Contributor - Level 2

xlr connect pin 3 hot

Hi, i have Equ Klark Teknik DN360 and i see Pin 3 hot.

I want to connect between Dac Benchmark and Mc275 mcintosh hifi audio power amp by XLR.

Dac Bencmark and Mcintosh power amp use Pin 2 hot, pin 1 Grnd and Pin 3 Cold. Its necessary invert cables ?

mati1979 Contributor - Level 2 2019-12-04

2019-12-04

xlr connect pin 3 hot

Hi, i have Equ Klark Teknik DN360 and i see Pin 3 hot.

I want to connect between Dac Benchmark and Mc275 mcintosh hifi audio power amp by XLR.

Dac Bencmark and Mcintosh power amp use Pin 2 hot, pin 1 Grnd and Pin 3 Cold. Its necessary invert cables ?

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: xlr connect pin 3 hot

@mati1979 

Hello Matias, welcome to the community.

I believe the DN360 inputs and outputs are unbalanced (unless the optional transformers are fitted). I think it would be best to use phase invert cables or adapters in case the other units do not have fully balanced inputs and outputs.

Contributor - Level 2

mc275 mcintosh tube amp and benchmark dac have xlr. but pin 2 hot.

How can I know if my DN360 have transformers ?

@mati1979 wrote:

mc275 mcintosh tube amp and benchmark dac have xlr. but pin 2 hot.

How can I know if my DN360 have transformers ?

@mati1979 

The transformer option was quite expensive. Odds are that your unit doesn't have them. You could just connect it and see if it works. If not try something like this on the inputs and outputs.

Contributor - Level 2

if i solder again my cables ? i see i need to change pin 2 to pin 3 ?

@mati1979 wrote:

if i solder again my cables ? i see i need to change pin 2 to pin 3 ?

@mati1979 

Yes that is all the phase-reverse cables and adapters do. In a fully balanced system it would not be a major issue if one unit inverted the phase. The problem is that some outputs are described as balanced but may not have a driven cold pin (impedance balanced). Such outputs would not be able to drive an input with pin 3 hot.