Highlighted
Super Contributor - Level 2

X-Air - XR18 - X-Touch - Application Specific Audio - Macintosh

As always, a convoluted path. What I want to do is turn on/off the LR assignment of an XR18 channel via a button or V-Pot on an X-Touch.

I have application audio on my Mac routed to a channel pair on the XR18 (3/4). Normally I have LR off, since the XR18 is my soundcard for my Mac. The goal is to send application audio to the XR18 and incorporate it with other inputs from the XR18.

If LR is on the application audio plays through my main speakers which are the LR output from the XR18. Some times I want to have 3/4 controlled by my DAW - reference audio which I can mute/un-mute as needed.

Yes, I can open up X-Air Edit and change the setting, but all of the other things I want to do are all controllable on the X-Touch.

Is there any hope for me? I may be able to contrive something that I find accetable...

At the moment I think I have it working with 3/4 sending PostEQ. If I mute 3/4 I get the audio on USB sends. If I un-mute I can hear the audio coming through the Mac mains.

Key part here is Audio Hijack/Loopback - Audio Hijack grabs application audio, routes to Loopback audio output (sends to 3/4). 

When all is said and done I have iTunes on one pair of faders, QuickTime Player on another, and Safari on a third. Fader control of audio producing applications on my Mac which I can merge and blend with streaming content things...

Or have I simply complicated things

Logic Pro X 10.4.8, 10.5.0, X-Touch 1.15, XR18 1.5, macOS 10.14.5|10.15.2
ChrisJanton Super Contributor - Level 2 2020-05-19

2020-05-19

X-Air - XR18 - X-Touch - Application Specific Audio - Macintosh

As always, a convoluted path. What I want to do is turn on/off the LR assignment of an XR18 channel via a button or V-Pot on an X-Touch.

I have application audio on my Mac routed to a channel pair on the XR18 (3/4). Normally I have LR off, since the XR18 is my soundcard for my Mac. The goal is to send application audio to the XR18 and incorporate it with other inputs from the XR18.

If LR is on the application audio plays through my main speakers which are the LR output from the XR18. Some times I want to have 3/4 controlled by my DAW - reference audio which I can mute/un-mute as needed.

Yes, I can open up X-Air Edit and change the setting, but all of the other things I want to do are all controllable on the X-Touch.

Is there any hope for me? I may be able to contrive something that I find accetable...

At the moment I think I have it working with 3/4 sending PostEQ. If I mute 3/4 I get the audio on USB sends. If I un-mute I can hear the audio coming through the Mac mains.

Key part here is Audio Hijack/Loopback - Audio Hijack grabs application audio, routes to Loopback audio output (sends to 3/4). 

When all is said and done I have iTunes on one pair of faders, QuickTime Player on another, and Safari on a third. Fader control of audio producing applications on my Mac which I can merge and blend with streaming content things...

Or have I simply complicated things

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

Re: X-Air - XR18 - X-Touch - Application Specific Audio - Macintosh

@ChrisJanton 

You should be able to change the state of a channel's LR assignment on an X-Touch by selecting the Pan encoder layer and using the Rec button.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@ChrisJanton 

You should be able to change the state of a channel's LR assignment on an X-Touch by selecting the Pan encoder layer and using the Rec button.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Ohhhh - that's what the red lights mean...

Did I miss that in the documentation somewhere?

Thank you so very much...one step closer to the best soundcard ever

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@ChrisJanton wrote:

Did I miss that in the documentation somewhere?

@ChrisJanton 

It is on page 7 of the V1.15 X-Touch firmware guide and easy to miss.

XT UG.PNG

Highlighted

scary thing for me is that page was sitting open in my PDF viewer The same information is alson on page 12 in the XCTL + MCU mode documentation. I drive my XR18 in XCTL mode and push the button to flip to Logic Pro. Being able to do all the things I want from the control surface is a real joy.

Thanks so much!