Contributor - Level 1

Using a USB mic with Non USB mixer

I have a Xenyx1202FX (not USB) and I want to purchase a Blue Yeti Mic which is USB.  Is there a way to convert my Mixer to accomidate the USB mic ( I cannot find a corded version of this mic).  I have reseached this a bit, and came across Behringer UCA222 U-Control 2-IN 2-Out USB Audio Interface. My current mic is a older Precision 120 and directly connected to my mixer via XLR. The mixer is connected to the PC via Line In.  I'm not familiar with the UCA222 Audio Interface and how I would hook it up. Would it be worth doing this, or just look for a corded mic. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

DjCele Contributor - Level 1 2019-07-15

2019-07-15

Using a USB mic with Non USB mixer

I have a Xenyx1202FX (not USB) and I want to purchase a Blue Yeti Mic which is USB.  Is there a way to convert my Mixer to accomidate the USB mic ( I cannot find a corded version of this mic).  I have reseached this a bit, and came across Behringer UCA222 U-Control 2-IN 2-Out USB Audio Interface. My current mic is a older Precision 120 and directly connected to my mixer via XLR. The mixer is connected to the PC via Line In.  I'm not familiar with the UCA222 Audio Interface and how I would hook it up. Would it be worth doing this, or just look for a corded mic. Any advice is greatly appreciated. 

Accepted Solutions
Triber

Re: Using a UBS mic with Non UBS mixer

Hi @DjCele ,

The Blue Yeti has a usb audio interface built in, so if you're just planning to record with it, you can simply plug it into your computer and select it as your audio input. The yeti pro also has an xlr output if you want to just plug it into your mixer directly. If your goal is to use is live and control it from the mixer, and you don't want to get the yeti pro, I'd find a different mic which isn't usb dependant; it would make life a lot easier. One great alternative which doesn't use usb is the Behringer B-1 (https://www.amazon.ca/Behringer-B-1-Gold-Sputtered-Large-Diaphragm-Microphone/dp/B0002KZAK8/ref=sr_1...).

Hope this helps!

Robert Deacon | Triber, Music Tribe If you found my post helpful, go ahead and give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Triber

Hi @DjCele ,

The Blue Yeti has a usb audio interface built in, so if you're just planning to record with it, you can simply plug it into your computer and select it as your audio input. The yeti pro also has an xlr output if you want to just plug it into your mixer directly. If your goal is to use is live and control it from the mixer, and you don't want to get the yeti pro, I'd find a different mic which isn't usb dependant; it would make life a lot easier. One great alternative which doesn't use usb is the Behringer B-1 (https://www.amazon.ca/Behringer-B-1-Gold-Sputtered-Large-Diaphragm-Microphone/dp/B0002KZAK8/ref=sr_1...).

Hope this helps!

Robert Deacon | Triber, Music Tribe If you found my post helpful, go ahead and give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Contributor - Level 3

Re: Using a USB mic with Non USB mixer

No a USB mic cannot work with any audio mixer or interface, like the UCA222, which expects a microphone to be plugged in with standard XLR cable. You would need to buy the more expensive Yeti Pro which comes with stereo XLR outputs as well as USB if you wanted to connect to an ordinary mixer or USB audio interface.
Triber

@DjCele @RichardYClark if you really wanted to use the Blue Yeti with the UCA222, you could go straight into your computer via usb from the blue yeti, and then output the yeti through the UCA 222's outputs into your mixer. This would probably lead to a lot of latency and is more trouble than it's worth in my opinion

Contributor - Level 3

The UCA 222 USB interface only has RCA phono inputs and outputs so you can't plug in a mic directly to it. However it can be used with your present mixer and mic. It should sound a lot better than plugging the mixer into the 3.5mm input jack on the computer.
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you so much for everyones advice, I think I'm going the Behringer condenser mic route, just makes more sence.