Solutions

294,135 members
177,205 posts
  • Surfi
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-29
    Hi,

I still tinker around with my setup and tried to put 4 distortion / overdrive pedals in my 4 fx loops of the G system.

All ok with the first 3, but with the 4th one (haven´t assigned a switch for it yet) I notice a real big decline in volume / level. Have to turn up the level on the pedal massively and then loosing a lot of sound...

Any ideas? Help is highly appreciated, regards from rainy germany

Chris
    read more...
    0 2,940
    • Surfi
      bucketbot Try the same pedal in Loop 3, 1 or 2 & see if the result is the same?

All 4 loops should be the same by my understanding.
      • December 28, 2011
    • Surfi
      Surfi Hi Bucketbot,

yes, tried changing the pedals in the loop. definitely seems to be the level of the 4th loop...sound is good with level of pedal at 9 o clock in loop 1-3

Any idea?

Regards

Chris
      • December 29, 2011
    • Surfi
      bucketbot

Surfi wrote:

Hi Bucketbot,

yes, tried changing the pedals in the loop. definitely seems to be the level of the 4th loop...sound is good with level of pedal at 9 o clock in loop 1-3

Any idea?

Regards

Chris

As far as I know Loops 1-4 should be the same so maybe you have an issue with Loop 4? :/
      • December 29, 2011
    • Surfi
      Surfi Yes....but how to solve that issue?
      • December 29, 2011
    • Surfi
      bucketbot

Surfi wrote:

Yes....but how to solve that issue?

Perhaps Laird or someone may chip in but if not then Contact TC support.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/support.asp

How old is your G? Is it still under warranty?
      • December 29, 2011
  • spitroundss
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-12-28
    I have a tc impact twin with a midi cable connected to the nova.What are the settings that the nova needs to be set to to in order to do the update.On the pc it detects the tc near and accepts to do the update,but nothing happens on the nova?
    thanks
    read more...
    0 4,248
    • spitroundss
      spitroundss I found out that the Tc Impact Twin midi input/output do not work until firmware update is done to 1.11 build 2604 for that they prmoted me to my documents in my computer firmware isnt there.

Firmware comes along with the software Tc Near Control Panel in my case was installed.

C:/ => Programfiles (x86)=>Tc Electronic=>Tc Near=>Firmware=>ImpactTwin.tca

There seems to be a work around to get the midi connection to work without the firmware update but doing the update worked.

heres a link to the workaround

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/10712/impact-twin-midi-io-problems/
      • December 28, 2011
    • spitroundss
      alrick1800 I have been trying to carry out this update with no sucsess, i have a usb to midi lead that is flashing when the update bar goes up to 100% I re boot and nothing?? dont get it, very frustrated. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

I also want to download the limited presets but had no luck there either, afraid I'm not a rocket scientist I just make a noise with a lump of wood, some wire and magnets
      • January 6, 2012
    • spitroundss
      xomox I had the same problem.

At first i did update and turn nova off as it says on internet. When i turned it back on it was still on 1.13

Then i conected it again and tryed again and wait till 100 and i gues si didnt wait enough and when i turn it off next time i turned it on it was ALL BLANK. NO PRESETS, NO FIRMWARE NO LIGHTS NO NOTHING!!

I was so scared i tought my nova just died.

Then i connected it again and started downloading 1.2 firmware again.

And there is the important part:

I think that when Nova reaches 100 percent download you need to wait around 5 seconds and then turn it off.

Everytime i have waited longer it says 1.13 again.

And if i turn off imediatlly it was all DELETED.

After i put 1.2 last time, i have waited exacly 5 seconds and then i turned Nova System off.

Turned it on again and it now says 1.2 and all my presets are still saved in.

Hope i helped. note that when it comes to 100 percent, count till 5 and turn it off.
      • January 16, 2012
    • spitroundss
      Dante I waited about a half hour before turning my NS off - it worked fine. Honestly, I just walked out of the room when the update started & forgot about it. When I came back, all was good.

