Contributor - Level 2

How could I have handled this better?

Hi I have been spinning about a year at this point. I played an opener last Saturday. I ask the owner of the venue what mixer will be available since I have played for them in the past on a A&H Xone92 and did not do well on it. He said both a DJM900 NExus and Xone92. Cool. The DJM900 is something I can definitely transfer a lot of my experience on other boards to. I get there the night of and find out it's the Xone that is only there. Not also that but I can barely see the mixer because I'm playing at a venue that just opened and they haven't quite gotten all the small details worked out such as booth lighting. The sound system is Funktion ones and some funktion one monitors for the booth. I honestly had a hard time beatmatching on the Xone since I am not used to how its headphone cue works plus just having that really powerful sound system just threw me off. The 4 band EQ knobs also just really threw me off since I didn't exactly know how to mix in and out with an extra knob. And I don't really have a way to practice on setups like this. Thank god I was the opener at least. The venue manager told me after my set I had great track selection and the volumes shifted a lot but good performance.

TokiyoRio Contributor - Level 2 2019-08-16

2019-08-16

How could I have handled this better?

Hi I have been spinning about a year at this point. I played an opener last Saturday. I ask the owner of the venue what mixer will be available since I have played for them in the past on a A&H Xone92 and did not do well on it. He said both a DJM900 NExus and Xone92. Cool. The DJM900 is something I can definitely transfer a lot of my experience on other boards to. I get there the night of and find out it's the Xone that is only there. Not also that but I can barely see the mixer because I'm playing at a venue that just opened and they haven't quite gotten all the small details worked out such as booth lighting. The sound system is Funktion ones and some funktion one monitors for the booth. I honestly had a hard time beatmatching on the Xone since I am not used to how its headphone cue works plus just having that really powerful sound system just threw me off. The 4 band EQ knobs also just really threw me off since I didn't exactly know how to mix in and out with an extra knob. And I don't really have a way to practice on setups like this. Thank god I was the opener at least. The venue manager told me after my set I had great track selection and the volumes shifted a lot but good performance.

Contributor - Level 1

Re: How could I have handled this better?

you already handled it the best way one can do , dw !