Solutions

253,624 members
131,198 posts
  • rsm
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-06-03
    I have an incoming G-System where I plan to use my Nova Drive with the y-split MIDI cable, but I also have a MIDI controlled pre-amp. Is anyone using two or more MIDI devices? Are you using some kind of MIDI connector box?

Ideally, I'd like to control the Nova Drive and preamp presets from the G-System using MIDI, is this possible?
    read more...
    0 14,199
    • rsm
      LegGodt I had a similar problem with my Digitech Whammy IV. I wanted to keep it on my board with my MIDI Controller, but the Whammy only has a MIDI In, so the MIDI Signal stops there.

I did some research and bought a MIDI Thru box. It takes a single MIDI signal and splits it to 2 MIDI signals.

My MIDI Path:

All Access --> MIDI Thru -->[out 1] Whammy

-->[out 2] Ultra Hush --> G-Force --> Patchmate --> ENGL Invader

This same setup should work for you.

Your MIDI Path:

G-System --> MIDI Thru -->[out 1] Nova Drive

-->[out 2] MIDI Preamp

Good Luck!
      • June 3, 2010
    • rsm
      rsm Thanks LegGodt! This is what I will need to do as well. So, I guess I'll lose whatever benefit there is to the y-split MIDI cable for the Nova Drive...I suppose I should have thought of this prior to ordering the y-split...but it's good to have for future board changes.
      • June 3, 2010
    • rsm
      LegGodt You should still be able to use the MIDI Y-Cable. Here is how to hook it up.

Your MIDI Path:

GS MIDI IN {Y cable MIDI IN} -> Nova Drive

GS MIDI OUT {Short MIDI Cable} -> MIDI Thru -> [out 1]{Y cable MIDI OUT} -> Nova Drive

-> [out 2] MIDI Preamp

This way the MIDI IN signal goes right to the G-System without going thru the MIDI Thru box and the MIDI Out signal (which is the signal that needs to go to the Preamp) goes thru the MIDI Thru box.

This should work. I never had a Nova Drive when I had my G-System.
      • June 3, 2010
    • rsm
      rsm Sweet! Thanks again!

Just read that that G-Sytem does not provide MIDI Power out for this active device? Has that changed, i.e., does the MIDI out of the G-System provide power?

see: http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm#Power
      • June 3, 2010
    • rsm
      jimbasara Does you preamp have a MIDI Thru? If it does, you don't need an extra box. See Laird's configuration guide.
      • June 3, 2010
  • emanresu
    Contributor - Level 1
    2010-05-29
    Thats it - where there should be "on" or "off" it says "-n/a-".

?

so what the heck does it mean? i mean i know what "n/a" means but hm.. i want to turn my eq on or off but cannot.

help!

e.
    0 4,385
    • emanresu
      emanresu oh. the speakersim was on. ok now.
      • May 29, 2010
    • emanresu
      jotacaster Just turn the first knob under the display right below the "n/a". It will turn On the EQ.
      • May 29, 2010
    • emanresu
      DANALONIEL Nothin' happens.......... it's not available, and it was..... or so do I remember.

Thanks

I see that its an old post, but can anybody help with it?
      • May 28, 2014
    • emanresu
      DANALONIEL I found this and it works.....

thanks

When you activate the Nova Systems Speaker Cabinet Simulator it deactivates the EQ. This happens because the EQ is used for the Speaker Cabinet Simulation.

To turn off Speaker Cabinet Simulation, press Menu, scroll to Utilities, press Menu to enter the Utilities menu, scroll to SpeakerSim, turn off. Now you will have access to your EQ.

http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries/32503918-Nova-System-The-EQ-is-not-working
      • May 28, 2014
  • GTECHBLUES
    Contributor - Level 1
    2010-05-28
    Sorry guys, but even if I love my Polytune tuner, the excuse given in the FAQ is not good enough to convince me.

The first thing I did when I noticed the difference for the E string between tuning in the single string mode compared to the 6 strings mode was to check the FAQ and the forum. And after reading the FAQ, I checked if I was touching the tuning key when I was checking the E string, and NO... I never let my hand on the tuning keys when I tune my guitar.

So the excuse is not good. There is really a problem with the E string tuning.

Am I getting this wrong?

And am I the only one still having this problem?

Thanks,

Gilles
    read more...
    0 16,416
    • GTECHBLUES
      rune Thats just 1 element of it. If you ask me, the main reason why you see a difference is because the poly mode is not as sensitive to the initial pick as the chromatic. This means that the string needs a little time to settle in chromatic mode (like with most tuners), but doesn't need any time to settle in the poly mode. This is especially obvious with the E string. You also tend to pick each string harder in chromatic mode. This means the string needs to settle even more.

