Solutions

242,663 members
119,060 posts
  • JamesSteele
    Contributor - Level 2
    2007-11-16
    Hi all. I'm a new PoCo user. Tonight I was getting a feel for some of the included plugs with the card. I'm using Digital Perfomer 5.13 and Leopard. Any way, I was using the Chorus-Delay plug on a track insert as a straight delay and noticed that the delay repeats cut off if there is no actual audio being processed by the plug. So in order to hear the repeats I would have to splice actual silent audio to the tails of vocal phrases to avoid cutting off the repeats.

Is this usual or is it just something related to AU, DP??? Thanks!
    read more...
    1 3,309
    • JamesSteele
      trondned DP and Logic do that, I've heard. The idea is to save CPU as the plug-ins only use processing power when audio is pressent. Not a good idea for delays/reverbs, so yes, splice silent audio in where needed.
      • November 18, 2007
  • jonreingold
    Contributor - Level 1
    2007-11-16
    I am currently a Sonar user (Windows XP). I'm wondering what host software do folks with Powercore use most commonly, and on what OS?

Jon
    0 29,874
    • jonreingold
      JamesSteele Digital Performer 5.13, Mac OS 10.5.1... I'm liking it so far!
      • November 16, 2007
    • jonreingold
      werner Please read my signature.
      • November 16, 2007
    • jonreingold
      him It works great!!
      • November 16, 2007
    • jonreingold
      alad "Sawstudio 4.0C / Midi Workshop"

Would you recommend it (compared to nuendo) ?

Does it make sense for single workstations, or network only ?

Thanks,

the lad
      • November 16, 2007
    • jonreingold
      DaveBourke Digital Performer 5.12 under OS X 10.4.10 (I'm not as brave as James).

Kind regards.
      • November 16, 2007
  • Wildman
    Contributor - Level 2
    2007-11-16
    HI,

I am in two minds at the moment whether to go for the PCIe cards or go for the powercore X8. I hoping to get a macpro quad core soon and I will use a Fireface800 with it. Will the powercore x8 cause any bandwith probs with the Fireface.

Any help appreciated
    read more...
    0 16,722
    • Wildman
      bashar Go PCIe, I had the firewire before, it eats the firewire bus literally, so plan on installing a separate PCI firewire card if you want your audio clean, the mac pro share a single firewire bus, and god forbid you have a firewire harddrive.... The latency is higher with firewire bus and the interface is 400 NOT 800 for the X8, so that means it will communicate at 400 even you put it on an 800 bus, I hope that TC does a good robust driver for this one, I have had logic chock and crash with a fully loaded powercore firewire,and that was 1/2 the power of the X8......
      • November 16, 2007
    • Wildman
      Wildman thanks Bashar helpful comments indeed.The reason I fancied the X8 was I could use it with a laptops as well but obviously this is no go as well.

Cheers
      • November 16, 2007
    • Wildman
      husker i thought the macpros had two firewire busses on them - in which case you should be fine - best check with apple though
      • November 16, 2007
    • Wildman
      bashar No the macrpro s have one shared bus and if you buy an extra firewire PCIe card they will NOT sleep properly... I am not sure how much the X8 will retail for, but my guess, that TC will release a PCIe powercore unplugged soon, If you need that much power, then it might be worth buying 2 powercores PCIes anyways, As for portability, unless you are the prodogy on tour, why on earth would you need a bulky rack/transformer of mostly mixing FX?!! The powercore compact is a better product here, if you need to run a software virus or master some tracks in a hotel room...
      • November 16, 2007
    • Wildman
      Wildman Hi,

Bashar is right:

The quad-core Mac Pro was introduced in August 2006 and the 8-core Mac Pro was introduced in April 2007 as a configure-to-order-option. The Mac Pro provides two FireWire 800 IEEE 1394b ports and two FireWire 400 IEEE 1394a ports. The four FireWire ports are on the same FireWire bus and share a single power supply that can provide 7 W per port, up to 28 watts total. The FireWire 800 and FireWire 400 ports provide a regulated power of approximately 12 VDC.

However will the next immenient Macpro changed this?
      • November 17, 2007
  • Purusha
    Contributor - Level 2
    2007-11-16
    Although everything seems to be working ok on Cubase 4.1 and Live 6, I attempted to do some mastering on a file last night with MD3 and Brickwall Limiter.

Although I managed to do a render OK, when playing back live with the plug-in inserted, audio kept dropping out and I got the Powercore dialogue box a few times telling me I'd lost connected. MD3 went "disabled" too at one point.

