Contributor - Level 2

HELP PLEASE> Mixer for my inernet Radio Station

Ok, in a nutshell, I run a busy internet Radio station in the UK. The station has got to the point we are going to start taking live phone calls and my Station provider has told me I need a "MIXER".

So basically I go from a Mobile phone to the mixer to maybe a microphone and or the laptop!. I think. I hope.

What I want to know is which will do the job which to be fair I don't understand. I am just advised I need one.

I need the lowest cost because once I am happy with what I need I have to buy 32! and I need to explain to the other 31 how it all works. Hopefully, you can see my dilemma

Any help and advice would be so appreciated so thank you for all the helpful messages in advance!

This is very new to me so I would really appreciate "WHICH MIXER?" will do the job I need.

I need the cheapest I can get away with. The reason for this is I need 32! 

riggs151 Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-29

2019-11-29

HELP PLEASE> Mixer for my inernet Radio Station

Ok, in a nutshell, I run a busy internet Radio station in the UK. The station has got to the point we are going to start taking live phone calls and my Station provider has told me I need a "MIXER".

So basically I go from a Mobile phone to the mixer to maybe a microphone and or the laptop!. I think. I hope.

What I want to know is which will do the job which to be fair I don't understand. I am just advised I need one.

I need the lowest cost because once I am happy with what I need I have to buy 32! and I need to explain to the other 31 how it all works. Hopefully, you can see my dilemma

Any help and advice would be so appreciated so thank you for all the helpful messages in advance!

This is very new to me so I would really appreciate "WHICH MIXER?" will do the job I need.

I need the cheapest I can get away with. The reason for this is I need 32! 

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Rising Star - Level 3

Re: HELP PLEASE> Mixer for my inernet Radio Station

Hi Richard ( @riggs151 ), 

Welcome to the community.  Can you give us a bit more about how you stream your internest service?  Do you use something like OBS or something else?   It's pretty easy to connect a phone with a 3.5mm jack to a mixer.  The jack is wired TRRS or Tip, Ring, Ring, and Sleeve.  In the case of an iPhone or iPad those are Left, Right, Ground and Microphone.   The other standard is Left, Right, Microphone and Ground. 

Here's a link explaining both: https://help.longtailproducts.com/hc/en-us/articles/207970396-Smartphone-Headset-Standards-Apple-iPh...

All you need is an adapter to convert the TRRS jack to Left/Right In and Microphone out.  I've used an iRig2 in the past with an iPhone and it works well: https://youtu.be/9rqPiXpcd1I

As for a mixer, it depends on the answer to how you are streaming your broadcast.  How are you currently getting your audio into your broastcast system? 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for your reply. Appreciated.

As far as I can answer I have a lot of Presenters. They all use their computers or Laptops.

When it comes to TRRS or Tip or RING I am honest enough to say I have not got a clue what all that means.

I have video from my provider and they use the phrase "its easy" a lot and have it all on a desk to see.

All I see is a load of devices connected by wires (BOOM there we have all my knowledge in one)

All I know is a need a mixer in amongst all this mess. Which one is the one I am after as I need to but so many.

But I know what I am not good at and what I don't know! I am after the lowest cost solution that works!!

Richard

Contributor - Level 2

We currently broadcast simply over the internet. Music is played using an MP3 and to talk we press a big red button and use the Computer or Laptop Microphone. It is incredibly easy. crisp and really works well.

Rising Star - Level 3

@riggs151 

Hi Richard, 

OK. 32 different computers or laptops.  What software do they use to broadcast over the internet?  If you don't know, can you ask whoever set up the computers? 

For taking phone calls, will there be one mobile phone that's always connected and used or will there be 32 different phones as well? 

I'm more than happy to help out, just need a bit more information on your current setup. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

ok. My Presenters broadcast from home. They use their own personal computers or laptops. So they will use their own personal mobiles. Some use their personal numbers and others use Skype to protect their numbers. 

In a nutshell, the internet radio we use allows people to Broadcast from their kitchen table or even their own bed. Some use Microphones to talk but most (Including myself) use the built-in Mike the Laptop or computer has provided.

Its quite a crude method but it simply works and sounds like any other Radio station. We are looking for and have had suggested by my provider (Radio.co) to use the method I am asking about. 

I know a lot of their clients use this method. My problem is I am seeking advice to understand what I am doing and what is my best cheapest option so I can roll it out to the others and look like I know what I am doing.

I have been told most people use the Behringer 802. I was really wondering if there was anything more basic I could use because I have to buy so many?

Rising Star - Level 3

@riggs151 

Hi Richard, 

Wow. You are really in a tough spot.  What you are being asked to do is come up with a solution that works for 32 users that all have different configurations; different computers with different hardware and different OSes, different mobile phones, and even some using Skype.  

Yes, if you are using a phone with an audio jack, the Q802USB will work but you still have the issue of finding the right adapter cables based on IOS vs. Android phones.  If you have users who are using Skype on their computers directly, you don't even need a hardware mixer.  You can use something like VB-Audio VoiceMeeter, assuming they are running Windows. 

There's a lot of variables with your user configurations so I don't think you are going to find a "one size fits all" solution.  There are reasons why IT departments select specific makes and models of desktops and laptops to reduce the number of permutations in configurations.  

I'd suggest you try to determine how many configs you have to deal with so you can scope out the number of possible solutions. 

To specifically address a feature you'll need on any mixer in order to support mixing a mobile phone call, you'll need to have a "Aux" bus with an Aux Send so you can create what is called a "mix minus" going back to the caller.  Otherwise, your caller will get a very annoying echo during the call. 

Ken

Contributor - Level 2

Ken. Thank you so much for your answers and time.

I have 12 Presenter using a Huawei Phone, too (I assume) a Mixer, straight into a Dell Laptop. So I guess my focus has to be here first. Some are going to use Skype but most are going to use their direct number.

So If I am understanding right I need to get the (Cable) connections right. Once I do this I am 12 down, the rest to go? On this basis is there another Mixer i could use?

Rising Star - Level 3

I agree we should focus on those 12 users first since they appear to have a working setup.  Most Huawei phones, at least the ones I've seen, don't have an audio jack, so they use a USB-C to audio adapter.  Shouldn't be a problem as long as we can figure out the wiring for those adapters. Ideally, they'd be the same as an IOS device.  

Can you find out if someone is using a mixer and what they are using?  The Q802USB is by far the most cost effective mixer that has an Aux bus.  Also, can you check to see if the Dell laptops being used have an audio jack that has both in and out or just a headphones out? 

Hang in there. We'll get you going. 

Ken

Contributor - Level 2

Still getting all the information on ports, phones etc. I have not gone Smiley Happy