Solutions

268,224 members
147,779 posts
  • JIHC
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-07-05
    Escriban todo lo relacionado al Nova System en Español, ya habia escrito en el foro del G sharp, ahora sera del Nova System y que sea una referencia para los que no dominamos el ingles, gracias.
    0 19,836
    • JIHC
      JIHC EStoy pensando en comprarme un nova system, actualmente tengo un g-sharp y pues lo voy a vender, pero tambien me atrae el g major 2, pero creo que realmente le sacaraia mas provecho al nova system, alguna sugerencia, gracias.
      • July 5, 2011
    • JIHC
      JIHC Tambien aprovechando que opinan de la edicion limitada vale la pena comprarlo, bueno si alcanzas uno!!!
      • July 5, 2011
    • JIHC
      JIHC Que diferencia encuentran en la calidad de los efectos del Nova system contra el G system, por favor aporten informacion gracias.
      • July 17, 2011
    • JIHC
      danbrett Hola JIHC, tengo una NOVA. Te puedo como lo veo frente a otros pedales analogicos, pero no a otro producto de TC Electronics.

Saludos,

Dan
      • July 17, 2011
    • JIHC
      JIHC Wow, pues estaria genial toda informacion que me puedas dar, respecto a la calidad de los efectos facilidad de programacion, tu experiencia respecto al Nova, gracias!!!!
      • July 22, 2011
  • macdude1986
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-07-04
    I have an M-One that I bought from guitar center a few years ago that I'm using with my home studio. I have it wired through my mixer so that when I play music through my itunes library, I'm able to hear the different effects I want. After it's been powered on for a few minutes, it's as if the unit itself is locked up. I can't choose any effects or make any selections on the front panel. The audio meters on the left side of the screen just stay in one position and they're not moving up and down like they would if I had audio playing through it. I've already tried resetting the system parameters, but that didn't do any good. Is there a way to update the firmware for it? Am I doing something wrong?
    read more...
    0 2,196
    • macdude1986
      luisdent Did you ever resolve this? I'm having a similar issue. It starts to boot and freezes like yours. I can't reset my parameters though. I don't know if there's a hard reset? Or is it dead? That would be lame...
      • November 30, 2011
  • TC-Mike
    Triber Moderator
    2011-06-29
    Hi guys,

since we got a couple of questions regarding this, here is a little screencast on how to
    backup your Nova system user presets via the "Dump Bank" feature in Nova System's "Midi Setup menu". MidiOX's user interface might seem a little daunting at first for the aspiring Midi novice, but it is actually very easy to use once you know your way around.

You can download a flash video of the backup procedure here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3142621/Backing_up_presets_with_Midi_Ox_on_PC.swf

1) Download and install latest version of MidiOX. you can download it for free on www.Midiox.com

2) First thing to do after starting MidiOx is to select and setup your computer's Midi interface, so your Nova system Midi dump can be recorded in Midi OX.

-navigate to the "Midi devices" entry in the "options" menu
    - your connected Midi interface should be listed in the Midi input and output fields.
    - to select them just left click on the name, so your device name turns blue

I always like have the Midi input and output monitor window open, so you can see when and what data is transmitted, but it is not needed for the dump procedure (see video)

3) now open the "SYSEX " window from the "View" menu of MidiOX
    -this is where all preset dump related commands are handled.

4) in the sysEx View /scratchpad window click on the "SysEx" menu and select
    "Receive manual dump...
    - a little sysEX receive window will open up, indicating that MidiOX is ready to record your
    user bank dump

5) Now go to Nova System's "Midi" Setup menu and select "Dump Bank" which will send
    the settings of all your user presets to your PC. Press "menu" button to start transmission

6) You should now see MidiOX receiving data. Wait until the transmission has ended and click on "Done". this should leave you with a lot of numbers in the display window

7) Now we just need to save our preset dump: click on the "display window" of the sysEX view and select " Save as ..."