Anyone else using Wavelab? Is it working OK for you?

BTW - system description in my kit list below if anyone needs it.

Thanks!
    read more...
    1 3,728
  • ehasting
    Contributor - Level 2
    2007-11-16
    Hey,

are there any beta drivers or plans on when new drivers that makes the midi work on the tc konnekt interface on os x leopard (10.5) arrives?

Rgs
    Egil
    http://blogg.higen.org
    read more...
    0 18,884
    • ehasting
      romac Yeah... The same question I wanted to ask.

When will there be the drivers for leopard? (PPC/Intel)

Thanx
      • November 17, 2007
    • ehasting
      ehasting I feel forced to to a reinstall of Tiger (10.4), if there is no respons from tc regarding new os x drivers.

The soundcard was working for me flawlessly under 10.4, but some weird issues (which was not related to the soundcard) made me upgrading to 10.5. But now it seems like i need to roll back to be able to create some music again.
      • November 21, 2007
    • ehasting
      thomas Guys,

We found the bug, and it has turned out to be a simple spelling thing, that you can actually fix yourself.

Look for :

../Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/

The file that is called

"TCNear.bundle"

should be renamed to

"TCNear.plugin"

Restart.

We'll of course fix this in the next installer, sorry for the inconvenience.
      • November 22, 2007
    • ehasting
      ehasting I LOVE YOU !!! THanks
      • November 22, 2007
    • ehasting
      hooker and what about midi with konekt8?

I canT find this file
      • November 23, 2007
  • tore
    Contributor - Level 2
    2007-11-16
    There's been a number of feature requests in various threads and while we obviously can't promise that a suggestion will make to a firmware release and I figured it would be a good idea to gather them all in one spot. To start it off, I've copied some great suggestions gbtommasi posted in the "What Routing Are You Using?" thread:

"... it would be great to decide wether you have mod before or after delay, say, or even after reverb for those 'landscape' ambient guitar sounds.
    Even without going that complex, it would also be very useful if i could assign a % of reverb to delayrepeats when using parallel or semi parallel mode, so that they could 'sit' more nicely in reverb's ambience. It would sound more 'natural'.
    read more...
    0 668,221
    • tore
      scottkahn Feature requests:

1. It would be great to be able to see the tuner while playing, like with the G-Major and G-Force. I miss this from my other TC gear...

2. MODULATION DELAY. It would be great to be able to set a chorus rate and depth to just the repeat notes of a delay signal.

Scott
      • November 16, 2007
    • tore
      ny10547 Any chance of synth sounds similar to the Axe FX? They have some sounds where you get the guitar as well as string type swells.

Also a little better tuner for the bass. Not a hi priority on that one though.

One more, would it be possible to have the volume and expression pedals control parameters on not only the G but also on preamps? Right now the G only controls program changes. That one would be real nice.
      • November 16, 2007
    • tore
      gbtommasi ha! this is a very dangerous thread Tore, you know musicians' fantasy is unlimited!

• November 16, 2007
    • tore
      dirkpispers I don't have a G-System yet, but I will buy one in the next weeks and I studied the manual a little.

I think a parameter patch/global in the menu for setting up and customize the footswitches will make the G-System even more flexible.

For example, if Loop4 on/off or Delay on/off will be set to global, the setting will not change when I change between patches.

Dirk
      • November 16, 2007
    • tore
      sheguitarplayer +1 on the routing so you can put the mod after the delay, or having a modulated delay to get those U2 sounds nailed. Our engineer has the D two in his rack and the chorused delay on that is unbelievable!

I would also like to see the facility to send more than one cc message with one pedal press.

Would it be possible, within a preset to toggle between say two different modulation effects. I like to use the gsystem like a glorified stomp box and this would be very useful. It can be done on the Boss GTpro. Obviously you wouldnt be able to use both fx at once (too much processing) but if the patch can 'recall' settings on say a flanger and a chorus effect then it should be easy enough to switch between the two?
      • November 16, 2007
  • alexj
    Contributor - Level 1
    2007-11-15
    Hi guys,

I've just bought a new pc and was advised that all towers were a standard size, so there wouldn't be problems using my powercore.

it arrived today and surprise surprise, the towers hard disc bay is right in the way.

i may be able to persuade them to swap me a powercore express card, but i'm not sure if that'll fit. does anyone know how long the express card is?

are the old element cards just too big to for towers???

any help would be appreciated
    thanks
    read more...
    0 15,227
    • alexj
      werner Hey Alexj,

i use a Silentmaxx ST-11 Big Tower. This case has enough space for long PCI-Cards and is very silent. Informations here:

http://www.silentmaxx.de/index.php?id=157&ftu=675e0d81c4&L=1

Best regards,

Werner
      • November 15, 2007
    • alexj
      hesnotthemessia

alexj wrote:

are the old element cards just too big to for towers???

