Solutions

306,084 members
190,432 posts
  • TheYak
    Contributor - Level 1
    2012-01-20
    After the release of the tone print app for android i updated my pedals (Hall of Fame and Flashback). Ever since I have been getting a high pitched noise coming through my amp whenever they are plugged in. Im running them in the Fx loop of a blackstar ht5. This was not happening before the update. Anyone got any ideas?
    read more...
    0 2,067
    • TheYak
      btx I am also getting a high pitched whine when i engage my hall of fame pedal. Anyone can help?
      • January 21, 2013
    • TheYak
      bgofc I'm having the exact same issue with my Hall of Fame. It only began happening today, and I just assumed it was because it's a second-hand pedal, but I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having problems. I've tried updating the firmware and I took it off my board's power supply and plugged it in with a regular ac converter. It occasionally stopped the squeal for a while, but inevitably it came back, no matter what I did.
      • January 27, 2013
    • TheYak
      bosshog Over xmas I brought a Hall of Fame and Flashback. I have this wining/hum as well .

Its the first time I have a TC electronics pedals, but this noise is driving me mad, so I will have to sell or return to shop if I can.

If there's a solution I'd be glad to know, but these are really noisy plugged in even when just on 'true pass'.

Is it normal for the TC electronics pedals?
      • January 29, 2013
  • zaidcrowe
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-20
    Any one got one of these?

Any idea if / how it could be integrate with the g - love to hear any/all suggestions!
    0 3,076
    • zaidcrowe
      zaidcrowe from my own digging - i think the answer is a resounding no - but id love a resident expert to confirm that decision
      • January 20, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      utterlyguitarde You would have to run it before your G-System, figuratively and physically, as you need to use the Freeze pedal's switch to activate it.

I personally like the idea of using it with a Looper pedal, run to a separate amp from the G-System in a one-man band kinda situation. Cool pedal!

Rock on,

Scott.
      • January 20, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      Banenis I would definitely run it after the g sys output, before it returns to your amp. If you run it before the g sys then all your reverbs and delays are going to continue to reverb and delay the "frozen" signal and it might sound totally silly. If you put if after the G, the frozen signal will contain all the reverb and delay (as well as all other tone/fx) info but you'll still be able to play over it as normal.

Just my $0.02
      • January 20, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      zaidcrowe Thanks guys

Unfortunately - sounds like both those options would add uber cable runs to my rig - ill have to try the pedal i guess and decide if its worth it

Anyone seen anything similar in another unit thats say midi controlled?
      • January 21, 2012
    • zaidcrowe
      bucketbot

zaidcrowe wrote:

Thanks guys

Unfortunately - sounds like both those options would add uber cable runs to my rig - ill have to try the pedal i guess and decide if its worth it

Anyone seen anything similar in another unit thats say midi controlled?

FWIW I briefly owned one & sold it on as didn't really like it & thought it's application was quite limited. :/
      • January 24, 2012
  • adr1anos
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-20
    Hello all,
    Following a request and a subsequent discussion with certain members of our local guitar forum (http://forum.kithara.gr/index.php?topic=79577.msg668426#msg668426), we came up with this idea which may be of interest to you Nova System owners.

I therefore freely submit for your benefit the following design of a Nova System Front/EffectsLoop Switcher based on a single 3PDT footswitch:

I apologize if something similar has already been posted here,

I am at your disposal for any thoughts or comments you may have.
    Cheers to all
    Adrian
    read more...
    0 15,302
    • adr1anos
      rider1260 Cool idea

BUT

You can't use the line and drive inputs without changing the input of the Nova.

so this would not be a foot switchable thing
      • January 20, 2012
    • adr1anos
      lifele55 Yeap. Cool idea.. Even if it can't be foot switchable, I guess you can just hardwire it as a patch board so pedalboard junkies like me can plug in direct into the box without trying to find which pedal goes to the loop and which to the front... But then again, loop master alr has it and I've been thinking of modifying my PT2 just so it works like that...