One thing: I can't seem to save my settings or banks via Sysex (sorry, not trying to get off topic, I have a question posted in another thread about this)
      • January 17, 2012
    • spitroundss
      nealpaul amuse me here as i've posted seperately 'asking what does this update correct?' and not a single reply...
      • January 18, 2012
  • marco83m
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-28
    Anyone can download the syx file?

http://www.tcelectronic.com/NovaSystemPresets.asp

the download link seems to be corrupted..
    0 37,084
    • marco83m
      Shiner No. Tried it since yesterday. Not able to download the file on my Mac;
      • December 27, 2011
    • marco83m
      marco83m it works! -> [Right-click on link and choose Save As to download]
      • December 28, 2011
    • marco83m
      marco83m it DOES NOT work, 0byte file size downloaded

marco83m wrote:

it works! -> [Right-click on link and choose Save As to download]
      • December 28, 2011
    • marco83m
      JGNovaJG I'm having the same issue. (Right-clicking on the link to attempt to download takes us to a blank white screen of death with no link viewable. 0 Bytes file results in downloads Finder info). Any other suggestions? I'm using an iMac, and just successfully uploaded my Nova's firmware to the latest midi upgrade - thanks.
      • December 28, 2011
    • marco83m
      dino2009 **edited**

Just tried it again and it worked. I downloaded the zip file. thanks

Its not working for me either. Hopefully someone at TC will see this and check the download.

Thanks
      • December 28, 2011
  • duaffe
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-28
    Hello,

i want to buy a Flaschback delay but befor i got a question.

Maybe you dail the Knob to a very short delay (time?) because you use it for slapback or so. But if you then use the audio tap function for a longer delaytime in an other song you can do this. but if you then turn off the delay by stepping on the footwitch an turn it on again, with tempo you have then ? The "knob tempo" or the "tap tempo" ?
    read more...
    0 5,152
    • duaffe
      steamabacus Hello Duaffe

The Flashback delay will remember the 'tap tempo' setting until you move the delay time knob or audio tap a new tempo. Even if you turn it off, when you switch it on again it will retain the last tapped tempo setting.

Hope this helps.
      • December 27, 2011
    • duaffe
      duaffe Yes thanks that heldps....but its not good.....

Maybe i find another way to work with the pedal or i search for anohter....
      • December 27, 2011
    • duaffe
      AndyTNBD This looks like a fine opportunity to ask people if they actually LIKE the audio-tapping, or if they'd prefer a way to physically tap the tempo in?

I'm considering the Flashback, but the only thing putting me off is the tempo tap functionality ... I often tap my tempo in during the middle of a song, because we have written some songs that speed up and slow down. The audio-tapping really doesn't cover this sort of situation, as it requires a nice steady strum (when means if you're doing any sort of tremolo picking, your tapped value will be way off) and it mutes the output when you're doing it. I just feel that it's going to be a real hassle trying to fit this pedal into a live gigging situation.

I have the Nova Delay, but I don't like the bypass signal, and it's a bit too big for my board these days.
      • January 1, 2012
    • duaffe
      steamabacus I'd say the audio tappings has pros and cons.

The good thing about it is, it's really accurate for getting the delays to 'groove' - e.g. I do a lot of stuff with a 'swung triplet' feel on the delays. It really is very intuitive to get EXACTLY the right delay time. However, it DOESN'T work for delay times of over 2 seconds (due to the buffer size limitations) and so long delays can't be tapped in.

The bad thing is, in a live situation you have to mute the guitar for two seconds and then play in the tempo. Often, this just takes TOO long. A standard external tap tempo footswitch is much better in this situation.

I'd like to see a tap tempo footswitch input AS WELL AS the audio tapping.
      • January 2, 2012
  • jmastanduno
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    I have had this head for awhile and I love it. Plenty loud for most modest venues and outdoors
    you will be through the PA anyway but rig sounds sweet. Im currently running it with a 2x12 celestion cabinet and a JBL JRX115 PA cabinet. Although the JBL has OK extension its voiced differently than I desire, so have an epifani PS 15 on the way. ALL cabinets are 8 Ohms.
    So.
    Why why, can you, accrding to TCE, run three 8 ohm TCE cabinets no problem, but NOT three 8 ohm cabinets of a dissimilar brand?
    Math is math, right?
    I plan to use only 2 cabinets at a time but it would be nice to know i can put a cab behind the drummer or on the other side of the stage without a freakout.
    Anyone tried this?
    read more...
    0 2,377
  • Dante
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    I'm not much of a tap tempo kind of guy, I set my delays by the desired tempo of a song & hit a few notes to get me & the band on the right speed.

That said, is there a way to stop the tap tempo light from blinking all the time? Can I shut that off?

