Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Xenyx X1204usb

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help.  Just got the Behringer X1204usb desk and wanted to connect 2 passive spekers; are the 'control room' jack sockets at the back any good for this or are there any other sockets on the top/front panel ? Many thanks for your help. Malcolm.

M. Goy
Malc Contributor - Level 2 2020-05-02

2020-05-02

Xenyx X1204usb

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help.  Just got the Behringer X1204usb desk and wanted to connect 2 passive spekers; are the 'control room' jack sockets at the back any good for this or are there any other sockets on the top/front panel ? Many thanks for your help. Malcolm.

• 0 Kudos
  • 13 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: Xenyx X1204usb

@Malc 

Hello Malcolm, welcome to the community.

None of the outputs on the X1204USB mixer will drive passive speakers. You will need to use active monitor speakers or a separate power amplifier with passive speakers.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@Malc wrote:

Hi Rex, thanks for your welcome and many thanks for your answer. Yes I did a bit of research after my post and came to that conclsion. What teminals do you suggest I connect to on the desk; I will probably get a set of powered speakers as monitors ? Once again thank you. Malcolm

@Malc 

I would use the Control Room outputs. This allows you to hear either the mixer's Main mix or playback/record monitoring from USB playback with the 2-TR/USB To Phones/CTRL RM button.

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@Malc wrote:

Hi Rex, I did change over the jack plugs on the back control room sockets to see if the L - R speakers switched but they didn't, and the speakers are powered and work fine on my desktop computer. Malcolm.

@Malc 

If swapping the L and R connectors on the Control Room sockets does not change what you hear from your speakers, I don't think the dual mono to stereo adapter is working correctly. Make sure the stereo plugs are both inserted completely.

It may be better to get a single cable like this. 

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@Malc wrote:

Hi Rex, Firstly I hope you are well and safe.  You are a genius as your suggestion to get a single connector has worked, both speakers are workng fine.  I got another connector like the one you showed me so it must have been a faulty connector on my first set. Once again Rex THANK YOU for all your help, I'm very much obliged. Malcolm.        PS...do you live in the UK?

@Malc 

I'm glad it is working now, Malc. Yes I do live in the UK. I'm in the sleepy little town of Bedford and staying out of trouble so far. Where are you? 

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@Malc 

Hello Malcolm, welcome to the community.

None of the outputs on the X1204USB mixer will drive passive speakers. You will need to use active monitor speakers or a separate power amplifier with passive speakers.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Rex, thanks for your welcome and many thanks for your answer. Yes I did a bit of research after my post and came to that conclsion. What teminals do you suggest I connect to on the desk; I will probably get a set of powered speakers as monitors ? Once again thank you. Malcolm

M. Goy
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@Malc wrote:

@Malc 

I would use the Control Room outputs. This allows you to hear either the mixer's Main mix or playback/record monitoring from USB playback with the 2-TR/USB To Phones/CTRL RM button.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi rex, Brilliant... thank you very much you have been so helpful.

Once again many thanks.  Malcolm

M. Goy
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Rex, hope you are well and safe.  I got a set of adapter pulgs to convert the 3.5mm speakers (powered) plug to 6.3mm jack plugs and put them in the control room out jacks on the back (red left and white right). It works but only properly on the left speaker and just a trickle of sound coming out of the right speaker; I changed over the jack plugs, to check the plugs, but the same problem.  Do you think the Desk has a faulty right hand channel socket ?  I have tried to get in touch with Behringer's technical guys but I might have a better chance getting in touch with Donald Trump.  Any chance you any ideas ?  Much appreciated, Thanks... Malcolm

M. Goy
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@Malc wrote:

Hi Rex, hope you are well and safe.  I got a set of adapter pulgs to convert the 3.5mm speakers (powered) plug to 6.3mm jack plugs and put them in the control room out jacks on the back (red left and white right). It works but only properly on the left speaker and just a trickle of sound coming out of the right speaker; I changed over the jack plugs, to check the plugs, but the same problem.  Do you think the Desk has a faulty right hand channel socket ?  I have tried to get in touch with Behringer's technical guys but I might have a better chance getting in touch with Donald Trump.  Any chance you any ideas ?  Much appreciated, Thanks... Malcolm

@Malc 

Is your cable like this one with two 6.35mm plugs? If not, can you show me a link to what you have?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Rex, firstly thank you for your help.  I have a cable with 2 x 6.3mm jacks to a 6.3mm jack female see this..  Then I have a 6.3mm jack plug to a 3.5mm female adapter. see this  The speaker cable is a 3.5mm jack with three contacts,  Thanks Rex, Malcolm

M. Goy
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Rex, I did change over the jack plugs on the back control room sockets to see if the L - R speakers switched but they didn't, and the speakers are powered and work fine on my desktop computer. Malcolm.

M. Goy
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@Malc wrote:

@Malc 

If swapping the L and R connectors on the Control Room sockets does not change what you hear from your speakers, I don't think the dual mono to stereo adapter is working correctly. Make sure the stereo plugs are both inserted completely.

It may be better to get a single cable like this.