Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Setting up for live broadcasting

Hello all!!

I am wanting to do live streaming over Facebook and whatever other platform might strike me at some point in time but I’m hitting a wall. 

I have the following gear;

Midas MR18 mixer 

USB to lightening adapter for an iOS device. 

Proper usb cable from the mixer. 

I have an iPad up to date. 

An iPhone 6S Plus

A Windows based PC if needed. 

Plenty of mics and assorted cables. 

But man, I am at a loss as to how to get this to work. Not sure where to start. Not sure what I’m missing, if anything. 

I can record to GarageBand. I just got into that very recently but I am able to hear and record audio from my Midas to GarageBand on my iPad. 

As for good audio on my video, I am having no luck. 

I have been combing the web and many other sources for three days trying to find the info that might clear things up for me but I am just kind of at a loss as to, considering what I already have, what I might still need or may be doing wrong. 

Seems like I might be close, considering I can hear everything in GarageBand. No audio at all if I record a video on the camera app. I’m sure broadcasting would be silent as well.  

I know I’m a noob and everyone is very busy. This seems like the best place to ask. I hope you all don’t mind. I appreciate any help.

Carrying on with my quarantining. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks guys.

CecilD513 Contributor - Level 3 2020-04-25

2020-04-25

Setting up for live broadcasting

Hello all!!

I am wanting to do live streaming over Facebook and whatever other platform might strike me at some point in time but I’m hitting a wall. 

I have the following gear;

Midas MR18 mixer 

USB to lightening adapter for an iOS device. 

Proper usb cable from the mixer. 

I have an iPad up to date. 

An iPhone 6S Plus

A Windows based PC if needed. 

Plenty of mics and assorted cables. 

But man, I am at a loss as to how to get this to work. Not sure where to start. Not sure what I’m missing, if anything. 

I can record to GarageBand. I just got into that very recently but I am able to hear and record audio from my Midas to GarageBand on my iPad. 

As for good audio on my video, I am having no luck. 

I have been combing the web and many other sources for three days trying to find the info that might clear things up for me but I am just kind of at a loss as to, considering what I already have, what I might still need or may be doing wrong. 

Seems like I might be close, considering I can hear everything in GarageBand. No audio at all if I record a video on the camera app. I’m sure broadcasting would be silent as well.  

I know I’m a noob and everyone is very busy. This seems like the best place to ask. I hope you all don’t mind. I appreciate any help.

Carrying on with my quarantining. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thanks guys.

• 0 Kudos
  • 31 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: Setting up for live broadcasting

@CecilD513 wrote:

@RexBeckett  what can you make of this? Besides a broach or a hat?

This is my current scene.

@CecilD513 

I have changed the routing so the Main mix is sent to the XLR outputs as well as USB Sends 1/2. USB Returns 1/2 (from the PC) are routed to the Aux channel. ... and don't call me Shirley!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@CecilD513 

Hello Cecil, welcome to the community.

Well it sounds as though you already have most of the hardware you may need. I don't know if we can advise on which platform you should use but, when you have decided, we should be able to help you get the audio working.

The choice may depend on the camera facilities of your devices. iPhones and iPads often have better cameras than laptop webcams. That is not a hard rule, though. I participate in a regular Zoom meeting using a mixture of laptops, tablets and phones. The laptop webcams almost always show better images than the tablets and phones. This could be down to them having more powerful processors rather than the raw pixel-count of the cameras.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Hey Rex! 

Thank you for the welcome and reply! 

My thought was doing everything from the iPad and if a separate device was needed I would use the iPhone as the camera.

Do I need a "platform"? For now, I would either be on Facebook or YouTube. Don't know about things like ustream or boxcast. 

I have only used some of this gear for mixing live music. I am super-dee-duper new to this setup. The only broadcasting I've ever done is just with the front facing camera off the cuff. I'd really like to change that and setup for better quality.

I appreciate your patience and any info. I am a total square one. 

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@CecilD513 wrote:

Hey Rex! 

Thank you for the welcome and reply! 

My thought was doing everything from the iPad and if a separate device was needed I would use the iPhone as the camera.

Do I need a "platform"? For now, I would either be on Facebook or YouTube. Don't know about things like ustream or boxcast. 

I have only used some of this gear for mixing live music. I am super-dee-duper new to this setup. The only broadcasting I've ever done is just with the front facing camera off the cuff. I'd really like to change that and setup for better quality.

I appreciate your patience and any info. I am a total square one. 

@CecilD513 

I know next to nothing about broadcasting apps for iDevices. What I have gleaned is that you can connect an XR18 to an iPad through an Apple Camera Connection kit. Some apps may allow the audio input to be selected from the 18 possible USB channels from the XR18 but it is probably safer to route your required mix (Main LR or a linked pair of buses) to USB Sends 1/2. I can certainly help you with this part of the puzzle.

This is much easier to do if you post your current scene but it would have to be saved using XAir Edit running on a PC/Mac. The iOS app for the XR18 does not save scenes in a way that makes them easy to share.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

I'll do what I can to get that. 
If I could get audio to a video I'd feel like I was getting closer to business. Anytime I record a video the sound icon is grayed out and there is no sound on playback. 

Not sure what's missing. I'd like to cross that bridge before even worrying about streaming. 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I use my Xair18 with a Windows PC. Software is free OBS and it will stream to Facebook ,Youtube, and other platforms. I use a couple Logitech webcams since I'm on a desktop. I set usb send 1 and 2 to my main left and right on the xair. Select xair as audio device on OBS. On OBS you can create scenes and select your camera, create a title page etc. Works and sounds great. You can stream live or just record the video to your computer.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Hey! 
Thank you for the reply Allrwin. 🤗

Can this work with an iPhone 6S Plus as the camera? Also, will I need some kind of better than average sound card? 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

So, I have an update. 

Got my iPhone 6S Plus to work as the cam using the OBS Camera for iOS app. Works great. 

Connected my Midas board and did not see it as selectable in OBS but it DID show in device manager as MR18 but had the yellow caution icon and was not working properly. 

Checked around online and found a driver for the MR18 (version 4.59). Installed that, it said to disconnect and reconnect. I did that and sure as hell, it worked like a charm. Recorded a short vid with guitar and vocals and it came in clean with synched video. 

Had some pretty bad lag. Went to the web and found a few suggested settings to alleviate that. Made those changes and it did seem to resolve the lag issue but now, the Midas board is no longer showing as MR18 in device manager. It comes in as an unknown usb device and reinstalling the previously mentioned driver doesn't work. 

I get a message that the driver installation failed and "one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned" error message and I can no longer select "USB 1&2" I think it was, for the audio input capture. 

I've been at it for hours and I'm hangin it up for tonight. 

Any hell would be appreciated. 

Thank you all. 

Goodnight! 

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@CecilD513 wrote:

Had some pretty bad lag. Went to the web and found a few suggested settings to alleviate that. Made those changes and it did seem to resolve the lag issue but now, the Midas board is no longer showing as MR18 in device manager. It comes in as an unknown usb device and reinstalling the previously mentioned driver doesn't work. 

@CecilD513 

How frustrating after it was working. What were the changes that you made just before it stopped working?

Try a different USB cable. Also try using a different USB port (preferably USB 2.0) on your PC.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Good morning. 
Yes, very frustrating. 
I quit for the night after that messsge. 

I've tried different ports but not a different cable. Don't think it's the cable at all but I'll try that. It's not been an issue through this adventure of a setup. 

The only thing I can recall changing were a couple things on the iPhone that serves as the camera. I was having some lag. That's all I can think of.