best,

Mike
    read more...
    0 10,690
    • TC-Mike
      jimsz Hi Mike, when I open up "Midi Devices" and the MIDI Out is blue but the MIDI In stays green and does not turn blue.
      • June 29, 2011
    • TC-Mike
      jimsz I couldn't really get the MIDIOX to work but I was able to download all my presets using Kweeg's NovaManager software by just making the connections and hitting the Dump Bank in the Nova. Worked great.
      • June 29, 2011
    • TC-Mike
      nighyhawk60 Hi Mike and jimsz, I think a lot of people (including myself) would appreciate a step by step for the nova manager, like the one for midiOx.
      • September 27, 2011
    • TC-Mike
      Hellesoe321 Thank you very much! Much appreciated!
      • October 15, 2013
  • tucky
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-06-28
    Hi all

Thinking about buying a G system. After reading Lairds white paper I'm not clear on whether you absolutely have to have two Ebtech He2's when using the four cable method to change your three balanced TRS cable connections to unbalanced TS connections?

Have users gotten away with using just balanced cables without the Ebtech's?

Thanks
    read more...
    0 11,039
    • tucky
      Laird_Williams

tucky wrote:

Hi all

Thinking about buying a G system. After reading Lairds white paper I'm not clear on whether you absolutely have to have two Ebtech He2's when using the four cable method to change your three balanced TRS cable connections to unbalanced TS connections?

Have users gotten away with using just balanced cables without the Ebtech's?

Thanks

Lots of folks have managed to have things work with just balanced cables.

Then again: http://forum.tcelectronic.com/viewtopic.php?id=9855

It is your sound, and you have to decide whether the risk is worth the cost savings.
      • June 28, 2011
    • tucky
      Banenis I saved a little by only using 1 he-2. My rig is super quiet.
      • June 28, 2011
    • tucky
      tucky

Laird_Williams wrote:

It is your sound, and you have to decide whether the risk is worth the cost savings.

Hi Laird

Yes I actually saw that thread. Seems like it is better to be safe than sorry, since as you point out you may not know you have a ground loop until you get in a really electrically noisy environment....and then it's too late!

I saw in another thread you use ProCo balanced cables. Does buying low capacitance cables make a difference in tone and sound quality when using balanced cables? Or is that more of an issue for unbalanced leads such as your guitar to the G?
      • June 28, 2011
    • tucky
      hue53084 I do not have or use a Ebtech He2 at all in my setup. My setup is fairly simple and can be seen on the Show My G-sys Rig forum on page 24 toward the end. It has also been used from outdoor to indoor gigging. My setup has no hum issues at all. I am using just balanced cables. Just sharing the experience!
      • June 28, 2011
    • tucky
      Laird_Williams

tucky wrote:

Laird_Williams wrote:

Hi Laird

Yes I actually saw that thread. Seems like it is better to be safe than sorry, since as you point out you may not know you have a ground loop until you get in a really electrically noisy environment....and then it's too late!

I saw in another thread you use ProCo balanced cables. Does buying low capacitance cables make a difference in tone and sound quality when using balanced cables? Or is that more of an issue for unbalanced leads such as your guitar to the G?

Low-cap cables really only make a difference when the output impedance if the signal source is high. If the output impedance of the signal source is low, then cable capacitance is much less of an issue.

Also, cable capacitance is a function of its length. You'll generally see a spec in (micro/pico)Farads per foot. Capacitance of short cables (3' or under) is rarely an issue.

This is why low-cap cables can make a big difference as guitar cables. Guitar cables tend to be pretty long, and the output impedance of the guitar is typically quite high. I hasten to point out, however, that - as with many things in the electric guitar world - the theoretically ideal is sometimes not what you want. A lot of players spend $50 on low-cap guitar cables only to find that they DON'T like their tone afterward. The tone roll-off of a more-traditional cable has become part of "their sound". As such, I encourage BORROWING one and trying it out before spending the money on a low-cap guitar cable. You might love it. You might hate it.

Other audio interconnects are different.

