Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

X32 Producer Setup for Live Video Production with Sound Reinforcement

Hello all.

I work for a local government in Florida. We recently replaced an old analog 16 input Mackie mixer with a Behringer X32 Producer. I am the primary audio mixer for our more complex productions. I am also an "old dog" trying to learn "new tricks" with the new console! One of the biggest challenges I am having is the lack of direct line of site (and touch) of output controls. Also, the analog mixer had physical auxilliary outputs which I used a lot for our needs.

We use our field audio rig for multiple uses. The two highest uses are: 1.) simple sound reinforcement for speaches and vocal performace with backing track, and 2.) multicamera livestream, cablecast or live-to-tape recordings of events, conferences, etc. For the more complex video productions, that include the need for live sound reinforcement, my setup with the Mackie was to use the L+R outputs for our video feed/recording and use auxilliary ouputs for FOH and monitor feeds, typically by using and aux bus pre-fader.

It is my understanding that the X32 Producer has 8 outputs. By factory default, outputs 7 and 8 are L + R OUT. These I would send to our video feed. I've been using outputs 1 and 2 to feed our QSC loudspeakers for sound reinforcement. However, I'm not certain I am using the best workflow for handling the mix going to these feeds. For the L + R output I need to be able to send a controlled constant gain mix. This same mix doesn't necessarily work in the FOH mix. The need to have mics available to FOH while muted to the program feed and feedback suppression are examples why I need seperate mixes for the program feed and the FOH feed.

This is my first experience with digital mixers and I'm a bit lost when it comes to managing multiple mix buses and outputs. Can anyone suggest a mixer setup for the X32 Producer that allows for L + R OUT to be committed solely for the video feed and using other outputs to feed FOH and stage monitors.

I apologize if I didn't explain this clearly. I'll monitor this thread and respond to any questions for clarification. I am leaving a couple links below of examples of the types of productions we do.

Scenario 1: 16x microphones, 4x wedges for dignitaries, 4x loudspeakers for audience.

Scenario 2: 2x microphones for speach, 2x microphones for choir, 4x loudspeakers for audience.

Thanks in advance.

Gear: Behringer X32 Producer | Behringer SD-16 Stage Box | QSC K10.2 Loudspeakers (4x)
ringobonham Contributor - Level 1 2020-01-22

2020-01-22

X32 Producer Setup for Live Video Production with Sound Reinforcement

Hello all.

I work for a local government in Florida. We recently replaced an old analog 16 input Mackie mixer with a Behringer X32 Producer. I am the primary audio mixer for our more complex productions. I am also an "old dog" trying to learn "new tricks" with the new console! One of the biggest challenges I am having is the lack of direct line of site (and touch) of output controls. Also, the analog mixer had physical auxilliary outputs which I used a lot for our needs.

We use our field audio rig for multiple uses. The two highest uses are: 1.) simple sound reinforcement for speaches and vocal performace with backing track, and 2.) multicamera livestream, cablecast or live-to-tape recordings of events, conferences, etc. For the more complex video productions, that include the need for live sound reinforcement, my setup with the Mackie was to use the L+R outputs for our video feed/recording and use auxilliary ouputs for FOH and monitor feeds, typically by using and aux bus pre-fader.

It is my understanding that the X32 Producer has 8 outputs. By factory default, outputs 7 and 8 are L + R OUT. These I would send to our video feed. I've been using outputs 1 and 2 to feed our QSC loudspeakers for sound reinforcement. However, I'm not certain I am using the best workflow for handling the mix going to these feeds. For the L + R output I need to be able to send a controlled constant gain mix. This same mix doesn't necessarily work in the FOH mix. The need to have mics available to FOH while muted to the program feed and feedback suppression are examples why I need seperate mixes for the program feed and the FOH feed.

This is my first experience with digital mixers and I'm a bit lost when it comes to managing multiple mix buses and outputs. Can anyone suggest a mixer setup for the X32 Producer that allows for L + R OUT to be committed solely for the video feed and using other outputs to feed FOH and stage monitors.

I apologize if I didn't explain this clearly. I'll monitor this thread and respond to any questions for clarification. I am leaving a couple links below of examples of the types of productions we do.

Scenario 1: 16x microphones, 4x wedges for dignitaries, 4x loudspeakers for audience.

Scenario 2: 2x microphones for speach, 2x microphones for choir, 4x loudspeakers for audience.

Thanks in advance.

• 0 Kudos
  • 0 Replies