Any information would be greatly appreciated
    read more...
    0 5,151
    • Dante
    • Dante
      Dante Thanks !!

that thing bugs me
      • December 28, 2011
    • Dante
      Dante I had to update to 1.2, but it worked fine once I did...NO MORE BLINKING!! Hooray

Of course, now that button does absolutely nothing at all because I've found the tuner to be crap. Too bad I can't use that button for something else...or can I?
      • January 13, 2012
    • Dante
      Bmoney

Dante wrote:

.... Too bad I can't use that button for something else...or can I?

No, unfortunately you cannot. AFAIK, the switches on the Nova System are hard programed and cannot be reassigned.

What's wrong with the tuner? I use it all the time with no problems.
      • January 15, 2012
    • Dante
      Dante I find the tuner to be very inaccurate. After using the NS tuner, I can hear the guitar being out of tune, which is confirmed by my Boss stompbox tuner. I have read elsewhere about the tuner not being accurate.

I just updated my software to v1.2, but haven't tried the tuner since then. Could it be resolved in that I wonder? I will try it this evening, when I get home.

As far as the extra button...if the tuner continues to fail me, I may wire it up to be a bypass or mute.
      • January 16, 2012
  • Steve-84
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    Hi everyone, hope you are enjoying the festive season!

Issue 1- I recently updated the software in my G System to 4.02 and had a mess around with it today. I switched on the 'KillDry' feature and got latency??

Issue 2- I use a Axess CFX4 to change channels on my amp (Boogie Dual Rec). This has the standard In/Out/Thru. I have got a Nova Drive on order and want to know if there is a way I can still use my CFX4 to change channels and also be able to control the Nova with the G System with a split MIDI Cable (I'm guessing probably not but any help is appreciated).

Issue 3- When my Vol Pedal is on 0, I still hear 'dry' sound coming from the amp. I had my Dual Rec modded to change the FX Loop from Parallel to Series. I am using TS Monster Patch Cables and VPJR pedals. Am I doing something wrong? I really want to be able to do Vol Swells using the pedal and I can't. I use the 4 cable method.

Cheers guys!
    read more...
    0 6,272
    • Steve-84
      Laird_Williams

Steve-84 wrote:

Issue 2- I use a Axess CFX4 to change channels on my amp (Boogie Dual Rec). This has the standard In/Out/Thru. I have got a Nova Drive on order and want to know if there is a way I can still use my CFX4 to change channels and also be able to control the Nova with the G System with a split MIDI Cable (I'm guessing probably not but any help is appreciated).
      you can actually do this. See the chapter on g-system MIDI in my white paper. Be sure to pay extra attention in the section that talks about the Nova Drive.

Issue 3- When my Vol Pedal is on 0, I still hear 'dry' sound coming from the amp. I had my Dual Rec modded to change the FX Loop from Parallel to Series. I am using TS Monster Patch Cables and VPJR pedals. Am I doing something wrong? I really want to be able to do Vol Swells using the pedal and I can't. I use the 4 cable method.
      What happens when you put JUST a muting tuner in the amp FX loop and then mute it?
      • December 27, 2011
    • Steve-84
      Steve-84 Thanks Laird, will give it a try and let you know how I get on. Right, I'm off to read your white paper!
      • December 27, 2011
    • Steve-84
      Steve-84 Ok, I had a play and this is what happened:

I took my TU-2 and plugged it in to the Loop (I tried both the Send And Return Jacks). Played the guitar, hit the pedal, and it muted. I had to turn the Rec to full volume to hear the faintest bit of sound (this was using a clean sound). Next, I rigged up the G as normal, played the guitar on Channel 3 (Hi Gain) with the Mesa's Output and Solo on 0, and heard dry signal.

Read the white paper section on MIDI and the Nova Drive, will let you know how I get on when it turns up!
      • December 27, 2011
    • Steve-84
      Laird_Williams

Steve-84 wrote:

Ok, I had a play and this is what happened:

I took my TU-2 and plugged it in to the Loop (I tried both the Send And Return Jacks). Played the guitar, hit the pedal, and it muted. I had to turn the Rec to full volume to hear the faintest bit of sound (this was using a clean sound). Next, I rigged up the G as normal, played the guitar on Channel 3 (Hi Gain) with the Mesa's Output and Solo on 0, and heard dry signal.