I had to cut some holes into the hard disc bay to fit an Element card into one PC but had no problem with an older PC. I think, as cards have got smaller (?) the general size of cases have also decreased. When I, recently, took my PC to a local shop to be repaired, the staff nearly died of shock when they saw the size of my Element.

We might not have spam but I can still lower the tone.........
      • November 15, 2007
    • alexj
      HueJahFink Hey Messiah, where's this music then??

I put in a request for a He's-not Promo months ago....

PS I had to buy a new case for my PCI cards. Was worth it.

My mates think my computer looks rubbish but we know it kiss ass!
      • November 15, 2007
    • alexj
      JamesSteele I'm lucky... I bought an Element card used and fortunately it has no problem fitting in a Mac G5 case. [edited... I put G4, but it meant G5]
      • November 16, 2007
    • alexj
      cowudders just to add to james' post: no problem in a G5 either.
      • November 17, 2007
  • DigitalDisasta
    Contributor - Level 1
    2007-11-15
    OK, so I have been using the K8 for some time now and are getting sick of a lot of the problems that I'm having with my Mac Pro. Here they are:

1. When the audio interface is off, and I goto turn it on and iTunes, is open (but not playing anything) I get kernel panics.

2. When my interface is off, and I open Parallels it opens, the problem is when I try to turn my interface on when parallels is open. I get Kernel panics.

3. Using VMWare Fusion or Parallels, I can't use the K8 as my audio device in any DAW application (FL Studio, Live, Cubase, or anything else). It tells me that I need two open ASIO things, even if I change the sound drivers within OS X.

4. Plugging in a USB flash drive while the K8 is on causes kernel panics no matter what is running.

5. Having my K8 turned on and turning on my Final Scratch causes kernel panics (This is HIGHLY annoying).

6. every once and a while while playing back in iTunes, or Cubase 4, I get audio cuts and drop outs.

Can you guys PLEASE fix some of these issues. I have been using it for a long time trying to deal with them, but its getting to the point where they unbearable.
    read more...
    0 14,221
    • DigitalDisasta
      jpleong Digital Disasta, have you submitted a support request directly to TC?

http://support.tcelectronic.com/anonymous_requests/new

JP
      • November 15, 2007
    • DigitalDisasta
      bashar so far Konnekt is a joke with intel macs, i have all the above problems + I can not even use it to produce any music, I will give TC a month, then I will sell it on ebay and buy RME, at least they are well known for there drivers, TC makes nice hardware and shitty software support, They dont realize how much this is hurting there reputation as a pro audio company, and it never fails to amaze me how fast they come up with new hardware when they cant even get there current ones running properly, its almost 2 years now for intel macs, powercore is still in beta, konnet is dysfunctional, seriously, TC needs to hire more software people, not just make vapourware hardware that runs on crack, Powercore x8 with version 3 software coming next month, and V2.5 is still in alpha............can you piss me off more please?
      • November 15, 2007
    • DigitalDisasta
      locojohn

bashar wrote:

so far Konnekt is a joke with intel macs, i have all the above problems + I can not even use it to produce any music, ... TC needs to hire more software people, not just make vapourware hardware that runs on crack, Powercore x8 with version 3 software coming next month, and V2.5 is still in alpha............can you piss me off more please?

it's not only about intel macs. it's also about windows and unlucky owners of particular brands such as toshiba and such, like me. for some reason or another, M-Audio 410, ESI Quatafire 610, MOTU Ultralite all work reliably well across firewire on this laptop i have, not to mention E-MU 1616m which is rock solid across PCMCIA connection. with the Konnekt 24D i am still having various troubles and God knows when and if they will be ever gone... if i knew it would result in me waiting endlessly for the reliable TC driver update, i would never buy this interface.

