Contributor - Level 1

Beatmaker struggling with vocal mixing (need tips / tutos)

Yo guys ! I’m a beatmaker, I’ve evolved quite a lot in mixing my beats compared to like 1 year ago even tho it’s far away from professional mixing.. now I’m dealing with a friend who enjoys laying raps on my beats, and I really struggle with mixing the vocals ! Does anyone have nice tips and/or nice YouTube videos/Channels that could help me understand more how to mix vocals (and also my beats btw) ? I know I could probably never get my mix to the level of a professional mixing engineer but I guess can at least make it sound full and ear pleasingreverse phone lookup nba reddit

JerryTubs Contributor - Level 1 2019-08-27

2019-08-27

Beatmaker struggling with vocal mixing (need tips / tutos)

Yo guys ! I’m a beatmaker, I’ve evolved quite a lot in mixing my beats compared to like 1 year ago even tho it’s far away from professional mixing.. now I’m dealing with a friend who enjoys laying raps on my beats, and I really struggle with mixing the vocals ! Does anyone have nice tips and/or nice YouTube videos/Channels that could help me understand more how to mix vocals (and also my beats btw) ? I know I could probably never get my mix to the level of a professional mixing engineer but I guess can at least make it sound full and ear pleasingreverse phone lookup nba reddit

Highlighted
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Re: Beatmaker struggling with vocal mixing (need tips / tutos)

Hi @JerryTubs ,

Welcome to the community.  Start with a Google search "mixing vocals".  There's some good information on several sites but some are talking about a specific DAW.  What DAW are you using to record and mix? 

Before you get lost in the details of what to do in what DAW, it's worth understanding how vocals "sit" in the mix.  It's very easy when mixing in vocals, particularly with beats, to have the beats step all over the vocal frequencies and make the vocals sound flat or even patchy. 

I disagree with your last statement.  With some effort, you can get near pro level results.  It's just going to take more than just throwing a couple of plugins on a vocal track. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver