Re: Product petition: Please, develop an all-in-one solution for podcasters
Contributor - Level 2

Product petition: Please, develop an all-in-one solution for podcasters

Hi!

I've been always fascinated by radio broadcasting. As a teenager I grew up listening to both AM and FM and, of course, I played I was in the middle of a radio show with my humble double cassette stereo and a cheap microphone. All that before the arriving of the internet, of course.

Many years have passed and I've been interested in my hobby even before the booming of podcasting. From time to time I've bought/sold gear in order to keep my hobby alive, a so is how lot of Behringer stuff has passed through my hands, mostly XENYX mixers: 1204USB, X1204USB, QX1622USB, etc. Perhaps I was even one of the first customer in purchasing Behringer's firewire Podscastudio that came out for a long, long time ago.

Nowdays I think that podcasting requieres more specific devices; having cables all around is indeed charming but not practical because you need to focus on the show and nothing else. It's not unusual that podcasters work on regular bases with mixers, external soundcards, MIDI controllers, external recorders and so on... The question arises naturally: why haven't Behringer developed a new product exclusivelly for podcasters yet, even if they have the know-how?

When I browse throughout Behringer's product catalogues, I don't see anything exclusively meant to podcasting, a niche that has grown enormously thanks to Youtube, gaming, and so on. Could it be that hard to match up the versatily of a USB mixer with the flexibility of a pad controller? I'm not even talking about great innovation per se, I'm talking about taking as starting points some of the products Behringer already have. There are other companies that have jumped into podcasting with very good results. There is a huge demand of podcasting solutions but still few companies seem to have understood consumers' need.

I only hope Behringer shortly brings to us a couple of products aiming the podcasting world, otherwise they'll be left behind I think.

Who's with me? Thumb up if you think/feel the same as me.

DinoGordillo Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-19

2019-11-19

Product petition: Please, develop an all-in-one solution for podcasters

Hi!

I've been always fascinated by radio broadcasting. As a teenager I grew up listening to both AM and FM and, of course, I played I was in the middle of a radio show with my humble double cassette stereo and a cheap microphone. All that before the arriving of the internet, of course.

Many years have passed and I've been interested in my hobby even before the booming of podcasting. From time to time I've bought/sold gear in order to keep my hobby alive, a so is how lot of Behringer stuff has passed through my hands, mostly XENYX mixers: 1204USB, X1204USB, QX1622USB, etc. Perhaps I was even one of the first customer in purchasing Behringer's firewire Podscastudio that came out for a long, long time ago.

Nowdays I think that podcasting requieres more specific devices; having cables all around is indeed charming but not practical because you need to focus on the show and nothing else. It's not unusual that podcasters work on regular bases with mixers, external soundcards, MIDI controllers, external recorders and so on... The question arises naturally: why haven't Behringer developed a new product exclusivelly for podcasters yet, even if they have the know-how?

When I browse throughout Behringer's product catalogues, I don't see anything exclusively meant to podcasting, a niche that has grown enormously thanks to Youtube, gaming, and so on. Could it be that hard to match up the versatily of a USB mixer with the flexibility of a pad controller? I'm not even talking about great innovation per se, I'm talking about taking as starting points some of the products Behringer already have. There are other companies that have jumped into podcasting with very good results. There is a huge demand of podcasting solutions but still few companies seem to have understood consumers' need.

I only hope Behringer shortly brings to us a couple of products aiming the podcasting world, otherwise they'll be left behind I think.

Who's with me? Thumb up if you think/feel the same as me.

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Rising Star - Level 3

Hi Dino ( @DinoGordillo ), 

Welcome to the community.  While not specifically targeted at podcasting, it seems the GoXLR from TC-Helicon is pretty close to what you are looking for. 

https://www.tc-helicon.com/broadcast#googtrans(en|en)

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ken,
I've heard about that product but it doesn't satisfy my needs... One XLR input isn't enough. As far as I know, it relays a lot in software... In fact, it seems that targets more likely gamers that make streaming (that's the impression I got right from its appearance) than "real" podcasters. I'm more into podcasting myself or sort of it.

I know other brands that have made it just right but I don't want reveal their name here fir obvious reasons. In order to develop a product that aims the right audience, customers must be heard.

Highlighted
Rising Star - Level 3

Hi Dino, 

It sounds like you may be more inclined to use something like the X18 or XR18 which has everything you need but likely too many channels.  I've helped a few podcasters with customized OSC utilities to help them steamline their workflow.   In one case they wanted to integrate a StreamDeck into their workflow. 

I don't disagree that they may be missing a market for a high feature, low channel count product but I suspect that product would come in very close to the X18 price point. 

Hope this helps,

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. The Behringer X 18 X AIR looks great but as you have mentioned, it has too many channels, it's overkilling. I wouldn't have any problem to use my tablet (this model need a tablet to operate) but I prefer a physical interface, especially when it came to faders and knobs).
The price is not an issue I think because people who spend money in too many gear (mixer, mic preamps, earphone amps, external soundcards, sound pads/mini controllers, external recorders, cables, etc.) at the end of the day spend almost the same (I know from my personal experience) . If someone brings me an all-in-one solution, I have not problem in paying 500 euros or more because is completely worth it. Behringer has not nailed down yet the podcast thing and that's the point I was trying to make. Some mixers (thinking in UFX1204) seems to be perfect for the job, I'm not discussing that, I'm saying that sooner or later you'll need of other things too in irder to set up a proper podcast studio. I also understand that some people don't need too much anyways but other that me do beed more flexibility and control over the final product, especially if is live.