Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

X32 + DCX2496 cinema setup help

hello.

I am fairly new to this idea so if there is anyone that can help then great.

I am getting a x32 setup, with the DCX2496, 2 front of house, 2 rear (1 amp) and 2 subs (1 amp). I also have coming a projector with a audio de-embedder that i was going to connect to the AUX of the X32, and somehow have surround sound come out of the speakers. 

Can someone point me in the right direction of a setup.

I am going to assume; 

• SPDIF from audio de embedder, into the AUX 5 or 6 of the X32
  • split into front / rear / mono sub channels (is this possible?!)
  • go into DCX2496 and out to the speakers (Do I need 2 of these to split into front and rear, so use more outputs on the X32 into the DCX?)

I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance

andyh-86 Contributor - Level 1 2020-03-16

2020-03-16

X32 + DCX2496 cinema setup help

hello.

I am fairly new to this idea so if there is anyone that can help then great.

I am getting a x32 setup, with the DCX2496, 2 front of house, 2 rear (1 amp) and 2 subs (1 amp). I also have coming a projector with a audio de-embedder that i was going to connect to the AUX of the X32, and somehow have surround sound come out of the speakers. 

Can someone point me in the right direction of a setup.

I am going to assume; 

• SPDIF from audio de embedder, into the AUX 5 or 6 of the X32
  • split into front / rear / mono sub channels (is this possible?!)
  • go into DCX2496 and out to the speakers (Do I need 2 of these to split into front and rear, so use more outputs on the X32 into the DCX?)

I hope this makes sense, and thanks in advance

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: X32 + DCX2496 cinema setup help

@andyh-86 

Hello Andy, welcome to the community.

There is an example configuration for a 5.1 sound system in the DCX2496 User Manual (section 6.12). I think you will need two DCX2496 units.

If your de-embedded sound source is digital encoded surround (e.g. AC3), you will need a surround decoder to convert this to multiple analogue channel outputs. All the inputs on an X32 (XLR and Aux) are analogue so will not work with any SPDIF signal without appropriate converters. You would also need an external converter if the sound feed is ProLogic encoded (LCRS) as the X32 does not have a decoder for this.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you for your help, I have been racking my brains for this for days now, trying to get a simple enough setup for people to use. Can I put an idea to the tribe....

I want to run the HDMI sources through a 5.1/7.1 denon preamp which has xlr and phono outputs.can I;

• take the outputs I want into the X32 inputs
  • Use the internal preset of the DCX2496 to create a surround sound for front and rear left and right speakers (into amplifiers and passive speakers)
  • use a sub channel on the X32 to go straight to the active subs
  • centre channel to go to active floor monitors - this should makup the 5.1 surround setup that has been decoded from the denon preamp.

this way (in my head), i can use the DCX setup for normal live music and theatre, as the monitor can be changed to do its job in those settings, so therefore there would be minimal change. Infact using sound sources for theatre maybe good to have in surround for a more immersive experience.

Does anyone think this would work, or have I just made something completely up! 

Superhero - Level 3

@andyh-86 wrote:

Thank you for your help, I have been racking my brains for this for days now, trying to get a simple enough setup for people to use. Can I put an idea to the tribe....

I want to run the HDMI sources through a 5.1/7.1 denon preamp which has xlr and phono outputs.can I;

• take the outputs I want into the X32 inputs
  • Use the internal preset of the DCX2496 to create a surround sound for front and rear left and right speakers (into amplifiers and passive speakers)
  • use a sub channel on the X32 to go straight to the active subs
  • centre channel to go to active floor monitors - this should makup the 5.1 surround setup that has been decoded from the denon preamp.

this way (in my head), i can use the DCX setup for normal live music and theatre, as the monitor can be changed to do its job in those settings, so therefore there would be minimal change. Infact using sound sources for theatre maybe good to have in surround for a more immersive experience.

Does anyone think this would work, or have I just made something completely up! 

@andyh-86 

I'm with you as far as using a Denon 5.1 decoder to feed six analogue channels on the X32.

I don't follow your use of the DCX2496. This is a loudspeaker processor normally used to provide crossover filters, delays and limiters for multi-way speaker systems. I don't see how it adds much over the X32 for a multi-channel sound system.

I'm not sure that active floor monitors will make good speakers for the centre channel. They would normally be pointing the wrong way and spread out. Ideally centre speakers should be behind and in the middle of a perforated screen. If the screen is small you may be better feeding the centre equally to left and right (phantom centre).

I think that the best way to keep the system simple to operate is to run every sound channel directly from the X32. That way you can change it for different uses by loading the appropriate scene. If your main left and right channels are bi-amped or tri-amped, the DCX2496 could handle that duty. Otherwise I'm not sure it justifies the additional complexity.