Contributor - Level 2

Are the RD-8 tempos perfect?

I’ll start by admitting that I am a midi/sync dummy – basically I have a song recorded in logic at 120 bpm.  I programed beats in the RD-8 at 120.  What I did was hit record in my Logic session, then manually hit play once I wanted RD-8 to start.  I know that I am not going to hit play on the RD-8 exactly on the 1, but my thought is that I can manually move it after recording and it will fall into place for the entire song.  After recording, I noticed the I hit play on the RD-8 slightly before the 1 however, as the song progresses the 1 on the RD-8 little by little moved past the 1 in the Logic session… Why would the RD-8 but off…  I did a test, just soft midi kicks 100% in time at 120 bpm for about 4 minutes and then recorded kicks from the RD-8 at 120 bpm… even if I were to exactly hit the 1 perfectly, by the end of the 4 minutes the RD-8 would be out of sync… what’s going on?

Nalsim Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-22

2019-11-22

Are the RD-8 tempos perfect?

I’ll start by admitting that I am a midi/sync dummy – basically I have a song recorded in logic at 120 bpm.  I programed beats in the RD-8 at 120.  What I did was hit record in my Logic session, then manually hit play once I wanted RD-8 to start.  I know that I am not going to hit play on the RD-8 exactly on the 1, but my thought is that I can manually move it after recording and it will fall into place for the entire song.  After recording, I noticed the I hit play on the RD-8 slightly before the 1 however, as the song progresses the 1 on the RD-8 little by little moved past the 1 in the Logic session… Why would the RD-8 but off…  I did a test, just soft midi kicks 100% in time at 120 bpm for about 4 minutes and then recorded kicks from the RD-8 at 120 bpm… even if I were to exactly hit the 1 perfectly, by the end of the 4 minutes the RD-8 would be out of sync… what’s going on?

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: Are the RD-8 tempos perfect?

Have you tried running your Daw from the Midi clock in the RD8?  Also, using the clock from the DAW via usb midi can be pretty laggy in my experience.