All of the g-System Outputs and Sends are VERY low impedance, so cable capacitance is unlikely to be a factor with any reasonable-quality cable, no matter what the length is.

FX Sends on amps are a different matter - since some amps have nice low-impedance sends and some have output impedances closer to that of a guitar. If your amp has a high-impedance FX send, then you MIGHT benefit from a low-cap cable here. But there are OTHER problems with having a high output impedance on your FX send and I generally recommend buffering the send when this is the case. If you buffer the send and keep the buffer close to the amp (thus limiting the length of the cable that is connected to the high-impedance signal source), then the output of the buffer will be low enough that the capacitance of the cable going to the G-System insert return will be a non-issue, as with any other low-impedance signal source.
      • June 28, 2011
  • posa68
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-06-26
    Hi, I try to update my Nova Sys from system 1.11 to 1.2.
    I use a Mac and an M-Audio FW 410 interface.

I connect with a midi cable Midi-OUT port on M-audio to Midi-IN of Nova, then I launch update program.

It seems that Nova accept new software (all lights power-off except led display), but at the end when program says to reboot Nova I discover that Nova remain on system 1.11...
    When I reboot Nova I see black square on display for 2/3 seconds, but suddenly Nova start with old firmware.

Someone can help me? Thanks in advance...
    read more...
    0 2,617
    • posa68
      kweeg +1

I have the same. No worry at all (Windows 7 / MacOSX).
      • July 1, 2011
    • posa68
      diablopro Same thing here... Cn anybody solve it?
      • November 9, 2012
    • posa68
      jigiulio I did the same
      • August 24, 2013
  • simplifyroger
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-06-23
    I've had my Staccato'51 for about 9 months. Has worked great since the purchase, but I went to power it up for practice and the head appears to be dead. No lights. No fans. No nothing. Switched power outlets and checked the power cable. Still no power. Didn't want to open the head for fear of voiding the warranty. Wondering if there is a fuse on the amp that may need replacing. Any ideas?

I love this amp. Need to get it working asap...

Thanks for any help,

Roger
    read more...
    0 2,334
    • simplifyroger
      simplifyroger Anyone? Any ideas? I'm dead in the water right now...
      • June 26, 2011
    • simplifyroger
      JahooRoisym Damn - would not like to be in your position.

The manual says that there are no user-servicable parts inside, so I would double check if its not the cable or the socket (which you probably did many times by now) and head to the store with warranty papers.
      • July 9, 2011
  • dieselmx
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-06-20
    Anyone use the Nova System with a Blackstar HT 40 or HT 60? Looking to get one and want to know if anyone has any experience with them or even with a Nova. The reviews are nuts on these Blackstar HT's.
    0 14,444
    • dieselmx
      76_ Hi

I use the HT 5 if thats any help...Really nice warm sounding amp with plenty of gain...Very loud for its size
      • June 20, 2011
    • dieselmx
      dieselmx Yea im going to Guitar Center this week to play the Blackstar HT 40 .. from all the videos I have seen it looks and sounds amazing .. not sure if it would be better than the Egnater Renegade though. ... we will find out ... thanks.
      • June 21, 2011
    • dieselmx
      ifailedshapes What type of sound are you going for, and what's your budget?
      • June 21, 2011
    • dieselmx
      ifailedshapes Okay, so I think I got a feel for what the Blackstar sounds like (thanks, YouTube), and I want to throw out another idea for you: Mesa/Boogie Express. There are two versions of this amp, the 5:25 (25 watts, EL84s) and the 5:50 (50 watts, 6L6s).

I owned the 5:25 in a 1x10" combo and loved it, though the 12" version will sound a little better. You can find these used for around the same price as the Blackstar, and it's a much better amp. Why do I think it's a better amp?

- It's built by the same hands that make Lone Stars, Mark Vs, Dual Rectifiers, etc. It's not treated as a budget amp in their eyes; it's simply the least expensive.

- It has two independent channels, each with gain, volume, 3 band EQ, reverb, and contour. Both channels have 2 modes, and they can both go from pristine clean to great overdrive sounds.

