Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Using a Behringer UMC404 in a broadcast setting

Hello everyone,

I run an online radio station. I use a program called Station playlist, which handles broadcast automation, and has a feature that allows me to select a sound device as a microphone. However, with the current drivers for UMC404, Windows sees two inputs instead of one. That means that, unfortunately I can only use channels 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, but since there is only the ability to define one sound card as mic, all four channels are not available to me. In the UMC control panel, I was able to set the output to 16 bit, which made Windows recognize 1 usb device for output, but in said control panel, the option to change input is dimmed and thus unable to be modified. I am currently using driver version 4.59, but have also tried 3.29, but it didn't work as expected.

I really need to be able to have all four channels available, and as long as it shows the two inputs, that isn't going to be possible.

Any idea on a fix for this? I can imagine that for music production, the current setup is ideal, but for what I am doing, it just won't allow me to use the full potential of the interface.

Unfortunately Station Playlist doesn't have an option to switch between wdm or asio. So, whatever setting is changed, it will have to be done in Windows sound config, UMC control panel, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Justin

justin171185 Contributor - Level 1 2020-01-28

2020-01-28

Using a Behringer UMC404 in a broadcast setting

Hello everyone,

I run an online radio station. I use a program called Station playlist, which handles broadcast automation, and has a feature that allows me to select a sound device as a microphone. However, with the current drivers for UMC404, Windows sees two inputs instead of one. That means that, unfortunately I can only use channels 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, but since there is only the ability to define one sound card as mic, all four channels are not available to me. In the UMC control panel, I was able to set the output to 16 bit, which made Windows recognize 1 usb device for output, but in said control panel, the option to change input is dimmed and thus unable to be modified. I am currently using driver version 4.59, but have also tried 3.29, but it didn't work as expected.

I really need to be able to have all four channels available, and as long as it shows the two inputs, that isn't going to be possible.

Any idea on a fix for this? I can imagine that for music production, the current setup is ideal, but for what I am doing, it just won't allow me to use the full potential of the interface.

Unfortunately Station Playlist doesn't have an option to switch between wdm or asio. So, whatever setting is changed, it will have to be done in Windows sound config, UMC control panel, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Justin

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: Using a Behringer UMC404 in a broadcast setting

Hi Justin ( @justin171185 ), 

Welcome to the community.  Windows system audio only allows you to access two inputs at a time.  In order to access all four inputs on the 404HD, you need to use the ASIO driver.   Take a look at the VB Audio products at https://www.vb-audio.com/.  They have a software mixer that allows you to bring in ASIO sources and then output them to a "Virtual" Windows audio sound device that would be compatible with your playlist software.   If you can post a link to your playlist software, I can probably help you get vb-audio mixer configured for the 404HD and the software. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Hi there,

You can check out stationplaylist.com

I think I can do the config on the Station Playlist end, but may need some help actually installing the mixer you speak of. I have their vb cables which work great, but I had to have sighted assistance for the install. Something about the way their installer was done where controls were not accessible in the tab order thus I couldn't get to the install button with a screen reader. Perhaps we could do a teamviewer session or something like that?

What is the name of the software you speak of? They have lots of stuff on their site.

Rock Star - Level 2

@justin171185 

Hi Justin, 

Sorry for the delayed reply.   Any of the Voicemeeter products should be able to do what you need. I have to say that I don't personally use them, but I've heard of others using it for this purpose. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver