Top Solution Authors
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Loss of signal in a DL32

I am not getting enough signal from a couple of microphones I am using as band area mics.   The microphones are SM58s that are plugged into a 16 channel snake, which are then ran into a DL32.  The DL32 then runs to two consoles over ethercon, a Midas M32 at the main mixing position, and a Behrenger x32 at the monitor position. We cannot seem to get enough signal, if I push the gain to full I'll maybe get some distant chattering. 

Is there a way to increase the gain on the band area mics?

Also, is there a way to set phantom power on a DL32?  We have tried but the stagebox doesn't respond to the console.

awanppmc Contributor - Level 1 2019-11-10

2019-11-10

Loss of signal in a DL32

I am not getting enough signal from a couple of microphones I am using as band area mics.   The microphones are SM58s that are plugged into a 16 channel snake, which are then ran into a DL32.  The DL32 then runs to two consoles over ethercon, a Midas M32 at the main mixing position, and a Behrenger x32 at the monitor position. We cannot seem to get enough signal, if I push the gain to full I'll maybe get some distant chattering. 

Is there a way to increase the gain on the band area mics?

Also, is there a way to set phantom power on a DL32?  We have tried but the stagebox doesn't respond to the console.

Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Loss of signal in a DL32

The SM58s aren't fantasic to use as band area mics.  They're not as sensitive as you need them to be, and they have a cardioid pickup pattern.  They're great for a single vocalist, with their mouth 2" away from the mic, not so good at picking up sound from a large area.  You can add 60dB up to 60dB of gain, and then a further 18dB of digital trim, but I don't think it'll work very well.  You'd be better off with a different mic. Even a drum overhead would probably do a better job.

Re +48V, you've said that you're using 2 consoles.  Only one console can control the preamps on the DL32, so make sure you're using the correct console.  Setup>Preamps can be used even if those preamps don't apply to actual channels.