Good concept again..
      • January 21, 2012
    • adr1anos
      adr1anos Thank you for your feedback gentlemen,

I am not myself an owner of a Nova System, therefore I understand that the INPUT attribute is not a part of a PRESET parameter set in the current software.

So at the moment, this would be useful to avoid changing cables.

Maybe in a future update TC would consider making this information part of a preset to enable the user to avoid bending over to select the input method.

Then it would make more sense as a foot switchable thing..
      • January 22, 2012
    • adr1anos
      adr1anos And here is a further version with more helpful LEDs:

• January 30, 2012
    • adr1anos
      lifele55 This can prove to be useful indeed...

Question, if lets say I select 'Effects' then will these still be signal to 'Front'? Why I ask is because IF I use the Nova then I still need to go into front of amp.

If it works I might just build this. Definitely saves time changing cables...
      • January 31, 2012
  • BlueSpecial
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-20
    Hello,

I connect the G-System using the 3CM as I only use one OD/DS (actually is a Treble Booster) and it sounds great directly to the amp input.

How should I connect the Hum Eliminator on the 3CM?

Thanks in advance.
    read more...
    0 2,840
    • BlueSpecial
      Banenis Connect it whereever your hum is found. You'll need to experiment to find your hum first.

Every rig is different.
      • January 19, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      BlueSpecial Say if I want to put it between the G and the Amp FX Loop... How should I do it?

Is this correct for 3CM?

G-System Output -> EBTECH INPUT

EBTECH output -> Amp FX Return

Amp FX Send-> G-System Input

Is this the right way to do it? Remember I connect Guitar -> Treble Booster -> Amp Input...

Many thanks...
      • January 19, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      CozmicDebris Since the Hum Eliminator 2 has two pairs of jacks you might want to connect it this way:

Amp FX Send --> Ebtech Input 1

Ebtech Output 1 --> G-System In

G-System Output --> Ebtech Input 2

Ebtech Output 2 --> Amp FX Return

So the Amp's ground is entirely isolated from the G-System and ground loop hum should be gone (if there has been).
      • January 20, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      Stringer76 I could be wrong here, but my understanding of what makes the hum eliminator work is balanced (TRS) connections, so make sure any connections between the G and the hum eliminator are with these types of cables. The connections between the amp and the hum eliminator can be (and probably should be) simple TS connections, unless the amp has a balanced send and return jack. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I understand it. Otherwise the hum eliminator doesn't really do anything.
      • January 20, 2012
    • BlueSpecial
      CozmicDebris

Stringer76 wrote:

I could be wrong here, but my understanding of what makes the hum eliminator work is balanced (TRS) connections, so make sure any connections between the G and the hum eliminator are with these types of cables. The connections between the amp and the hum eliminator can be (and probably should be) simple TS connections, unless the amp has a balanced send and return jack. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but this is how I understand it. Otherwise the hum eliminator doesn't really do anything.

You are right. A part of what the Hum Eliminator does is converting balanced to unbalanced signals and vice versa. This helps to reduce or eliminate hum that can be picked up by the cables themselves which are also functioning as an EMF antenna. So if you have long cable runs between the G and the amp, putting the HE between the G and the amp enables the pseudo-balanced Output of the G to do it's work. Then, the cables between the G and the HE should be the long ones and balanced whereas the cables between the HE and the amp should be as short as possible and can be unbalanced.

But the other thing the HE does is isolating the ground of the devices connected to the respective Input and Output of the HE and thereby preventing a ground loop which can also cause lots of hum. This function is commonly referred to as 'ground lift'. That's why each and every connection between the G and the amp should run through the HE because otherwise a single connection without HE will close the ground loop and that's what we absolutely do not want as long as ground loop hum is an issue.

So if you want to profit from the full functionality of the HE-2, you should always use both available channels with the 3 cable method.
      • January 20, 2012
  • Forbaro
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-19
    I know the nova is up there , but I'm lookin for a fuzz aswell as a distortion pedal
    Any thoughts or experiences
    Cheers
    0 7,164
    • Forbaro
      Banenis Fuzz pedals and the g tend to act funny. Fuzzes really like to see a direct guitar signal.

