Contributor - Level 2

Canterbury driver problems

CEBE6ECA-8FE0-49DA-9C70-8FC849A2DC9E.jpegDriver melting ?What would cause this?

F440F37A-E251-4886-A030-524868E34455.jpegDriver of Canterbury

Melting marks are on both speakers

C-liv Contributor - Level 2 2020-01-06

2020-01-06

Canterbury driver problems

CEBE6ECA-8FE0-49DA-9C70-8FC849A2DC9E.jpegDriver melting ?What would cause this?

F440F37A-E251-4886-A030-524868E34455.jpegDriver of Canterbury

Melting marks are on both speakers

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Canterbury driver problems

@C-liv 

Hi Chris, welcome to the community.

They look like the glue spots that hold the connections between the voice-coil and the flexible leads on the back of the cone. They are present on most loudspeaker cones but are sometimes hidden by dust covers.

Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the reply Rex. And I apologize for no formal intro to the community. Yes I thought that was the area where wires from voice-coil connect. Those spots were not visible before. When I turn Amps on those areas are warm and pliable as though melting, like a short or something!!? 

Super Contributor - Level 2

@C-liv wrote:

Thanks for the reply Rex. And I apologize for no formal intro to the community. Yes I thought that was the area where wires from voice-coil connect. Those spots were not visible before. When I turn Amps on those areas are warm and pliable as though melting, like a short or something!!? 

@C-liv 

Voice-coils do get warm when producing sound. If they get warm with the amps on but no music playing, I would worry about the amps. A short in a voice-coil would severely reduce the output - and is unlikely in two drivers. High-frequency oscillation in the amps could cause excessive heat in voice-coils.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks again Rex. The system sounds great! Just heating up. I’m going to contact the maker of the amps and see what he thinks and send amps to get tested. This is my final destination in home audio and to see this on these beautiful Tannoy drivers is making me very distraught.