Solutions

294,133 members
177,203 posts
  • JohannLindenber
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    Hi,

I'm new on the Nova System and try to do my first steps.

The manual says
    0 7,549
    • JohannLindenber
      JohannLindenber Sorry, my message was incomplete!

Complete question is:

I'm new on the Nova System and try to do my first steps.

The manual says: The higher the Ingain is set the lower the output range should be set.

What are the boundary values of this rule? My guitar generates an input of max 24 dB, so I set the InGain parameter to 20. Is it high or medium or low? What could be the problems if I don't find the correct value of output range? Distortion, or what else?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Johann
      • December 26, 2011
    • JohannLindenber
      lifele55 20 is high IMO.. but that really depends. One mans 20 is another mans 8? Lol... And there's no boundaries with these setups really. Just try to get the volume and tone as close to when you plug the guitar into the amp direct and you're set..

Only problem if levels wasn't set up right would be that the input signal will be clipping and your tone will definitely suffer and be altered.
      • December 30, 2011
    • JohannLindenber
      Laird_Williams

lifele55 wrote:

20 is high IMO.. but that really depends. One mans 20 is another mans 8? Lol... And there's no boundaries with these setups really. Just try to get the volume and tone as close to when you plug the guitar into the amp direct and you're set..

Only problem if levels wasn't set up right would be that the input signal will be clipping and your tone will definitely suffer and be altered.

Input level can be too low also. This will result in substantially-reduced dynamic range after the A/D conversion. In general, with digital devices, you need to set the input high enough so that it just misses clipping with you hardest strumming or heaviest picking on your bridge pickup.
      • December 30, 2011
    • JohannLindenber
      Laird_Williams

lifele55 wrote:

20 is high IMO.. but that really depends. One mans 20 is another mans 8? Lol... And there's no boundaries with these setups really. Just try to get the volume and tone as close to when you plug the guitar into the amp direct and you're set..

Input level can be too low also. This will result in substantially-reduced dynamic range after the A/D conversion. In general, with digital devices, you need to set the input high enough so that it just misses clipping.
      • December 30, 2011
    • JohannLindenber
      Shiner But what Output Range setting do you use? Default, my new NS was set to 20, which was too hot for my amp input. In one of the videos from TC they say you should set it to 2db if you are running it straight in to the amp input. I find that that is a bit too low on my amp, so I set it to 8db (unfortunately there is no choice between 2 and 8).
      • December 31, 2011
  • musicman0001
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    Hi,

Where can I find patches (.prs) or other settings from other users of a G-system & Nova Drive?
    Preferably with Road King & PRS 513 gear.

To get in contact with musicians that have same set up or to find places where patches are stored by means of songs/artists. For sure in the world a lot of musicians have already spend months/years of time to create the correct sound to get near the original sound/artists.

I did find the G-systems own version, but it does not contain a lot of songs/artists.
    I guess there are .prs files all over the world...
    But where?

Kind regards,
    Musicman
    G-system; Nova Drive, Mesa Boogie Road King II, PRS 513
    read more...
    0 2,053
  • Sullen
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-12-27
    Hi, I have two rigs with G System and I don't know if I'm hooking up them correctly. I'll post some paint diagrams I did so you guys can point me in the right direction, thanks in advance!

Rig 1: Decimator ProRackG Stereo, Mesa Recording Preamp, TC G-System, Mesa 2:100 Poweramp.

Diagram 1 (Rig 1, Setup 1)

Diagram 2 (Rig 1, Setup 2)

Rig 2: Amp Gizmo, Decimator ProRackG, G-System, Mesa Rectifier Roadster Head. (Here I got stuck on how to finish it.)

Diagram 3 (Rig 2, Setup unfinished)

*Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
    read more...
    0 1,594
  • sahertian
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    for TORE (tc electronics) and others...

Please provide us a toneprint which can do a freeze / sustain effect like the
    EHX FREEZE.

Must be possible in your FB or HOF pedals..

thanks...
    0 2,021
    • sahertian
      TC-Mike Hi Sahertian,

a buffer freeze effect is currently not possible with any of the toneprint pedals. you could try to use the flashback's looper for a sustain effect, but it won't yield similar results, as the software hasn't got any X-fade feature when doing short loops. The idea is of great though and i noted it down as a feature request.