However. Check out our very own Scott's (forum name: utterlyguitarded) YouTube channel "g system videos." He has recreated some fuzz sounds using only the g and nova drive and I think they sound pretty great.
      • January 19, 2012
    • Forbaro
      Forbaro Thanks , I'll check it out
      • January 19, 2012
    • Forbaro
      elcap420 very few od/distortion pedals maintain their character when put through the loops. The Nova Drive may as it was made for this application. Fuzzes and Muff's are hindered by the buffered signal. I am at this time running both the Skreddy Lunar Module Deluxe and the Royal Beaver Muff as well as the Marshall Shred Master, Throbak OD Booster and a Keeley mod 808 Tube Sreamer through the G but I am searching for a way to use the triggering of the Gsystem to send midi signals to a loop switcher that runs PRE G System as they all start sounding generic at best . Cody who posts here is checking out the RJM Mini Gizmo and will be posting an update at some point . We all hope that it will be the solution!!

This thread is:

http://forum.tcelectronic.com/topic/11259/overdrive-in-loops/
      • January 19, 2012
    • Forbaro
      elcap420 I am not a personal fan of the Nova Drive but many are it all depends on what you are looking for...
      • January 19, 2012
    • Forbaro
      BlueSpecial It really depends how you connect the G-System I think. I use the 3CM because I prefer the sound of my OD pedal connected directly to the amp instead of any of the G loops... In this case any pedal that sounds nice in your amp will still sound nice using the G connected to Amp FX Loops only.

If you look for using a more versatile setup than I would suggest the Nova Drive. I'm not particulary a fan but it was designed to run on the G loops with great results.
      • January 19, 2012
  • bazilica
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-19
    T.C Please tighten the G Systems switches properly before you ship them... its the third time in 8 months ive had to take the 3 million screws out of the floorboard to get to the large locknuts that hold the switches in place.....shouldnt have to do this on a piece of equipment that costs this much.
    read more...
    0 3,135
    • bazilica
      neilbunker It's normal wear and tear. They just get loose over time, no matter how tight you screw them down. But think of it this way: If they didn't come loose, they wouldn't be held in by a screw, ie, wouldn't be replaceable. So now imagine a button breaks every eight months, instead of just coming loose. And you can't just replace a button, you have to send the whole unit back. I personally would rather tighten down the buttons every now and then.

As far as the "it's expensive" argument: Let's say for example, and I'm sure it's at least somewhat similar for you, you use the G about 10 to 15 hours/week. For me it's quite a bit more. So in 8 months that is between 320 and 480 hours. Can you think of anything else that gets literally stepped on that much and doesn't come a little loose? Let alone a sophisticated electronic device?
      • January 20, 2012
    • bazilica
      Laird_Williams

bazilica wrote:

T.C Please tighten the G Systems switches properly before you ship them... its the third time in 8 months ive had to take the 3 million screws out of the floorboard to get to the large locknuts that hold the switches in place.....shouldnt have to do this on a piece of equipment that costs this much.

Use some Loctite threadlocker while you are in there.
      • January 20, 2012
    • bazilica
      bazilica Had a GCX Ground Control for 10 years never had to tighten any of the foot switches up on that or come to think of it, any of the numerous Boss/MXR/Etc pedals ive owned over the years.....I think for something that see,s 3 gigs a month and maybe 2 hours of home use per day,to have its foot switches re-tightened 3 times in 8 months is "a poor show"...a Nyloc Type threaded nut would be better or even a plain old locking washer found on just about every switch would be an improvement.
      • January 22, 2012
    • bazilica
      zaidcrowe I have to agree with basilica on this one - I think a few people are way to anxious to run to the G's defence about stuff like this from time to time.

As with apple products (and I'm way guilty of this) - I think people have got ton a little blinded sided after all the hard work $$$ and patience they put into getting the g to work for them.

I've owned far
      • January 22, 2012
    • bazilica
      neilbunker Well, I can only speak to my own experience, but I have worn out the switches on quite a few boss type pedals, boutique true-bypass pedals, and true-bypass loopers. This is the main reason for my switch to the G. After a third round of supposedly "high-quality" 3pdt switches going south on my pedals and looper on my old pedal board, I got fed up with it.