We have of course checked all this (including with audio files sent from users reporting the issue).
      • June 2, 2010
    • GTECHBLUES
      jotacaster I have the low E string almost always flat in poly mode.

I know one more person with the same issue on his polytune!
      • June 4, 2010
    • GTECHBLUES
      jimbasara I was seeing the same thing as jotacaster and noticed that if I used my thumb instead of a pick, things worked a lot better. Rune's comment explains why, although I'm not really sure I understand it. By the time the tuner determines whether more than one string has been struck, isn't it too late to adjust the sensitivity of the initial strike on the low E string? That time has already passed.
      • June 4, 2010
    • GTECHBLUES
      jotacaster I tried pick my strings from the bottom to the top and I get the same result...
      • June 4, 2010
    • GTECHBLUES
      jimbasara That's what I would expect.

Do you get the same results if you use a soft touch (thumb) instead of a pick?
      • June 4, 2010
  • rsm
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-05-18
    Anyone else going direct? I sold my last bass amp last year, and I run direct to FOH or into my Bose L1 System. (using a preamp with DI or a DI box, brands/models not relevant). I don't need or want the power amp, but I want an RH450's preamp. I really dig the portability compared to back in the day (6U rack + 4x10 + 1x18 folded horn, anyone?!)

Any chance of a preamp-only version of the RH450? Non-rackmount please.

Any issues running the RH450 head without cabs and using the DI out? (other than electric consumption, extra weight, larger size, etc.)
    read more...
    0 5,219
    • rsm
      lowendjoe You basically have a high end direct box with the RH...no need to run cabinets/load like other heads of this type. I'm hoping for a poweramp only version...same footprint to sit nicely under my 450 and give me some additional kick for the stage...
      • May 19, 2010
    • rsm
      rsm lowendjoe, I hear ya! I'd like to save the added weight and cost of the power section. I'd bet most want the integrated preamp/poweramp head, but there is a market for separate preamps and poweramps, I think? IMO.

...the cab options are versatile, now TCE, how about making the heads more versatile with separate options.
      • May 19, 2010
    • rsm
      lowendjoe RSM...I would have to agree...given the weight and dims on these heads, I'll bet that seperate configurations would lend to even smaller, lighter packages...did you happen to read my post? I think I have a wire harness or something wiggling around inside...can I be the only guy this has happend to? ...I dont think it's anything serious but it is a bit consorting...
      • May 20, 2010
    • rsm
      rsm No, I didn't see your other post, bummer about the loose wire, I'd get it returned or fixed under warranty IMO.

Not spending much time here, I'd dig having the RH450 preamp, but I don't need a head...I will use what I have now or play more guitar instead, while I wait and see what TCE does
      • May 21, 2010
  • dieselmx
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-05-17
    Hey guys,

Wanted to clarify something on the DETUNE ... I;m not sure if i understand this or use in its most effective way ...

You would be able to DETUNE just one string?

I play mostly in standard E and sometimes drop D the E string to D and play in Drop D but the rest of the guitar is in E.

Would DETUNE do this for me and I would not have to physically detune my guitar to D? or is this something different where it detunes the whole guitar?

or am i completely wrong and it adds an octave to the notes you already play?

If this will do what i want it to .. anyone know how to set this up? this was a new thing i was reading about and was wondering if i have been wasting so much time tuning when i didnt need to.
    read more...
    0 3,961
    • dieselmx
      elfredoo there will be no proper multiple pitch shifting with the g. so playing E and heraing D will not be proper done by the g. a pedal called "morpheus droptune" does this job...though not pretty well either.

the g will also NOT do dropped D for you. this will only be possible with a midi-pickup and simulated guitar sounds or by detuning the guitar. the fender vg strat for example has a built in midi-pickup and a pretty good emulation of guitarsounds. it makes drop d happen.

what the detuner does:

detune all played notes, relate it to the original tune --> chorus effect

what the pitch shifter does:

shift pitch of single notes or add octaves or intervals to a single note.
      • May 17, 2010
    • dieselmx
      dieselmx thanks for the clarification .. I thought so. It sounded too good to be true. The Digitech whammy .. will this do that? is that was dive bomb is called?
      • May 18, 2010
    • dieselmx
      Dasy12 Hello! At me too such problem. I'm just starting to play
      • October 10, 2017
    • dieselmx
      Bmoney

dieselmx wrote:

thanks for the clarification .. I thought so. It sounded too good to be true. The Digitech whammy .. will this do that? is that was dive bomb is called?

