Contributor - Level 2

Chaining effects xr18

Hi all

I have the xr18. When using the android app I have discovered that bussing effects onto a guitar input (channel 1) only sends dry signals to each fx send. So if I use the stereo amp and want to put a chorus or delay (ie use 3 of the fx sends) they only process 3 dry signals. Am I right in assuming I have to rtn each fx send to the other fxs to enable a chain ie Stereo Amp (fx1) >chorus (fx2) >delay (fx3) to process the signal through each in turn? If so is there a latency risk?

Tags (4)
Solracm Contributor - Level 2 2019-07-29

2019-07-29

Chaining effects xr18

Hi all

I have the xr18. When using the android app I have discovered that bussing effects onto a guitar input (channel 1) only sends dry signals to each fx send. So if I use the stereo amp and want to put a chorus or delay (ie use 3 of the fx sends) they only process 3 dry signals. Am I right in assuming I have to rtn each fx send to the other fxs to enable a chain ie Stereo Amp (fx1) >chorus (fx2) >delay (fx3) to process the signal through each in turn? If so is there a latency risk?

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Chaining effects xr18

@Solracm 

Hi Carlos, welcome to the forum.

Do you mean that you are using the Stereo Guitar Amp FX processor? If so, you can Insert it into a linked pair of channels or buses. Then the post-fader send from the channels/buses will include the effect. The Dual version of the FX processors can be inserted into two individual channels or buses.

Yes you can send the return from one FX slot into the send of another one to chain the effects. Just make sure you don't inadvertently send an FX slot its own return - it can cause very unpleasant digital feedback.

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Carlos,

just remember when chaining FX that FX sends are mono while FX returns are stereo. So when chaining FXs, you will loose the stereo effects of those first in the chain.

ulf

Behringer XR18, X Air iPad Air2, X-Air-Edit PC Windows 7, X Air Android
Super Contributor - Level 2

@Solracm 

Hi Carlos, welcome to the forum.

Do you mean that you are using the Stereo Guitar Amp FX processor? If so, you can Insert it into a linked pair of channels or buses. Then the post-fader send from the channels/buses will include the effect. The Dual version of the FX processors can be inserted into two individual channels or buses.

Yes you can send the return from one FX slot into the send of another one to chain the effects. Just make sure you don't inadvertently send an FX slot its own return - it can cause very unpleasant digital feedback.

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Carlos,

just remember when chaining FX that FX sends are mono while FX returns are stereo. So when chaining FXs, you will loose the stereo effects of those first in the chain.

ulf

Behringer XR18, X Air iPad Air2, X-Air-Edit PC Windows 7, X Air Android
Contributor - Level 2

Yes thank you.

It requires multi level logical thought when compared to simply chaining mono outboard effects for a guitar rig to amp as an example. The added bonus I'm finding is you have a lot more audio options for how you can process, mix and balance a dry signal through multiple chains; or wet them up through the fx sends. Learning a great deal and loving it.

Thanks

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Good to know. I'll keep the stero delay last in chain.