Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hurdy Gurdy preamp

My hurdy gurdy has four magnetic pickups and a xlr connector per pickup.

For the moment I play through a Behringer XR18, without any preamp.

It works, but the gain has to be rather high. Using external effects this results in noise.

Can I use something like the Klark Teknik CM- 2 as preamp to boost the signal before entering the mixer.

Any other suggestion is welcome, I am a bit of a dummy concerning sound technique.

thanks,

Pieter

PieterLauwers Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-30

2019-11-30

Hurdy Gurdy preamp

My hurdy gurdy has four magnetic pickups and a xlr connector per pickup.

For the moment I play through a Behringer XR18, without any preamp.

It works, but the gain has to be rather high. Using external effects this results in noise.

Can I use something like the Klark Teknik CM- 2 as preamp to boost the signal before entering the mixer.

Any other suggestion is welcome, I am a bit of a dummy concerning sound technique.

thanks,

Pieter

• 0 Kudos
  • 9 Replies
Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

Re: Hurdy Gurdy preamp

@PieterLauwers 

Maybe. It depends on your setup. Where are you using external effect and what effects are they? The XR18 already has very good preamps. I suspect your are using effects before the the mixer and the type of effect and it's input and output requirements maybe the source of your problem.

With a little more information, we can give you some advice.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Example:

- used effect: EHX Big Muff

- routing: instrument in, routed to aux, aux in effect, effect out plugged in mixer.

So, since the effect is plugged in after the input, the problem is with the effect ( tried Boss Overdrive also) or with the gain settings.

( I definitely play a lot better then I am in setting the electronics up!)

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@PieterLauwers 

The way you have it setup makes sense for your apllication. The problem is a level and impedance mismatch between the mixer's line level output and the pedal's guitar level input.

Even if you can get the level low enough, the impedance mismatch will mess with your tone. An line level to guitar level converter (also known as  re-amp) will solve that problem.

Have you tried the mixer's built in Guitar Amp simulator and Tube Stage emulator. You can insert them in a (pair of) channel(s) to get very good amp simulation. Give it a try and see if you like it, or get a re-amp box.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I use the Tube Stage emulator as an effect on both melody strings.

so, probably, I will need a reamp box.

If I understand it right:

- the effects I use are guitar effects, build for guitar impedance, not mixer line impedance

- in order to fix noise problems with my outside effect string the mixer's line impedance has to be tempered, ergo the ReAmp.

Did I say that right? (Still trying to understand the mystic ways of a mixer)

Thanks!

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

And, by the way, can you give me ReAmp example?

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@PieterLauwers 

Impedance and really hot levels are the problems. The Radial ProRMP would be a very solid interface, It's got a sweet little transformer that will make your pedals happy. The are many other fine brands of course.

As a bonus: After you record your parts, you can use your re-amp to manipulate your tracks after they are recorded,

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

"My levels are too hot"

Never thought saying that at my age.

Thanks a lot, I will test this!

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Read some Radial ReAmp manuals while enjoying morning coffee.

The following routing seems logis to me, correct me if I'm wrong:

- instrument in mixer

- instrument routed to aux exit

- aux exit plugged in reamp box

- reamp box plugged in external effects string

- exit external effect strings plugged back into mixer

- mixer connected to powered monitor or PA

The only difference with my current setup would be the reamp box in front of the effects. Sounds logic to my limited knowledge.

Highlighted
Rock Star - Level 2

@PieterLauwers 

That seems like you're gonna a great setup.