Contributor - Level 2

Recording Issue U-Phoria UMC 202

Hi all,

First of all thanks for your time,

I bought a UMC 202 to record my DJ set from a mixer. The problem I got is that when I record I don 't get all the frequencecies (in particular I almost don't record the low) and looks like I am recording in mono. So my mixer output is rca that goes in one of the audiocard input  with an aux 6mm. The weird thing is that if I disconnect one of the rca from my mixer (if I keep only the red for instance) then the sound is better than with both ( white and red) connected. I tried several things with ableton, drivers but nothing. I am new in this world so probably it is just a stupid thing but if anyone can help me that would be great

Thanks in advance 

Ale Smiley Happy 

TabbiUG Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-06

2019-11-06

Recording Issue U-Phoria UMC 202

Hi all,

First of all thanks for your time,

I bought a UMC 202 to record my DJ set from a mixer. The problem I got is that when I record I don 't get all the frequencecies (in particular I almost don't record the low) and looks like I am recording in mono. So my mixer output is rca that goes in one of the audiocard input  with an aux 6mm. The weird thing is that if I disconnect one of the rca from my mixer (if I keep only the red for instance) then the sound is better than with both ( white and red) connected. I tried several things with ableton, drivers but nothing. I am new in this world so probably it is just a stupid thing but if anyone can help me that would be great

Thanks in advance 

Ale Smiley Happy 

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Recording Issue U-Phoria UMC 202

@TabbiUG wrote:

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your time

I am using an EPSILON INNO mix 2 http://epsilon-pro.com/mixers-inno-mix2-black.html

I am using ta CAVO AUDIO STEREO 2 RCA M (output from mixer) - JACK STEREO 6,3MM 1,5MT (input in the umc)

Yes it is 202HD

Cheers Smiley Happy

Ale

@TabbiUG 

That explains your problem. With that cable you are feeding an unbalanced stereo signal into a balanced mono input. This causes cancellation of the mono part of the stereo signal - including most of the bass. It sounds odd and, of course, you only get one channel.

Instead, use a cable like this to feed the mixer output to both channels of the UMC202HD. 

View solution in original post

Rising Star - Level 3

Hi Ale ( @TabbiUG ), 

Welcome to the community.  Let's start with what mixer are you using?  How are you coming out of the mixer into the 202HD? As in, what cables are you using?  I'm assuming it's an HD and not the older 202. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your time

I am using an EPSILON INNO mix 2 http://epsilon-pro.com/mixers-inno-mix2-black.html

I am using ta CAVO AUDIO STEREO 2 RCA M (output from mixer) - JACK STEREO 6,3MM 1,5MT (input in the umc)

Yes it is 202HD

Cheers Smiley Happy

Ale

@TabbiUG wrote:

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your time

Yes it is 202HD

Cheers Smiley Happy

Ale

@TabbiUG 

That explains your problem. With that cable you are feeding an unbalanced stereo signal into a balanced mono input. This causes cancellation of the mono part of the stereo signal - including most of the bass. It sounds odd and, of course, you only get one channel.

Instead, use a cable like this to feed the mixer output to both channels of the UMC202HD. 

View solution in original post

Contributor - Level 2

Thank you so much Smiley Happy tomorrow I will get this cable then!!!!

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Because I though that each input in the audiocard was a stereo input and not a mono input.

@TabbiUG wrote:

Thank you so much Smiley Happy tomorrow I will get this cable then!!!!

@TabbiUG wrote:

Because I though that each input in the audiocard was a stereo input and not a mono input.

@TabbiUG 

Yes it's a common confusion because TRS jack connectors can be used either for stereo unbalanced or mono balanced. If you connect the wrong one, it doesn't sound good.