal will sound good in the G-System loops as well.
      • January 8, 2012
    • CodyCass1
      CodyCass1 I've been traveling a lot and I haven't been on the site to much lately. I've kept my rig where it's at for awhile so I haven't had any big pull to come back to the site. But im wanting to start working with more overdrive pedals as I have about 4 sitting here that im going to tinker with to shape my amp up more. Which I've read discussions about but never really took the time to try them bc I was happy with what I had, until I tried something new. Now I am in their shoes again which is good because it gains me experience and knowledge with this stuff.
      • January 8, 2012
    • CodyCass1
      CodyCass1 Im starting to notice this. Ive got a few pedals here and they sound AMAZING till they touch my loop. Then they all sound like chainsaws. Even using my eq isn't helping. Making the tone better just muddying it up and I'd prefer to not tap dance so some kind of midi loop to put infront of the G would be nice. I don't want to go through the hassle of selling the G but this is making me lean towards it.
      • January 8, 2012
    • CodyCass1
      Banenis A midi loop thing for pedals will usually not suffer from the same midi limitations as the whammy does. With the whammy you can select whammy settings but you can't sweep the pedal with g sys midi. But most midi pedal loops respond to pc messages so using the g sys should be no problem.
      • January 8, 2012
  • Medik98
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-07
    Hey fellow NOVA lovers!!!! Im new to nova system and love it, better than the Boss and Line 6 I had. Anyhow here's my questions, I have searched and found a few topics close but not really geting the answer Im looking for. All my other ME's Ive always ran direct into my DI box which go direct to mixer/PA system at church. I did this last week with my nova for the first time and went through the mono L out. Seemed to work fine but I just wanna make sure there's nothing better to try or use the XLR's for this or not. Im not having any problems and it seemed to work great. I turned on the amp sim and away we went. I think nova has awesome OD and great dist up to a mild/moderate range. Not really a ME for heavy heavy dist but we never play anything more than Hillsong or Chris tomlin stuff and its works great, especially the outstanding delays which is the number 1 staple of worship music (thanks Edge anyhow is there anything that would make it go from great to amazing as far as my hookup? Thanks guys.
    read more...
    0 16,076
    • Medik98
      squashman I do the same thing as you, running straight into a Radial JDI to the PA. I like the tone better using the DI, but it's really not much different than running straight to the PA without the DI. I can hear the difference, but I doubt anyone else notices. I've gotten lots of compliments on the guitar sound from other guitarists, and they can't believe I'm running direct.
      • January 7, 2012
    • Medik98
      Medik98 Ok thanks bro!
      • January 16, 2012
    • Medik98
      xomox Anyone tryed to use Huges kettner Red Box with nova system and then to PA??
      • January 22, 2012
    • Medik98
      martinwcarlsson As soons as I get my nova system I'm going to try it with the Carl Martin Rock Bug. I'll try and remember to post when I do.
      • January 22, 2012
    • Medik98
      yes2matt OH wait. I thought that the outputs were balanced TRS ?!?!? so I just run TRS-XLR cables straight from the NS to the mixer .. am I messed up?
      • January 23, 2012
  • 2SloMoe
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-07
    So, I have been using my x2 wireless with my G-system and it really worked well for the input buffer solution. I then wanted to try the Sunday Driver to see if I could improve the tone with my setup and use it to lower the input volume down to 0 and use the Lehle to boost the signal. What I found is that it really works well for this as others have found, but it didnt really sound any better in my case over the X2 wireless. I know some had been wondering about this and I wanted to share my results.. So if anyone needs a brand new Lehle Sunday driver used for about 1 hour - let me know. lol
    read more...
    0 3,984
    • 2SloMoe
      Tritjay

2SloMoe wrote:

So, I have been using my x2 wireless with my G-system and it really worked well for the input buffer solution. I then wanted to try the Sunday Driver to see if I could improve the tone with my setup and use it to lower the input volume down to 0 and use the Lehle to boost the signal. What I found is that it really works well for this as others have found, but it didnt really sound any better in my case over the X2 wireless. I know some had been wondering about this and I wanted to share my results.. So if anyone needs a brand new Lehle Sunday driver used for about 1 hour - let me know. lol

Can someone please explain what a buffer is and the advantages of having it?

