Super Contributor - Level 1

Is the X-Touch Extender really not compatible with an X-Touch and X32core/M32c?

I've purchased an X-Touch and am in the process of researching the possibility of adding an X-Touch Extender for live mixing through an XR18 or M32C and have come accross some reports that it's not actually an extender, per say.  Is the X-Touch Extender REALLY not compatible with an X-Touch and X32core/M32c?  Has this been solved/resolved?

Seems wild that the "extender" wouldn't be recognized by the X-Touch when connected via USB and automattically configured it as an extension of itself, tabing through the channels 16 at a time instead of 8.

What's the real deal? Is this an old issue or something still true and current?

SethUldall Super Contributor - Level 1 2019-07-08

2019-07-08

Is the X-Touch Extender really not compatible with an X-Touch and X32core/M32c?

I've purchased an X-Touch and am in the process of researching the possibility of adding an X-Touch Extender for live mixing through an XR18 or M32C and have come accross some reports that it's not actually an extender, per say.  Is the X-Touch Extender REALLY not compatible with an X-Touch and X32core/M32c?  Has this been solved/resolved?

Seems wild that the "extender" wouldn't be recognized by the X-Touch when connected via USB and automattically configured it as an extension of itself, tabing through the channels 16 at a time instead of 8.

What's the real deal? Is this an old issue or something still true and current?

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Rising Star - Level 2

Re: Is the X-Touch Extender really not compatible with an X-Touch and X32core/M32c?

Hi @SethUldall 

It's still not compatible. I wish I had bought an extra  X-Touch instead of an extender for live use. There are kludges to use an extra intermediate device to "translate" the Extender's output.

View solution in original post

Rising Star - Level 2

Re: Is the X-Touch Extender really not compatible with an X-Touch and X32core/M32c?

Hi @SethUldall 

It's still not compatible. I wish I had bought an extra  X-Touch instead of an extender for live use. There are kludges to use an extra intermediate device to "translate" the Extender's output.

View solution in original post

Thank you Dave.  I really appreciate it.  I hope someone outbids my current bid for one on ebay.  I'm blown away that they market it the way they do.  Waaaay misleading.  "Extender", my rear end!  LOL

I'd much rather see it/them marketed as something without the letter X in it and perhaps numbered.. ie.Touch 1, Touch 2, Touch 3, etc. 

Very frustrating

Thanks again Dave.  Much appreciated. :Thumbsup:

Rising Star - Level 2

@SethUldall 

To be fair, the X-Touch and Extenders are Mackie Control clones—Designed to control DAWs (and they do it well). The X-Touch got the XCTL upgrade (for X32 control), the Extender didn't. But the advertisements are misleadleading. Colored scribble strips imply X32 control is possible; MCU and HUI protocols can't have color.

@DaveMorrison 

I'm not sure that's really fair though.  My impression of the product line from reading the product information pages was that it was intended for use with the "X" products,  XR18, x32, etc.  and that their capability of controlling DAW's was an additional use.  The Behringer page and nearly every retailer says right at the top "Universal X-TOUCH EXTENDER for Studio and Live applications".  Furthermore, it doesn't extend the X-touch.  From what I've read on the matter (admittedly, very little) the Extender needs to be assigned and configured within the DAW to work and is essentially standalone, with or without the use of of an X-Touch.

I apologize Dave. I don't mean for this to sound like I'm arguing with you.  I'm not.  Just letting off a little steam from my frustration in the matter.  I really appreciate you're setting me straight and hopefully I'm able to avoid an unwanted purchase.

From a constructive standpoint, and hopefully someone who can make the change reads this, it would be very helpful if the sales page and pdf brochures for each of the X-Touch products stated their compatability or incompatability with YOUR OWN PRODUCTS.  It's rather obsurd that they all don't work with your own products and equally obsurd that it's not aparant when reading about the product.  A simple mention"compatable with XR18 & X32"  or "Not compatable with XR18 & X32, although these other options are compatable".  

Dave, really, thank you again.  I really do appreciate that you took the time to answer my question.

Dodged a bullet.  Someone outbid me on the Extender.

Whew!

Contributor - Level 1

Just been caught by the same misleading info.

Just wasted a day trying to get them both to work with X32/M32/MR18s.

Doesnt even work as the manual indicates when connected directly to the console on its own in Ethernet mode, although it gives the indication it is trying.

The Connection guide in both the X Touch and X Touch Extender handbooks indicate that they can be connected together with no mention that this cannot then be subsequently connected to a Console.

This is beyond misleading.........It is down right inaccurate!

Rising Star - Level 2

@BaileyRichard 

I agree that the info (especially the product photo) is very misleading.

If you're stuck with a "Paperweight", there are ways to use it if you're willing to connect it to a tablet or computer. I made a few videos showing the possibilities: Extender to X32 using X32-Edit and Extender to X32, M32, XR18, MR18 using MixingStation in HUI mode

Contributor - Level 1

Thanks Dave.

I am trying to get away from having a computer at live gigs. it is just something else that can go missing or indeed go wrong.

Your concept of using the Edit software does appeal in certain circumstances, especially as it allows you to build an effective custom layer for the Extender.

Having been a B Test Engineer for Midas/KT for over 25 years I have been intouch with the factory in Kidderminster. I will probably exchange for another X Touch and sync that up.