Contributor - Level 2

Windows 7 Driver problem

Hello, We have bought 3 u-phoria umc1820 units to use in broadcast. The very first one ran into a driver problem. Per the instructions, we downloaded UMC_Driver_v3.29.0_Win7to10 an installed it. The audio is unusable, due to being overlaid with scratches and clicks, similar to static on a radio. We looked it up and some people in forums suggested increasing buffers but to no svsil. To ensure the hardware is good, we installed UMC_Driver_v2.29.0_WinXP+Vista ontp an XP computer and confirmed faultless operation. Switching back to Win7 and Driver_v3.29.0_Win7to10 brought back the problem. Can you advise what is happening and suggest remediation? Thanks, MichaelF
SliverCoder Contributor - Level 2 2019-10-21

2019-10-21

Windows 7 Driver problem

Hello, We have bought 3 u-phoria umc1820 units to use in broadcast. The very first one ran into a driver problem. Per the instructions, we downloaded UMC_Driver_v3.29.0_Win7to10 an installed it. The audio is unusable, due to being overlaid with scratches and clicks, similar to static on a radio. We looked it up and some people in forums suggested increasing buffers but to no svsil. To ensure the hardware is good, we installed UMC_Driver_v2.29.0_WinXP+Vista ontp an XP computer and confirmed faultless operation. Switching back to Win7 and Driver_v3.29.0_Win7to10 brought back the problem. Can you advise what is happening and suggest remediation? Thanks, MichaelF

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Re: Windows 7 Driver problem

Hi Michael ( @SliverCoder ), 

Welcome to the community. I'm not even sure where you found 3.29 on the website.  The latest drivers that support Win7to10 are 4.59 and are here: https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/UMC1820/p/P0B2J/Downloads#g...

Scratches, click, and pops are usually indicators of buffering problems, either overruns or underruns.  On the Win7 system are you plugging directly into the computer or are you connecting through a hub.  It's recommended to use direct connect.  

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ken, Thank you for your prompt response. I am always wary when support is delegated to a forum, there to languish until the person goes away rather than the problem being solved. Your response is encouraging. First Driver versions: apologies, there are several typos in the first message - I had low confidence of even getting a response. To explain - I am on site at a far-away location and am trying to either get these units to work or abandon them for something that will. Time is tight. I am anxious to use them if at all possible because the perfect sound in XP is why they were selected. The drivers used all came from the page you referenced and, for clarity, it's the WDM version we're using, not ASIO. The XP version tested was the 2.29.0 version, (not 3.29 as stated). UMC Driver 4.59.0 (for Windows 7 to 10), Windows Driver 4.38 and UMC Driver 2.29.0 for Windows XP + Vista were all tried, with full uninstallation prior to each new attempt. Yes, it is connected direct to the USB port by the factory-supplied cable in both cases. The 2.29 driver was tested on an early Neolithic XP machine with USB2.0 only and with an active USB NIC in the slot next to the audio card. >Scratches, click, and pops are usually indicators of buffering problems, either overruns or underruns< Agreed, but the sound of this is neither the 'gappy' nor 'jumpy' sound that one gets in such cases. Its nature is a crackling 'static' type of addition to otherwise good audio. It is largely random in incidence: it occurs during slience as well as in content. It does occur more at increasing amplitude which led me to cross-check, suspecting a faulty D-A converter in the unit under test. Perfect rendering in XP ruled that out. Thank you for your quick response and thank you also for your kind words of welcome. MJF
Valued Contributor - Level 2

Hi Michael ( @SliverCoder ), 

OK.  Good to know you have tried the latest driver. To be honest I know next to nothing about Windows 7 and even less about WDM audio.  

@Paul_Vannatto , You are a long time Win7 user.  Can you assist with this? 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Volunteer Moderator

@KenMitchell wrote:

@Paul_Vannatto , You are a long time Win7 user.  Can you assist with this? 

Yes I am a Win7 and will stay with it as long as I can. But I never use the WDM drivers for multi-tracking. I only use the respective ASIO drivers.

@SliverCoder is there any reason why you are not using the ASIO drivers?

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!
Contributor - Level 2

@KenMitchell : thanks for your efforts. Appreciated. @Paul_Vannatto >Yes I am a Win7 and will stay with it as long as I can< Ditto - just for XP. It has always and still works better, however limited. >But I never use the WDM drivers for multi-tracking< I have done for many years, but this issue does not relate to multi- tracking: it happens on a single, independent channel. > is there any reason why you are not using the ASIO drivers?< Yes, there is. But the issue is that the units I want to use don't work properly on my intended operating system Win7 64-bit using the published driver. Windows 10 is not even considered because of the totally unpredictable mayhem that each next patch will bring. When I rang the Behringer support number, they referred me to a forum. I had hoped that product management would have some input here. Thank you both for your help. Is there any way to get help from the driver writers or others with WDM expertise to help me fix this please or should I just bundle these three units up, send them back and get something else do you think? As I mentioned, I don't have any time on this. MJF
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi @Paul_Vannatto and @KenMitchell Just coming back to close this out for the benefit of others in the future. The motherboard in question is a BioStar H310MHC2 with a Core i5-8400@2.8 GHz Operating System is Windows 7 64-bit. First, I disabled the HD audio in the BIOS - I don't need it. Then, in the Advanced>USB Configuration, XHCI Hand-Off I changed from disabled to Enabled. After that I made sure that the USB was plugged in to a USB 3.0 connector (blue innards) and a system reset allowed me to uninstall the HD audio driver from Windows leaving just the Behringer behind. Another quick reset and it came back with the audio working perfectly in WDM mode. Thanks bothfor your interest in this; it's a shame the support team is notable by its absence. MJF