Currently the only TC product that can do this are the TC helicon Vocal processors (Voice Live, Voice Works), which have a "harmony hold" functions for your voice, but this wouldn't work too well with guitar signals either.
      • January 12, 2012
  • Surfi
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-27
    Hi everybody,

I got a G System and hooked it up via the famous white paper with my Marshall JVM 205 H, via 4CM,

but i have annoying noise in the clean channel, even in all bypass mode B9-5......amp is dead quiet when guitar plugged in directly in this channel.

Any idea? Tried an ebtech Hum Eliminator, but no difference. Also no difference which guitar I plug in...

Also have noise in the loops, for example with an Okko Diablo gain overdrive, with level around 10 Clock, which is also dead quiet when put in directly to the map

Help is heighly appreciated.

Regards from Germany!
    Chris
    read more...
    0 1,489
    • Surfi
      Surfi Happy New Year everyone....!

To keep all updated, with some help of Laird I found a workaround to archive a decent sound and eliminate 95% of the hiss;

1. Put a sunday Lehle driver between guitar and G System, around 11 o Clock,

2. turn Input gain down to 0, eliminates most of the hiss.

3. put a G lab level shifter between G System and Amp FX in, to boost the signal at 6db, so there is no level difference when switching FX loop on / off (100% wet, + 4db.

Sounds ok

Cheers

Chris
      • January 1, 2012
  • dreammaster
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-26
    Hi,
    On my G-System, when I enter “Edit” mode my encoder buttons will not change the parameter values. In normal function mode, the buttons will change patches and banks, but I am unable to modify the parameter values when in edit mode.

Any solutions???

Thanks !
    read more...
    0 2,392
    • dreammaster
      bucketbot Try a Firmware re-install maybe?

If still same problem contact TC support.
      • December 26, 2011
    • dreammaster
      krubel54 Maybe go into UTILITY and CLEAR SYSTEM?
      • December 27, 2011
    • dreammaster
      bucketbot

krubel54 wrote:

Maybe go into UTILITY and CLEAR SYSTEM?

Good point...try that first.
      • December 27, 2011
    • dreammaster
      dreammaster I have reinstalled firmware update 4.02 v1737, but the encoders still aren't functioning. I am able to access the G-System and modify parameters using Vyzor editing software, but I need to get the encoders happening.

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      • December 29, 2011
    • dreammaster
      dreammaster I can't use the encoders to CLEAR SYSTEM as the buttons won't change the parameters. Can the system be cleared using Vyzor ? I am able to access, modify and update the patch parameters using the Vyzor software, but the encoder buttons still aren't working. Is it possible that some setting is locked, preventing the encoders from functioning properly
      • December 29, 2011
  • ChistosFp
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-26
    Dear Friends Ib modified owner..... I just found de solution for the tone sucking problem....... using the 4 cable method..... put a BBE sonic maximizer between the left output of the G system and the loop in of your amplifier and that`s it...... and increase the process knob and the problem its gone and you get the tube tone and sparklin again fo your amplifier.......,,,, do not waste time and money for extra fansy solutions its so simple as that...... of course a couple of good cables are necesary.

Obviuosly, I feel pissed off by TC because the main reason I bougth de nuew G System was the input buffer mod, and it`s bull---..... try my advice....... and post your comments.....
    read more...
    0 16,119
    • ChistosFp
      krubel54 I've gone through Laird's white paper and I'm also using the 4 cable method. I feel confident that I can get a good sound with the back end (preamp in G System insert loop, while plugging my guitar into the amp input). Using Laird's method of hooking up the G System "Back End" in Section 2.1.4 results in success for me when I integrate the noise gate for my preamps noise. I would like to note that I have gone through the 2nd section (Configuring the G-System Signal Path) 3 times already and have my levels/locks set properly so I'm just anticipating the noise by using a gate during this section.

I still don't understand whether since I have a combo amp with a serial and parallel loop (I use the serial) if sections 2.1.4.4+5 (Loop Levels) even apply to my setup. So I skip that with concern and proceed because the timbre sounds the same without a buffer. Maybe this section is what you're looking for. Also make sure to go through section 2.1.5.2 (G-System "Front End") to set the Input Gain to make it "transparent". For me I can get my G to be transparent but unfortunately I have not conquered the noise yet.
      • December 26, 2011
    • ChistosFp
      ChistosFp I will try tomorrow your info.... and post the results..... also I`m gonna make a video about the tone loss whit the 4 cable method and the BBE sonic maximizer....
      • December 26, 2011
    • ChistosFp
      krubel54 I have done some research to discover that my RM50 uses a line level fx loop. The G System sends an instrument level signal. I need to be using an Ebtech Line Level Shifter. I first tried the Ebtech Hum Eliminator which failed to remove the noise problem I'm having.