- The contour control is simply amazing. It's basically a 5 band EQ turned into a knob. Once you dial in your sound using the bass, mid, and treble knobs, a touch of contour can really round out the sound. Also, by turning the contour on and off, it's almost like having a 4 channel amp... almost.

- While I usually like digital reverbs, the tube-driven spring reverb in the Express is just amazing.

- You can use the foot switch to change channels, turn reverb on/off, and turn contour on/off. Plus if you ever upgrade to a piece of gear that has amp control switches (G-System, G Major 2, etc), you can use 1/4" jacks to control all of the same functions.

- The amp doesn't really have a sound of its own. It's so versatile. It can do pretty much anything you want it to. Most amps have a couple sounds that they were designed for, but the Express is super versatile. Actually, it's a little too versatile for some, because they find all these good sounds, but can only have 2 setup at a time.

Anyway, I'll stop gushing. You really need to try one, though. I sold my Express a few months ago so that I could afford a Stiletto Ace head, and while I love the Stiletto, I really miss the Express. It's a solid amp.

Here's a good review to read: http://www.in2guitar.com/frames.html

And here's the online forum: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=30

Please PM me if you have any questions. I love this stuff.
      • June 21, 2011
    • dieselmx
      Medik98 I think B.S. sounds sweet! However Im a sucker for Brit sounds. All have some little variences but B.S., Vox, Orange, Laney FTW!!!
      • January 16, 2012
  • SatDoug
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-06-14
    Hi All:
    OK, I know they are different. I prefer to play with just a touch of reverb...very, very little, similar to a 'room' setting, versus a hall, etc.

I bought the Flashback hoping I could coax this tiny bit of artificial reverb from it, while at the same time having it for delay as well as the looper function (I realize you can only have one type of effect at a time). So three for the price of one, sort of.

My question...has anyone figured out a setting that would give a very mild reverb sound from the Flashback? I sort of came close with delay & FX level at just below 9 o'clock, and feedback at about 10 o'clock, while the toggle is at the third position, using either the analog or 2290 type delay. I was wondering if anyone else had success with different settings.

Also, regarding the pedal itself...I notice if I pick it up and mess around with it when connected (regardless if it is on or off), I hear some noise, which is only really noticeable when using the dirty channel of my Orange amp...it is gone on the clean channel. It's not the cables, and I am on battery power. Using it in normal fashion, on the floor stomping it, has no problem. So pick up your pedal when connected to a dirty channel and shake it and lemme know!

Thank you!
    -Doug
    read more...
    0 10,699
    • SatDoug
      PaulAngle Check out the Reeves Gabriel toneprint for ambiance and tone it down.

The Flashback Reverb is an amazing unit.

I love reverb myself and prefer the plate mode. I had a new Hardwire RV-7 right before the toneprint series came out and it remains my fav reverb pedal of all time. Got it for like $50 on a misprint sale price, sweet.

I love the reverb because you do not lose control of your tone or sound and the trail is delicious. I also love a deep long throw reverb which gets into Jeff Beck territory I have always liked because it keeps your tone dynamic, it is rather an art to use delays and hard to find just the right repeat trail under your tone.

The Plate on the Hardwire is a thing of beauty. I am sure the TonePrint Reverb is great but I had just got the new unit and could not see dropping it because it is so good. As for modes on the Flashback, I think you are on the right track using the 2290 because it is the cleanest maybe also try the slapback, also the DYN as it is the 2290 delay with dampening which actives on pause and trial. Should work because that is all a reverb is, a really short delay with ambiance repeat.
      • June 20, 2011
    • SatDoug
      jetdriver +1 Check the Reeves Gabriel Flashback TP. Adjust to taste.
      • June 30, 2011
    • SatDoug
      Shayks21 what settings do you use with this toneprint? no matter what I do I get a long delay, no ambient sound, feels like something is broken...other toneprints work and I tried beaming this toneprint multiple times.

please check out this vid to hear the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U61MNuhaJTs&feature=youtu.be

thanks
      • April 19, 2014
    • SatDoug
      hallofnova i don't think a delay can give you light, room reverb. a delay with more repeats to sound reverby will become pretty dense. if you increase time between repeats to let it breath, you're going to get distinct reflections so it'll sound more like a thick plate setting, than a room.

it'll sound good. just not what you're looking for.
      • April 21, 2014
  • ronnylay
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-06-13
    As G system has noise gate built in, do we need an external noise gate like the ISP G string?

and if yes, where is the best to put it in the system or loops?