I have no idea!

Thanks
      • January 7, 2012
    • 2SloMoe
      Banenis Just search the forum and read laird's white paper. We have disussed this issue at length for ages.
      • January 7, 2012
    • 2SloMoe
      bucketbot "What's a buffer...? What does a buffer do...?"

A buffer is a basic preamp circuit that doesn’t add any gain to the signal, but instead coverts it from high to low impedance and gives it the strength necessary to make the rest of the journey through long cable runs and complex circuitry without loss of tone or level. A properly designed buffer won't change the tone of your signal.

"Why do I need a buffer?"

Let's say you have a pedalboard with 10 or more different pedals on it...a 20ft cable from guitar to pedals, and another 20ft cable from pedals to amp. Any guitar cord of 20 feet or more imposes a load on your signal that depletes the high end in particular, but is generally heard to be dulling down the overall tone slightly. If we run that signal through 20 or more input and output jacks, 20 switch terminals and the contacts between them, and several inches of wiring within each unit to make the true bypass connections, we'll get a lot of tone sucking. If you own even a handful of true bypass pedals yourself, try it out: connect together as many as you can find (switched off), use a long guitar cord on either side, and check your tone. Now unplug at the amp, plug straight in with just one cord, and listen again. Hear the difference?

Put a buffer stage toward the front of that loaded pedalboard, however, and at the end of the chain, and the buffer makes the rest of the wiring and cable length after it “invisible” to your signal. The buffer will preserve clarity and definition that improves your final overall sound. Most touring guitarists will have a ton of gear they are playing through (most of the pedals being true bypass) but you’ll find they either have a buffer or preamp to drive those long cable lengths, or they run through a custom-made switching system that has its own buffering, and which takes the pedals out of the loop when they’re not on.

Hope that helps! Taken from the Wampler pedals site.
      • January 7, 2012
    • 2SloMoe
      Tritjay

bucketbot wrote:

"What's a buffer...? What does a buffer do...?"

A buffer is a basic preamp circuit that doesn’t add any gain to the signal, but instead coverts it from high to low impedance and gives it the strength necessary to make the rest of the journey through long cable runs and complex circuitry without loss of tone or level. A properly designed buffer won't change the tone of your signal.

"Why do I need a buffer?"

Let's say you have a pedalboard with 10 or more different pedals on it...a 20ft cable from guitar to pedals, and another 20ft cable from pedals to amp. Any guitar cord of 20 feet or more imposes a load on your signal that depletes the high end in particular, but is generally heard to be dulling down the overall tone slightly. If we run that signal through 20 or more input and output jacks, 20 switch terminals and the contacts between them, and several inches of wiring within each unit to make the true bypass connections, we'll get a lot of tone sucking. If you own even a handful of true bypass pedals yourself, try it out: connect together as many as you can find (switched off), use a long guitar cord on either side, and check your tone. Now unplug at the amp, plug straight in with just one cord, and listen again. Hear the difference?

Put a buffer stage toward the front of that loaded pedalboard, however, and at the end of the chain, and the buffer makes the rest of the wiring and cable length after it “invisible” to your signal. The buffer will preserve clarity and definition that improves your final overall sound. Most touring guitarists will have a ton of gear they are playing through (most of the pedals being true bypass) but you’ll find they either have a buffer or preamp to drive those long cable lengths, or they run through a custom-made switching system that has its own buffering, and which takes the pedals out of the loop when they’re not on.

Hope that helps! Taken from the Wampler pedals site.

Cheers, thanks for clearing that up! that makes sense now. Can anyone recommend me a good buffer or what other products are used for a buffer?

Thanks, Tristan
      • January 14, 2012
  • rutanplbg
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-07
    Can any one give me some watery chorus type settings for my NS.
    Thx
    0 3,313
    • rutanplbg
      re try the detune on the pitch... many use it instead of the chorus.
      • January 7, 2012
    • rutanplbg
      skull_stjohn Does anyone have the settings for an Andy Summers, basic Police chimey chorus?
      • March 5, 2012
    • rutanplbg
      lifele55 Detune setting with delay time about 12ms and 0% feedback. Adjust pitch to taste and enjoy...
      • March 6, 2012
Go to page