I'm going today to exchange my HE-2 for a LLS-2 and I'll post the results.
      • December 27, 2011
    • ChistosFp
      Guitarman1111 Does anyone know if the Modified IB has a hum issue and needs an isolation box? I just bought one and am about to embark on what seems to be a disaster of a set up.

This sonic maximizer is new info as well...I did notice that my triple rectifier head sounded kinda limp with the G-system going through the FX loop and full wet position to the FX return...

These posts are very helpful. THANKS!
      • December 27, 2011
    • ChistosFp
      ChistosFp thank`s Guitarman ..... well I don`t have any issue whith hum has reported by Krubel54, but i`m waiting for the nova drive in couple of weeks..... if I have any hum I`ll tell ...... whit the triple rec, you must use the kill dry..... that`s what I do with mine......

krubel54, try to change the position of the ebtech hum eliminator in the signal chain..... specially in the returns signal.....
      • December 27, 2011
  • Egnodin
    Contributor - Level 1
    2011-12-26
    Musician's Friend says:

"Get a free MojoMojo TonePrint pedal via mail-in rebate when you purchase any two qualifying TC Electronic pedals (see PDF for details) between 11/15/11 - 12/24/11.

Offer expires 12/31/11"

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/tc-electronic-flashback-delay-toneprint-series-guitar-effects-pedal

Is the Mojomojo rebate extended to Dec 31, 2011 and will TC honor this?
    read more...
    0 826
  • rpaterson33
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-26
    So I hooked up a ernie ball vp jr (with proper cables ) to the volume and it doesn't so much swell. You can hear it step up or down like its pushing a button to volume up or down. Also in heel down it mutes the entire system even with reverb or delay so volume swells arnt possible. Do I have it set up wrong or is that how it is?
    read more...
    0 3,111
    • rpaterson33
      bucketbot If you want to hear the rev & delay repeats with the pedal in the min position you need to set the configuration so the G Sys Volume control is at the input.

Sounds like you have it at the output?

You say proper cables? What exactly? ensure you are using a TRS - 2 mono TS insert Y cable & that you have the TS jacks connected the correct way.

PEDAL IN --> Y-CABLE RING

PEDAL OUT --> Y-CABLE TIP

G VOL Jack to TRS

Also make sure you then calibrate the pedal & do not make or un'make any connections unless the G is powered off,
      • December 26, 2011
    • rpaterson33
      rpaterson33 Yeah cables are as you described. How do you put the volume in front? I can't find it in the options
      • December 26, 2011
    • rpaterson33
      damcka I second bucketbot's answer. Do a search online for a TRS - 2 mono TS insert Y cable, if you're not using one of these, then it probably explains you problem....

Welcome to G system - splash out $$$$ and then realise you have spend more.....and more!......although I do love it!
      • December 26, 2011
    • rpaterson33
      bucketbot This is what you need:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cfy_09_vpp.htm

The volume position assignment is in Global in the menu tree.
      • December 26, 2011
    • rpaterson33
      rpaterson33 Thanks guys for the help! I got it working a bit better now. I love my g system theres just SO much tweaking needed for it.
      • December 27, 2011
  • cblues93
    Contributor - Level 2
    2011-12-26
    Laird,
    Please, I need your help!!
    My Blackstar series one 50 , G-System and Nova Drive do not match each other when linked together.
    The amp channels don't switch, while ND channels yes.. I also set two different midi channels for amp and ND, nothing !!
    Note that if I connect the ampli without the ND (G-System out connected with ampli midi in) the switching is ok so it's not the ampli
    I used the scheme here below you provided but it doesn't work ( the channels, mainly the first two, switch randomly) , it only works (following Blackstar program change)
    with factory presets but not with the user ones if not with one bank only !!!

G-System MIDI Out --Amp MIDI In (standard MIDI Cable)
    Amp MIDI Thru -->Y-cable "rx" connector
    Nova Drive MIDI --> Y-cable single end connector
    Y-cable "tx" connector --> G-System MIDI In

Set G-System and Amp to same MIDI channel. Do NOT use OMNI.
    Set Nova Drive to a different MIDI channel from the G and the amp.

I very much appreciated an input on how to solve it, I will have a gig in a couple of days and I would love to use my system at its best !!!
    Many thanks
    Carlo
    read more...
    0 1,202
Go to page