Contributor - Level 2

Can I get surround speaker fill from my Behringer UMC 204HD audio interface?

Hi guys,

For  years I've used my computer's onboard soundcard, but as I've just picked up a midi keyboard, and I wanted really low latency, I needed something with an ASIO driver. So I got a Behringer 204HD. And for that purpose - it works great. I have my keyboard plugged in via MIDI and I am using 8 samples so I get 1ms latency, it's a dream.

However, obviously using the UMC Asio drivers my speakers can't work unless I plug them directly into my audio interface instead of my soundcard.

As it is, I use a 5.1 speaker system that I'm pretty attached to. Normally, I plugged it via the sub into my PC with realtek onboard drivers with two 3.5mm jacks, green and black (it also has an orange one for centre speaker but I'm not precious about it, I doubt there is a scenario where that is going to work). Then the 4 tweeters plug in via RCA ports on the back of the speaker. I then use Realtek's surround fill to get my music to play from all the tweeters instead of just stereo.

Now I have moved everything over to the interface. So I got adaptors that convert the 3.5mm jacks to 1/4" jacks and I plugged them into the Main Output sockets on the back of the 204HD.

Then in Windows when I'm not in my DAW and simply using MME for standard operation, listening to music etc, I have my default playback device set to the 204HD's OUT 1-2, which as I understand it outputs through the two output ports and 2 of the RCA playback output ports too. I then have turned on Virtual Surround in the Enhancements.

However, it only plays through tweeters 1 and 2 (even if I do a surround test). Now, this makes sense to me in a way, I only have 2 jacks so why should 5 speakers work? However, it has always been plugged into my computer by the same two wires before and I could always get 5 speaker audio before.

I know that I could get two more monitor speakers with their own power supplies and plug them into the RCA ports to get more speakers running, but I can't do that with the tweeters because obvs they are powered from the main box and nothing would amplify the signal.

Is this a lost cause or is there a way for me to, as before, plug all my tweeters into my sub and have them output despite the sound running through the Behringer?

Alexrose Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-14

2019-08-14

Can I get surround speaker fill from my Behringer UMC 204HD audio interface?

Hi guys,

For  years I've used my computer's onboard soundcard, but as I've just picked up a midi keyboard, and I wanted really low latency, I needed something with an ASIO driver. So I got a Behringer 204HD. And for that purpose - it works great. I have my keyboard plugged in via MIDI and I am using 8 samples so I get 1ms latency, it's a dream.

However, obviously using the UMC Asio drivers my speakers can't work unless I plug them directly into my audio interface instead of my soundcard.

As it is, I use a 5.1 speaker system that I'm pretty attached to. Normally, I plugged it via the sub into my PC with realtek onboard drivers with two 3.5mm jacks, green and black (it also has an orange one for centre speaker but I'm not precious about it, I doubt there is a scenario where that is going to work). Then the 4 tweeters plug in via RCA ports on the back of the speaker. I then use Realtek's surround fill to get my music to play from all the tweeters instead of just stereo.

Now I have moved everything over to the interface. So I got adaptors that convert the 3.5mm jacks to 1/4" jacks and I plugged them into the Main Output sockets on the back of the 204HD.

Then in Windows when I'm not in my DAW and simply using MME for standard operation, listening to music etc, I have my default playback device set to the 204HD's OUT 1-2, which as I understand it outputs through the two output ports and 2 of the RCA playback output ports too. I then have turned on Virtual Surround in the Enhancements.

However, it only plays through tweeters 1 and 2 (even if I do a surround test). Now, this makes sense to me in a way, I only have 2 jacks so why should 5 speakers work? However, it has always been plugged into my computer by the same two wires before and I could always get 5 speaker audio before.

I know that I could get two more monitor speakers with their own power supplies and plug them into the RCA ports to get more speakers running, but I can't do that with the tweeters because obvs they are powered from the main box and nothing would amplify the signal.

Is this a lost cause or is there a way for me to, as before, plug all my tweeters into my sub and have them output despite the sound running through the Behringer?

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Re: Can I get surround speaker fill from my Behringer UMC 204HD audio interface?

Hi Alex ( @Alexrose ), 

Welcome to the community.  Can you give us the make and model of the speaker system you are using?  I don't think it's possible to do what you want to do with the 204HD but I want to understand how those speakers work first. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Re: Can I get surround speaker fill from my Behringer UMC 204HD audio interface?