Read the white paper section on MIDI and the Nova Drive, will let you know how I get on when it turns up!

Are you sure that your insert loop is on?
      • December 28, 2011
    • Steve-84
      Steve-84 Yes it's turned on.
      • December 28, 2011
  • looboy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    Can anyone tell a new G system user why some bank patches do not work?
    For example bank 00-1,2,3,4,5 work fine but..
    when i step up to bank 01-1,2,4,5 they don't work??
    But 01-3 does..
    I want to use this via midi to my preamp, so this is annoying Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    read more...
    0 994
    • looboy
      Laird_Williams Have you PUT any patches in those locations?

The G does not put "empty" presets in the preset slots. If you have not explicitly put something in a preset slot, then a preset DOES NOT EXIST at that location - and the G will be unable to select that location. If this idea confounds you (you would not be the first), then think of the difference between an rack with a capacity for 200 buckets. Each bucket can be filled with some liquid. On the G, there are no empty buckets. If a bucket is empty, then it is NOT IN THE RACK. So if something tried to go to an empty rack location to get the bucket...there is not bucket to get.

The G-System will not select a non-existent patch
      • December 27, 2011
    • looboy
      looboy Thanks Laird, that makes total sense.

Can you advise me to the best way to hookup my Marshall Jmp-1 with the G system.

I have tried using the insert loop but am not having any luck...
      • December 27, 2011
  • rpaterson33
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    Me again... So how i have my G system set up is i have on one of the loops a whole seperate pedal board, consisting of..

Dunlop volume, Digitech flanger and delay, boss tremolo, and line 6 M5. When this board is plugged into the loop of my G system, the volume pedal makes a buzzing noise when its anywhere except toe down or heel down position. I took this board and plugged it straight into the G system (no loop) and no buzzing. So i am thinking the loops dont like it, or theres too much ambient electricity with all the power cables running back there? (it is racked with a power conditioner right above it, but it hasnt given any of my other loops any problems)

I did multiple multiple multiple trouble shooting scenarios, from just looping the volume pedal, to removing it from any electrical source, but it still does it only when its in the loop.
    read more...
    0 1,160
  • guillespiers
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    Hi everyone! After having some issues with static noise in my rack, I left behind my DBX Equalizer which solved the static problem, but left me with one free space in my rack case.

Now I have a quiet rig, with a JMP-1 Preamp, and the G´s brains, but I would like another rack to fill the empty space!

I know this could be a silly question, because everyone has different needs or preferences about their own sound, but in your experience, which rack would you definetly recommend?

I´m a rock, metal, guitar player.

Thanks a lot!!
    read more...
    0 3,862
    • guillespiers
      Banenis If you don't have a power conditioner then that would be a good choice. Another super cool option if you're rich would be a Dunlop rack wah. A third cool thing (also expensive) would be a Palmer adig-lb.

Good luck.
      • December 27, 2011
    • guillespiers
      guillespiers Thanks a lot Banesis! You are right about the power conditioner... I definetly need one cause my house and almost every place where I play, isn´t grounded, so electricity peaks are my worst enemies!

G-System has almost every effect I need. I do have a Crybaby 535q wah pedal which sounds great, but i´m using the G´s wah cause I love the auto on & off function.

Never hear of that Palmer thing! I´m now watching a video of it in youtube. Thanks a lot!
      • December 27, 2011
    • guillespiers
      krubel54 Go with the power conditioner. I'm probably buying one myself tomorrow. If you rack you gotta have one...
      • December 27, 2011
    • guillespiers
      Banenis Yeah if you're racking your brain you need to have a power conditioner or a voltage regulator in your rack. The other stuff is all cool to have but without a power conditioner you're playing a dangerous game with expensive gear.
      • December 27, 2011
    • guillespiers
      krubel54 My friend just LITERALLY gave me a rack! Actually just to borrow along with the Korg Tuner. Anyways we traded me a Furman RP-8L Power Conditioner for my Source Audio Multiwave Distortion, because I want to upgrade to the PRO version.

The PRO has MIDI and can send parameters and distortion types. Otherwise I'd still have that ONE pedal I gotta tweek. I'm just diving into this new rig quite nicely.

The Furman seems to noticeably reduce noise. I will have to reset my NS-2 and also the gates on the G. Not to mention I can now turn my channels to 12 o' clock
      • December 27, 2011
Go to page