I have an ISP g string, however when i boost my solo the noise is still too loud, the hums...the ISP can cut it but also cut my sustains,,,

i put the ISP at loop 3, and when i solo i have my JVM 210H at clean channel, i also using my Suhr Riot, Cark Martin kick boost, and the G's noise gate, at -5db
    read more...
    0 9,585
    • ronnylay
      viclen The G's noisegate gets bad press but I'm not sure why. It's very flexible and more than capable of reducing incoming noise. I've never seen the need for an extrnal gate.

Vic
      • June 13, 2011
    • ronnylay
      Laird_Williams

viclen wrote:

The G's noisegate gets bad press but I'm not sure why. It's very flexible and more than capable of reducing incoming noise. I've never seen the need for an extrnal gate.

Vic

The G's gate is great for what it is - a simple, post-gain gate. No other simple gate on the market, placed in the loop, will do substantially better.

But that's where it stops. Get a gate that separates the detector and muting circuitry so that they can be located optimally (with the detector EARLY in the signal chain where it is most accurate and with the mute later in the signal chain) and the G's gate will have a hard time competing.

And any gate- g-system or otherwise - should be the LAST thing you try to use to reduce noise in your rig. The gate is just "paint". Your signal is the "wood" and the noise is "rot". "Painting" over "rotting wood" is not the best approach to making the wood look good. Better to make sure the wood has a minimum of rot before using paint to protect it. Sometimes, the wood does not even need paint then...
      • June 13, 2011
    • ronnylay
      ronnylay Thank you laird and viclen!!

Laird is there any previous post mentioned a physical setup with the chain u mentioned here? How and what pedals to buy and place in the system? I m hving a hard time of killing the feedbacks when i boost my solo

Thanks!!
      • June 14, 2011
    • ronnylay
      Laird_Williams

ronnylay wrote:

Thank you laird and viclen!!

Laird is there any previous post mentioned a physical setup with the chain u mentioned here? How and what pedals to buy and place in the system? I m hving a hard time of killing the feedbacks when i boost my solo

Thanks!!

You might consider taking a look at the sample rig described in section 5.2 of the G-System white paper.
      • June 15, 2011
    • ronnylay
      ronnylay Thx laird!!
      • June 15, 2011
  • tostoi
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-06-08
    Hi,
    I tried to reinstall my firmware. Now my G System frezzed on "Burning Flash" like 30 minutes... sorry 'bout my english...
    someone can help me?
    thanks,
    Tostoi
    0 13,200
    • tostoi
      Mel What version?
      • June 9, 2011
    • tostoi
      EduardoNieto Hi, i have the same problem. my G-System are in "green screen of death", and after to reinstall the software it freeze in "burning flash".

im tryig to reinstall the 4.02 R1737 firmware.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks and sorry for my english
      • August 2, 2011
    • tostoi
      Stringer76 I had the
      • August 3, 2011
    • tostoi
      Stringer76 Not sure what happened to my last post. I'll type it again. I had the same problem when updating my firmware and saw somewhere on this forum about using a powered USB hub in between the G and computer. It worked for me, so if you have a powered USB hub it's worth a try.
      • August 3, 2011
    • tostoi
      EduardoNieto Thanks Stringer76. i did it and doesn´t work. the problem remains the same. some times i turn it on and it work for few seconds and them it freeze.

i´m very sad, i have only 2 weeks with my G.
      • August 3, 2011
Go to page