Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

DN9650+KTDANTE64+Behringer Wing - channel mapping?

Hi there.

Was just using the DN9650+KTDANTE64 for the first time in conjunction with a Behringer Wing to bridge it into a Dante network.

Just a simple question, as I find it a bit confusing: I noticed that from each AES50 cable only the first 24 channels have been mapped to Dante. I did route additional channels on the Wing on the first AES50 output, but they just did not arrive in Dante. I could not find any "routing" or "patch" menu that would change this behaviour. System was running at 48 kHz all the way.

Is this just a hard limitation of the KTDANTE64, or some weird behaviour with the new Wing? Did I miss some option to change that behaviour? Having to use two AES50 ports for the amount of channels that a single AES50 port could handle worked this time as we only had a DL32 attached on the console, thus, two free ports available. In the future I will definitely add a Dante AoIP module to my personal Wing though.

jankoppe1 Contributor - Level 3 2020-01-01

2020-01-01

DN9650+KTDANTE64+Behringer Wing - channel mapping?

Hi there.

Was just using the DN9650+KTDANTE64 for the first time in conjunction with a Behringer Wing to bridge it into a Dante network.

Just a simple question, as I find it a bit confusing: I noticed that from each AES50 cable only the first 24 channels have been mapped to Dante. I did route additional channels on the Wing on the first AES50 output, but they just did not arrive in Dante. I could not find any "routing" or "patch" menu that would change this behaviour. System was running at 48 kHz all the way.

Is this just a hard limitation of the KTDANTE64, or some weird behaviour with the new Wing? Did I miss some option to change that behaviour? Having to use two AES50 ports for the amount of channels that a single AES50 port could handle worked this time as we only had a DL32 attached on the console, thus, two free ports available. In the future I will definitely add a Dante AoIP module to my personal Wing though.

• 0 Kudos
  • 4 Replies
Highlighted
Volunteer Moderator

Re: DN9650+KTDANTE64+Behringer Wing - channel mapping?

If you only get 24 channels then this suggests that the dn9650 operates at 96k.

Are you using the dn9650 as the master clock and set to 48k. If not, then it is my understanding that it will up-sample to 96k.

Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 3

Nope, all settings were at 48K, the AES clock was the master clock (coming from the wing, running at 48K).

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Hey,

I am not sure if the KT9650 is natively 96k, but what i can do is i will check if 9652 is able to do this solution. 

Meaning to say AES50 card and Dante card on 9652. 

I am waiting for my AES50 card to arrive and i will try this out if it works ok? 

Hope to share more and learn more with you guys. 

Cheers! 

Highlighted
Triber

Hi @colino_ltapl  @jankoppe1 ,

The DN9650 will operate at both 48K and 96K.  This was from software version 1.1.0.3, so if the unit is running an earlier version than this, the AES50 ports can only be set to 96K.  At 96K or 48K, each AES50 Port will only support 24 channels bi-directionally.   The maximum number of channels is 72.  The mapping of channels per port inside the DN9650 is 1:1.  The Dante Brooklyn card supports 64 channels at 48K and 32 channels at 96K. The Dante card card be run at 96 or 48K, the DN9650 will down or up sample to what ever the AES50 ports are clocking to and vice versa.

The confusing part, is that as the Wing runs at 48K and each AES50 port will normally support 48 channels bi-directionally, however if you plug in a DN9650, you can only assign 24 bi-directional channels to each of the Wings AES50 ports.  Thus if you want 48 channels, the first 24 are assigned to one AES50 port and the next 24 are assigned to the second AES50 port.

The DN9652 works pretty much the same as the DN9650 except that you can choose the two CM1 cards that will be installed in the unit.  The AES50 CM1 card has two ports on it.  Both ports are used at 96k, each carry 24 channels, giving a maximum channel count of 48.  At 48K, port 1 carries all 48 channels and port 2 can  be used as a redundant port, in which case, if you are connecting to a Wing, then you will only require one AES50 port on the rear of the Wing. Therefore the advantage of using a DN9652 with a Wing, is that you do not lose the second AES50 Port on the rear of the console.

Hope this answers your questions.

Nigel Turner | Triber, Music Tribe If you found my post helpful, go ahead and give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs