Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

UMD1820 Setup question

Hi,

I am building an Internet Radio Station using the UMD1820 as the sound card USB connected to a Windows 10 PC. The components are as follows:

Windows 10PC, Arrakis Broadcast Console, PlayoutONE Automation Software.

I connected the UMD to the PC via the USB. Then took the pairs of Line outs 3-8 and connected them in Stereo pairs to the Arrakis Console. I setup those devices in the PlayoutONE software settings so that the players use those devices. Therefore, I now have 3 stereo channels on the board for the automation to use. This works well, however, I would like to be able to reduce the gain on the output of the sound card. This would give me more fader room on the Arrakis Console.

Here is my question:

1. Can I control the output of the UMD to lower the output to be able to get more head room on the console pots? None of the front controls do anything in this mode, Is there anything I can do to lower the output of the sound card?

Rob Alfano
RobLI57 Contributor - Level 1 2020-04-24

2020-04-24

UMD1820 Setup question

Hi,

I am building an Internet Radio Station using the UMD1820 as the sound card USB connected to a Windows 10 PC. The components are as follows:

Windows 10PC, Arrakis Broadcast Console, PlayoutONE Automation Software.

I connected the UMD to the PC via the USB. Then took the pairs of Line outs 3-8 and connected them in Stereo pairs to the Arrakis Console. I setup those devices in the PlayoutONE software settings so that the players use those devices. Therefore, I now have 3 stereo channels on the board for the automation to use. This works well, however, I would like to be able to reduce the gain on the output of the sound card. This would give me more fader room on the Arrakis Console.

Here is my question:

1. Can I control the output of the UMD to lower the output to be able to get more head room on the console pots? None of the front controls do anything in this mode, Is there anything I can do to lower the output of the sound card?

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: UMD1820 Setup question

@RobLI57 

Hello Robert, welcome to the community.

The UMC1820 does not have any hardware level controls for outputs 3-10. Most software media players have output level controls, though. Doesn't the console have gain controls for the inputs?  If not, you could use in-line attenuators to adjust the level e.g. MPD Inline Attenuator.