No. There isn't anything other than a complicated midi setup that can alter the pitch of just one string. There are some polyphonic pitch-shifting pedals on the market that can change the pitch of the whole guitar up or down, but not isolate just one string.
      • November 5, 2017
  • DemolitionColor
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-05-15
    So, I finally got in the MIDI Y-Cable to hook up the Nova Drive to the G-System but it's been adding a strange beeping noise to my setup. Here's the sample:
    - http://www.mediafire.com/?t2njj2iwgmq

I amplified the noise by putting a Suhr Riot after it to exaggerate the noise. You can hear the bleeps, but when I turn down the guitar volume, it's gone. Dialing the rotators, by the way, generates the beeping noise as well, though I'm not sure if this is normal. Having the beeping constantly, is really a no-go.

My setup for this:
    Gibson SG-X -> Suhr Riot -> Nova Drive -> Input of the G-System (4CM) -> Koch Powertone -> Koch TS212 closed back cab

Has anyone had problems like this as well?
    read more...
    0 68,000
    • DemolitionColor
      emgafare +1 , i was thinking the problem was my handmade Midi Y cable ...
      • May 15, 2010
    • DemolitionColor
      DemolitionColor Well, I ordered mine from a store which ordered them directly from t.c. electronic.
      • May 15, 2010
    • DemolitionColor
      victim5150 There was a problem awhile back with the beeping issue. Take a look here:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=4595
      • May 16, 2010
    • DemolitionColor
      DemolitionColor Hm, it doesn't seem to really give a really solid solution?
      • May 16, 2010
    • DemolitionColor
      victim5150 I think it has something to do with the ground connected to the shielding. I'm not an electronics guru either. Hopefully someone will chime in on this for ya. Good luck.
      • May 16, 2010
  • Oxman420
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-05-13
    Hello -

I have the G-system, as well as an Engle e570 Preamp (Midi), the Nova Drive, and an Eventide Pitchfactor. I've tried a billion different combinations of MIDI routing and I am only able to control 2 at a time... Right now I have it set up to where I can control the NDR-1 and my preamp, but can't control the EP... Any ideas...? I'm sure this is an easy one for Laird...

Thanks,

OX
    read more...
    0 11,819
    • Oxman420
      Laird_Williams

Oxman420 wrote:

Hello -

I have the G-system, as well as an Engle e570 Preamp (Midi), the Nova Drive, and an Eventide Pitchfactor. I've tried a billion different combinations of MIDI routing and I am only able to control 2 at a time... Right now I have it set up to where I can control the NDR-1 and my preamp, but can't control the EP... Any ideas...? I'm sure this is an easy one for Laird...

Thanks,

OX

Not easy - but doable.

First thing.

Cabling: I recommend the following MIDI cabling:

G-System MIDI Out --> e570 MIDI In

E570 MIDI Thru --> PitchFactor MIDI In

PitchFactor MIDI Out (Thru mode) --> Nova Drive MIDI IN(*)

Nove Drive MIDI Out (+) --> G-System MIDI In

Be sure to plug the 3rd end of the Y-Cable into the Nova Drive.

* - this will be the end of the Nova Drive Y-Cable labeled either "MIDI In" or "To MIDI Out"

+ - this will be the end of the Nova Drive Y-Calbe labeled either "MIDI Out" or "To MIDI In"

Channels:

1) Set the Nova Drive to MIDI Channel 2

2) Set the G-System, E570, and PitchFactor all to MIDI Channel 1

Other Config:

1) Be sure to set the MIDI OUT mode on the PitchFactor to "Thru", so the MIDI out port will function as a MIDI Thru port - which is what you need.

2) G-System MIDI config:

Program Change In: OFF

Program Change Out: On Map (*)

MIDI Channel: 1

- then I would RESET the MIDI map and leave it alone. (+)

* - this will keep the G-System from sending MSB messages that your other gear can't use anyway.

+ - this will make user preset 00-1 send MIDI PC=1, user preset 00-2 send MIDI PC=2, etc.

Pretty simple ;-ppp

You can use a channel other than 1 for the other devices - just make sure that this is NOT the same channel as the Nova Drive.

If the PitchFactor has an inbound MIDI map (like my ModFactor does), then you should read up on, and take advantage of that.

See this thread for some discussion of MIDI in my rig - which is VERY similar to yours:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=6575
      • May 13, 2010
    • Oxman420
      Oxman420 Laird -

You are the F-ING MAN! I had to reset the EP because I had done some messing around with it, but I basically started from scratch and now it works great!!! Thanks so much for the quick and spot on response! I'd buy you a beer if I could...