I've been using the G almost a year, playing 3-4 usually 4-hour gigs a week as well as at-home use, and I had to tighten the screws once, about a month in, and haven't had an issue since. I think it may have something to do with having it mounted in a road case. I was carrying it loose inside a pedal board case for the first month. I guess Laird's advice is probably your best bet.

I guess the real issue that kind of hit a nerve with me is not the expectation for the G to be perfect, but the expectation that because something is expensive, it should require less maintenance. I've found the opposite to be true in my experience. I do think you have a valid point that there may be something that can be done to fix it. So no offense intended.
      • January 22, 2012
  • Cpelaez1
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-19
    Hey folks. Got the g system about a month ago and I love it. I have the brains in the rack and have been using my volume pedal fine since I got it. Using the Y cable to connect it into the controller volume jack and one day it stopped working. I have literally tried everything: a new cable, re calibrating it (it says it's working fine), clearing the entire system, different insert loop cables, ect... I don't know what else to do and I love volume swells so you can realize how badly I need to fix this lol. Thanks again.

Cristian
    read more...
    0 4,638
    • Cpelaez1
      Banenis You have to reinstall your firmware. This is a known issue and supposedly the 4.04 firmware release fixes it. However, if you reinstall 4.02, you will regain control of your pedal parameters again.

Good luck.
      • January 18, 2012
    • Cpelaez1
      Cpelaez1 There's a new firmware update?
      • January 18, 2012
    • Cpelaez1
      Cpelaez1 I checked the tc site and only saw the 4.02 firmware I didn't see 4.04 has it not come out yet? Is there an expected date for it?
      • January 18, 2012
    • Cpelaez1
      Cpelaez1 I'm testing the new firmware I'll post results as soon as I get home from work.
      • January 18, 2012
    • Cpelaez1
      Marky944 Hi guys

I am now running 4.04 and so far all is fine. Moreover, when I fancied swapping a few things around between Vol and Expression pedals, every continued to work afterwords! the old version would have had a nervous breakdown over this sort of antics and the G would not have spoken to me for weeks as a result.

I think TC need to get a formal update out to the masses ASAP; it would save a lot of stress and loss of faith in their otherwise great product.

Cheers

Mark
      • January 19, 2012
  • PaulAngle
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-18
    Since Eric has used the stereo SCF chorus model for ages. How about a tone print from him for the Corona?? Eric is the chorus God as far as I am concerned.
    Anyone ideas on pot settings on the std mode to get close to Eric's Chorus?

My 2 cents, the Dan Huff Chorus is the best one I have tried that is solidly musically useful. Thick and lush without loss of control or tone.

I am wondering if TC is ever going to release a public editor version for those of us who do not worship at the altar of a lot of players who are relatively clueless with effects? I hope something comes of it before I get around to replacing my chorus and flashback allowing for presets and a ms readout. Really nice pedals for the bucks, no doubt. The Flashback a really musical delay, love it really but the lure of presets and a ms readout are drawing me. The editor release would make these pedals pretty untouchable.
    read more...
    0 2,803
  • Spudmurphy
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-18
    Would someone kindly help this ol' sod to nail the edges delay for the above song, by stating the settings for the fx level, delay and feedback - talking in O'clock terms ? Cheers

Spud
    0 5,224
    • Spudmurphy
      CraigB This works quite well for me...

Delay: 12 o'clock (use Audio Tap for exact delay)

FX Level: 12 o'clock

Delay type: MOD

Switch in middle position (dotted 8th)

hope this helps..
      • February 4, 2012
  • duggie098
    Contributor - Level 2
    2012-01-18
    Can anybody tell me how i can download these presets from the vault,ive tryed to no avail, do i need certain software or something? any help would be great,thanks
    0 1,888
    • duggie098
      krubel54 You need to go to TC Electronic's page for the G-System and download the latest software and firmware. The software is called Vyzor G-System.
      • January 18, 2012
Go to page