Contributor - Level 1

My journey towards becoming a full-time DJ/Producer

Hello everyone,,,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I couldnt find anywhere else that would fit it exactly (There is production talk in this too so don't worry).

Long story short, I'm currently 23 years old. I've been producing for roughly 5-6 years in my spare time. I started making electro house, moved to progressive house and currently found my true passion which is Tech House/House.

Earlier this year I was unhappy with my job/life, I don't want to go into too many details but it was mentally, emotionally and physically draining. I always had a passion for music more than anything else but I was brought up with the standard mentality of "Get a degree, get a job, clock in till 5pm, raise a family, retire" (Nothing against my parents, they just want what is best for me and what is safe).

Two months ago I said "**bleep** it", I quit my job and started to work on music full time (I'm also working on opening my own company in an industry not related to music). Since then, I've written 7 tracks, with the idea of having 10 fully finished mixed/mastered tracks by the end of the year so that I could start 2019 with some potential releases/material.

I'm very happy with my productions, they're sounding great and I'm getting some great feedback from Dj's and music lovers which helps me realize that this "dream" of mine to have a career in the music industry is possible!

I have no definite plan as such, I just want to try fill my 2019 with as many releases as possible to get my name out there, send my stuff around to DJ's so that they can play it and also to blogs/media outlets.

I live in Malta and am pretty well connected locally. I have a summer residency where I play for around 1-2k people weekly and share the stage with some pretty big names. Winter gets a little slower obviously so it's kind of harder to retain gigs. Obviously my goal is to play outside of my country as well but that does not happen so easily.

My question to you guys is, what would you recommend to me along this journey I am about to take? I am super determined to make this dream of mine a reality and I wont stop unless I'm broke living on the streets. Where should I invest my money? Should I focus more on releasing on big record labels or loads of small ones to get my name out? I know the tech house scene is pretty saturated right now, what do you think I can do to stand above the crowd? Networking is a big thing, have you got any tips?

Sorry for the long post, I'm just super determined and want to try avoid any mistakes that others have already.

Thank you guys and have an awesome week!

Reading through all your comments really motivated me guys. I’m still new to this whole Reddit thing and didn’t expect such a response! Thank you all so much, thanks for the tips and also thank you for raising your concerns about the situation such as finances and stuff. It’s good to hear other opinions.

I’ll hopefully be replying to this post sometime in the future when/if everything pays off but till then, I’ll keep working at it!

Have an awesome end to the year guys, keep making music and never be afraid to dream because I sure as hell am not ❤️

-Mac

MacPhilips Contributor - Level 1 2019-07-11

2019-07-11

My journey towards becoming a full-time DJ/Producer

Hello everyone,,,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I couldnt find anywhere else that would fit it exactly (There is production talk in this too so don't worry).

Long story short, I'm currently 23 years old. I've been producing for roughly 5-6 years in my spare time. I started making electro house, moved to progressive house and currently found my true passion which is Tech House/House.

Earlier this year I was unhappy with my job/life, I don't want to go into too many details but it was mentally, emotionally and physically draining. I always had a passion for music more than anything else but I was brought up with the standard mentality of "Get a degree, get a job, clock in till 5pm, raise a family, retire" (Nothing against my parents, they just want what is best for me and what is safe).

Two months ago I said "**bleep** it", I quit my job and started to work on music full time (I'm also working on opening my own company in an industry not related to music). Since then, I've written 7 tracks, with the idea of having 10 fully finished mixed/mastered tracks by the end of the year so that I could start 2019 with some potential releases/material.

I'm very happy with my productions, they're sounding great and I'm getting some great feedback from Dj's and music lovers which helps me realize that this "dream" of mine to have a career in the music industry is possible!

I have no definite plan as such, I just want to try fill my 2019 with as many releases as possible to get my name out there, send my stuff around to DJ's so that they can play it and also to blogs/media outlets.

I live in Malta and am pretty well connected locally. I have a summer residency where I play for around 1-2k people weekly and share the stage with some pretty big names. Winter gets a little slower obviously so it's kind of harder to retain gigs. Obviously my goal is to play outside of my country as well but that does not happen so easily.

My question to you guys is, what would you recommend to me along this journey I am about to take? I am super determined to make this dream of mine a reality and I wont stop unless I'm broke living on the streets. Where should I invest my money? Should I focus more on releasing on big record labels or loads of small ones to get my name out? I know the tech house scene is pretty saturated right now, what do you think I can do to stand above the crowd? Networking is a big thing, have you got any tips?

Sorry for the long post, I'm just super determined and want to try avoid any mistakes that others have already.

Thank you guys and have an awesome week!

Reading through all your comments really motivated me guys. I’m still new to this whole Reddit thing and didn’t expect such a response! Thank you all so much, thanks for the tips and also thank you for raising your concerns about the situation such as finances and stuff. It’s good to hear other opinions.

I’ll hopefully be replying to this post sometime in the future when/if everything pays off but till then, I’ll keep working at it!

Have an awesome end to the year guys, keep making music and never be afraid to dream because I sure as hell am not ❤️

-Mac

Contributor - Level 1

Re: My journey towards becoming a full-time DJ/Producer

Hi Are you intersted in having you music optimized (mastered for social media or a CD?) Becasue you are just getting started you might benefit from using this service. It will assist you in getting a more professional result. Please visit my website to find out more and click the link at the bottom of the page to listen to an example. I am a real person who is soft launching my company. Independent and caring for other musicians success. Here you go...

https://tnwindustries.wixsite.com/website

Richard Smith TNW Industries