I was sort of put out at first because of the way the loops are layed out in the G-system. With 1-4 coming before the Insert putting the EP before the preamp made it sound like crap whenever the EP was engaged. So now I put the preamp in loop one and the EP after and it sounds great... but now I have to make sure the insert loop is disengaged on every preset or I get no sound (which is weird).

The perfect set up was putting the EP in the preamp's FX loop, but I don't think you can control the FX loop on/off with a CC (no codes in the manual - I sent Engle an e-mail to find out about it, so we'll see...)

So anyway - THANK YOU!!! I'm going to check out your rack set up and see if I can get any good insights from it...

Regards,

Ox
      • May 13, 2010
    • Oxman420
      PaulL Laird/Bucketbot/other helpful persons,

I have a Carvin Legacy 3 and have the pedalboard mounted G connected thru a MIDI cable as follows: G MIDI out to an Eventide Pitchfactor in, then from Pitchfactor out/thru to the Legacy 3 MIDI in. I've followed the white paper directions for resetting the boost switch (paragraph 3.2.3.4) to activate the Legacy 3 boost. I've set the Legacy per Carvin's instructions to choose MIDI receive channel 1. The switch is programmed MIDI CC/Toggle/84 (84 being the parameter identified by Carvin for the boost). I've gone into the Pitchfactor and set the MIDI receive and transmit channels to 1, and the output to thru. The G system MIDI is set as follows: MIDI channel = 1; MIDI program change in = off; MIDI program change out = on map. I then hit program map reset -> Enter.

I also tried to set the amp channels per Laird's BBS instructions.

I don't get any reaction at all when hitting the reprogrammed boost switch or changing patches (for boost or channel change respectively). During channel setup, the Legacy reverb light should stop flashing when it receives a channel signal, but the light never stops flashing.

At this juncture, it seems that my problem is that the MIDI signal is not getting to the Legacy. I'm at wits end trying to figure out what could be preventing the signal given what I've done above. I've seen from other posts that people haven't had difficulty getting the reprogrammed boost switch to work, but I can't seem to get there. Help!

Cheers,

Paul
      • January 5, 2017
    • Oxman420
      elvis Have you tried running the GS MIDI out directly to the amp? The Pitchfactor may not be sending the signal correctly. It would help to know where the problem actually is.
      • January 5, 2017
    • Oxman420
      PaulL Elvis,

Thanks for the quick response. Quick answer: no. I had a custom pedalboard built which has everything wired up, MIDI as described. As a spare, I only have the short MIDI cable that came with the G. I'll move everything a little closer and see if a direct connection will send the signal and will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Paul
      • January 5, 2017
  • lowendjoe
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-05-10
    Got my RH450 last week...what a marvel...played an OUTDOOR gig on Saturday in Florida...amp never showed any sign of heat and performed flawlessly...now if I can only figure out what that little rattle is coming from the inside? Any ideas?
    0 4,982
    • lowendjoe
      JayGarrett Yeah - it's such a great amp. Plenty of punch and power without breaking your back.

Enjoy it man :0)

Not sure where the rattle would be coming from though :0.

J
      • May 27, 2010
    • lowendjoe
      Revolver323 Inside of the cabinet or the amp head? Only when you're playing, or if you pick up the head & shake it?
      • July 16, 2010
    • lowendjoe
      lowendjoe Its a small noise near the face of the head, ONLY if I shake it ...doesn't seem to be an issue regarding performance...got an RS212 a couple weeks ago and this really is a killer rig...the B string (Bongo) is clear and punchy...my Refrigerator is retired ...
      • July 16, 2010
    • lowendjoe
      Revolver323 Loose solder or washer? That's be my guess. Doctor's advice: Do not shake the head.
      • July 19, 2010
    • lowendjoe
      BASSically I would take it back to where you bought it and have their tech open it up and check it out.

If is is metal it only has to short something once to be big trouble.

Play it safe . Get it checked out and let us know what you found. Could be a heads up for the rest of us out here.

BASSically
      • July 25, 2010
  • stfguitar
    Contributor - Level 1
    2010-05-05
    Is anyone else having a problem with their G Major sucking the tone from their amp?
    I'm running into a diamond spec op head then using the effects loop for the g major and as soon as i plug in to the loop my tone disappears and gets all digital sounding. any help would be appreciated! Thanks for your time!!
    read more...
    0 26,177
    • stfguitar
      Laird_Williams

stfguitar wrote:

Is anyone else having a problem with their G Major sucking the tone from their amp?