-andrejs
      • November 15, 2007
    • DigitalDisasta
      DigitalDisasta Well at least I know it's not just me, which is...good? Damn this really pisses me off, I don't have the money for an other interface at this point, and I need something to work with. Being that these problems are wide spread, I guess I have no choice but to sell it and see what else I can get to replace it. I don't even know how much I can get for the Konnekt 8...this is the last TC Electronic product I will ever buy after reading the last posts of this thread.
      • November 15, 2007
    • DigitalDisasta
      bashar How about we start a thread with daily system crashes caused by konnekt?

here is a fresh one....

Fri Nov 16 01:42:39 2007

panic(cpu 1 caller 0x00427BC7): "getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range 0x119e85000, len 0x1000, class IOGeneralMemoryDescriptor"@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1228.0.2/iokit/Kernel/IOMemoryDescriptor.cpp:1471

Backtrace, Format - Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x6699bb48 : 0x12b0e1 (0x455670 0x6699bb7c 0x133238 0x0)

0x6699bb98 : 0x427bc7 (0x49897c 0x19e85000 0x1 0x1000)

0x6699bc68 : 0x6e381450 (0x927c580 0x1000 0x6699bce8 0x6e38150f)

0x6699bca8 : 0x6e386af5 (0x9383d00 0x93e2ab4 0x1 0x6699bce4)

0x6699bd38 : 0x6e38123b (0x93e0380 0x9383d00 0x6699bd6f 0x0)

0x6699bd88 : 0x6e31dce7 (0x9383d00 0x2 0x0 0xffffffff)

0x6699bde8 : 0x6df1962f (0x93b4c00 0x9be5ca0 0x234 0x2)

0x6699be98 : 0x6df19ec3 (0x7f95a000 0x4 0x7fd6dc34 0xffff)

0x6699bef8 : 0x6df1a1fc (0x7f95a000 0x6df20444 0x6699bf28 0x401699)

0x6699bf28 : 0x41f902 (0x7f95a000 0x90fe480 0x6699bf44 0x13971f)

0x6699bf78 : 0x13e987 (0x90fe480 0x8270a75 0x0 0x3503)

0x6699bfc8 : 0x19e2ec (0x0 0x0 0x1a10b5 0xa5953c0)

Backtrace terminated-invalid frame pointer 0

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

TCNear(3.0.0 build 36)@0x6df10000->0x6df20fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily(3.3.8)@0x6e306000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily(1.6.4b7)@0x6de2c000

com.apple.driver.AppleFWOHCI(3.3.5)@0x6e379000->0x6e397fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4)@0x66a10000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily(3.3.8)@0x6e306000

com.apple.iokit.IOFireWireFamily(3.3.8)@0x6e306000->0x6e344fff

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

9B18

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.1.0: Wed Oct 31 17:46:22 PDT 2007; rootnu-1228.0.2~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacPro1,1 (Mac-F4208DC8)
      • November 15, 2007
  • jpleong
    Contributor - Level 2
    2007-11-15
    Please add signatures with the following information to help streamline troubleshooting:

1) TC Interface (maybe with firmware/driver version?)
    2) Computer make/model/type (ie, laptop/desktop)
    3) Processor, RAM, video card, video RAM, + Operating system, and any related hardware
    4) Software you're using

At the least, this will help ease confusion between mac issues and pc issues.

JP
    read more...
    1 7,817
  • HansHenrik
    Contributor - Level 2
    2007-11-15
    Hej

Does anyone know when the drivers will come for 64-bit vista ? The powercore software is the only that I miss, in 64 bit before I change my DAW to vista 64bit.

Hans Henrik
    0 99,924
    • HansHenrik
      lonestar Seconded!!!!!
      • November 15, 2007
    • HansHenrik
      Purusha Powercore and Virus Ti are the only 2 pieces of the jigsaw I'm missing.
      • November 15, 2007
    • HansHenrik
      DiscoLfo I would take the 32 bit drivers please and thank you.

Just came back to recording after 1 year away and was astonished that TC still doesn't have th 32bit vista driver let alone the 64bit

My MoTU has them and they are solid

HansHenrik wrote:

Hej

Does anyone know when the drivers will come for 64-bit vista ? The powercore software is the only that I miss, in 64 bit before I change my DAW to vista 64bit.

Hans Henrik
      • November 15, 2007
    • HansHenrik
      Purusha According to the v3 thread, we're not even getting Vista 32 bit drivers as part of the new release.

Gah!
      • November 22, 2007
    • HansHenrik
      Purusha I think TC have said they've nearly cracked Vista. The fear is: they're only doing 32 bit drivers, not 64 bit drivers.
      • January 13, 2008
Go to page