Hi Ken,

It's a Creative Inspire T6300. It kinda makes sense to me that it wouldn't work; the interface has a left out and right out so in a way, how could that output to 5 speakers? But, at the same time.. my onboard motherboard soundcard was able to do this through two 3.5mm slots so I don't get how it ever worked.

Contributor - Level 3

The 204HD has four outputs on RCA connectors. So you would need two 3.5mm socket to 2 x RCA adaptors. Lime Green plug to 204 outputs 1 & 2 and Black to outputs 3 & 4. You would then have to assign the appropriate outputs from your DAW to feed the correct channnels to your now 4 chan surround speakers. Not really full surround unfortunately since the 204 won't be able to get decoded surround from Dolby/DTS encoded audio files unless you use something like https://ac3filter.net/wiki/AC3Filter

Contributor - Level 2

The RCA won't work because the tweeters don't have amplifiers. The sub contains the amplifier, the tweeters plug into the sub, which plugs into the interface through two 3.5mm jacks.

Also Windows MME can't even output 3-4 and 1-2 simultaneously anyway, it can only output 1-2 so even if the tweeters were monitor speakers that solution still wouldn't work. I'm trying to get my front and back speakers to operate through normal computer use using MME drivers - which already worked on my onboard soundcard, I don't care about what they're doing in my DAW in ASIO.

Contributor - Level 2

This is how it's currently set up:currentInterface.png

However I've noticed that if I put headphone splitters into e.g. slot L, I can plug Centre into it and get stereo to run through it.

To be clear, idgaf about actual 5.1 audio, I simply want my left speakers to play left music and right speakers to play right music in stereo.

I'm wondering if this is possible:

proposedinterface.pngi.e. plug two splitters like this into the L and R output from my sub:

CablesOnline, 6-inch 3.5mm Stereo female to Dual 3.5mm Mono Male Left/Right Adapter Cable, AV-Y16

Then plug both the red and white there into these

and plug these into the audio interface. Is this possible?

Contributor - Level 2

Like, am I right in thinking this thing will convert stereo 3.5mm into L/R (aka Front/Back) 1/4" jacks (you can see from the single black lines):

ECAsdgMX4AEmQGu

And this one converts one mono signal (which my audio interface outputs) into two mono outputs:

ECAskLhXYAExUm8

So the mono signal will output to front AND back? Is this correct before I spend on this?

Valued Contributor - Level 1

Hi Alex, 

I just took a look at the user guide for your speaker system and I believe @RichardYClark already gave you the answer to what you need to connect the 204HD.  There are 4x RCAs jacks on the back of the 204HD.  You need to purchase 2x 3.5mm stereo to dual RCA splitters and connect those to the RCAs on the back of the 204HD. You then connect the Lime-Green lead from the Sub (the one that would plug into your sound card) into the splitter that connects to Playback 1 and 2.  Then connect the black lead from the Sub to the other RCA splitter that connects to Playback 3 and 4. 

Here's the splitter you'll need: https://hosatech.com/products/analog-audio/stereo-breakouts/hosa-breakouts/ymr-197/

Again, as Richard has already said, you'll only be able to use this with a DAW or other similar software that supports ASIO since the UMC Windows drivers only create stereo pairs.  

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 3

I am not talking about the RCA connectors out of the Sub to the 'Tweeters', as you call them, (it's daft to use RCA for loudspeaker level audio signals anyway IMHO). It is the four RCA outputs on the back of the 204 which need a couple of 3.5mm socket to two RCA adaptor leads as linked to by Ken.

Contributor - Level 2

Richard, I was also talking about the RCA on the soundcard, not the sub. My problem is that Windows MME can only select 1-2 out or 3-4 out, it's impossible afaik to output from all 4 simultaneously so this solution is not what I need - but as I said, I don't actually care about having "true surround", I'm perfectly happy to double the mono signal into stereo.

Those RCA playback outputs are for monitor speakers to use with your DAW, I'm talking about general purpose use outside of my DAW and I don't own monitor speakers.

Maybe if I use an stereo to dual mono RCA splitter on the green and then use a stereo to dual 1/4" jack splitter on the black and plug black into Main Output and green into RCA Playback 1? Although then green and black will both be getting left and right in a weird way. But.. I could then swap the polarities of front and back such that they're the right way round on the desk.