I'm running into a diamond spec op head then using the effects loop for the g major and as soon as i plug in to the loop my tone disappears and gets all digital sounding. any help would be appreciated! Thanks for your time!!

It has nothing to do with digital.

What is the output impedance of the send on your amp?
      • May 5, 2010
    • stfguitar
      alcottawa hey,

I had the same problem with my g major,, if your effects loop is a parallel loop you get a slight bit of a delay from the g major that is out of phase with your un-processed signal. if your amp has the option, use a serial loop (the whole signal is processed).

The parallel loops are a better solution for analog gear that does degrade your sound a bit, but aren't very good for digital effects where there is a slight (not noticable to your ear until you mix it out of phase) delay.

another possible solution would be to put your mix signal all the way up to 100%, although this didn't work with my amp.
      • June 22, 2010
    • stfguitar
      crguti G major must be connected in serie FX loop.
      • June 23, 2010
    • stfguitar
      mrr3000gt I just got a G Major for my Laney VH100R. I got the Laney dialed in, and when used in INSERT mode, the G Major will suck the good sound out and turn my amp into a lifeless transistor-sounding amp. Totally unacceptable!

It is as if the input and output levels have no unity gain (neutral setting) and the sparkle in the amp is filtered out by the G Major. If I had some piece of crap sounding amp or a garage band deluxe, I would not care, but this amp has a great tone and sound and going through the gmajor turns it into a Crate amp.

I have tried the G Major in the BYPASS and external FX loops and it sounds good, except in these modes, the VH100 processes the G Major in parallel to the amp and I can dial in the FX on each channel (like a PA). The problem is that no matter what effects I use, they all sound the same and things like octaver are not pronounced at all.

Has anyone else got their VH100 to work optimally with the G Major? I need the punch, bass, and bite I get with the amp and no amount of EQing seems to fix it.
      • June 30, 2010
    • stfguitar
      mrr3000gt I know this thing is supere versitile and I cant believe it it a tone murderer. I had a 30 dollar DOD Effect unit that was fantastic, simple, and cheap and it did nothing to the sound. The G Major certainly has some set of setttings I need to use - I am just not aware of it.

I am also using the G Major software and a MIDI controller to develop patches and make settings. Are there settings that the software cant get to I need to adjust?
      • June 30, 2010
  • ShadowX
    Contributor - Level 2
    2010-05-05
    Hey sorry if this has been discussed before but after countless searches I am exhausted. I recently purchased a used G-Force with a g card but noticed that thr g card has different graphics than the ones on google images. I noticed that the version of my G-Force is 2.02

Can I simply just order a new g card to update my unit to the latest software? or do I have to purchase a PCMIA card from tc electronics first and then load that in?

It would be great if the latest g card has the latest version included in it. Also what is the latest version anyhow? I've gotten different answers from different forums I figured this forum would know. Thanks in advance.
    read more...
    0 18,381
    • ShadowX
      ShadowX Well I searched around and it looks as if the update is available with the latest G Card there is just some certain way to load it in to get the latest update into the g-Force. Either way I can send the card back if it does not work this way.....I should have one in a couple of days. Honestly this unit sounds awesome as is but still would like to have the latest software.
      • May 5, 2010
    • ShadowX
      ShadowX Okay the g card does not update the G force to the latest 2.04 version but still I am enjoying having the card. Just ordered a 512 KB PCMCIA card from TC that has the latest software update on it.
      • May 6, 2010
    • ShadowX
      roliver ShadowX, can you do me a favor. On pg 17 it tells you how to copy an effect from one preset to another. Obviously a very important feature. Mine doesn't seem to work. Let me know if yours does. maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanx

Rich 978 828 3666
      • May 11, 2010
    • ShadowX
      ShadowX Hey Rich just emailed ya. I pretty much followed the Manuel and it worked however I never had to "recall" anything. I simply just selected preset 23 by hitting enter like you would normally do....used the parameter wheel to scroll over to the left...then the value wheel to select "Fil". From there just use the parameter wheel again to move it back to the preset selecter. Then simply scroll down to preset 12 and hit enter. It loaded right up for me which added an extra effect.

Hope this helps but check out my email I added some other stuff such as problems I encountered trying other things.....without a Manuel I'm only guessing why certain things don't work together.....but that's why I just decided to shell out $18 and bought a Manuel....should have it in a week.
      • May 14, 2010
    • ShadowX
      S_O_S_ Hi Shadow

I bought G-Force few weeks ago and I'd like to update it. Can you tell me where did you buy your card with latest software, and how much did you pay.

Thanks S.O.S.
      • May 17, 2010
Go to page