Contributor - Level 1

Tannoy Berkeley Speakers

I have an old pair (40 years old!) of Tannoy Berkeley speakers. They have the 12" dual concentric speakers. Sadly, I now have a great deal of distortion in one of the speakers I'm not sure if these speakers are even available anymore. Does anyone have an idea of how I might fix/replace one/both of these speakers?

jasroc Contributor - Level 1 2020-01-02

2020-01-02

Tannoy Berkeley Speakers

I have an old pair (40 years old!) of Tannoy Berkeley speakers. They have the 12" dual concentric speakers. Sadly, I now have a great deal of distortion in one of the speakers I'm not sure if these speakers are even available anymore. Does anyone have an idea of how I might fix/replace one/both of these speakers?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: Tannoy Berkeley Speakers

Hi, send mail from Japan. I also have a old Tannoy.

Your case is 2 way buy new one or repair.

Even if the old speaker is distorted, it is difficult to answer because we do not know whether you are the same distortion, but the treble or bass or both, most often the edge supporting the cone deteriorates (always due to gravity For example, the voice coil relative to the magnet pulled down) does not maintain the correct position.
It's actually more complicated, but from the experience of JBL LE8T, this is probably the one thing that's wrong.

Relic is Japanese Old speaker repair shop 

cost is only in Japan, from UK is much more, you should consider first my word.

anyway my mail is usefull for you very grad to me, RGDS

https://relicfreq.com/works/961/

# 1 HPD385 The edge is deteriorated
# 3 HPD385 high frequency magnetic very iderably oxidized into the gap
# 4 HPD385 Low frequency magnetic Red rust is remarkable here
# 5 3839M Ferrite magnetism is also covered with oxide
# 6 3839M High frequency side voice coil oxidation
# 7 HPD385 Low frequency side voice coil oxidation (Originally red coated wire, one side oxidized to blue green)
# 8 HDP385 Hardware around the edge This also has red rust!
# 9 Westminster unit Connector Oxidized and deformed
# 10 Below is the photo after overhaul.

General repair price per unit
TANNOY HPD385 (Round connector type) Repair set: 1 pc. ¥ 64,500 (excluding tax)
TANNOY 3828, Westminster unit, etc. (with a square connector housing) Repair set: 1 pc. ¥ 68,500 (excluding tax)
Depending on the degree of oxidation of the magnet and the deterioration of each part, the above general repair price may be added. Formal quotes will be provided after the actual item is confirmed.