Highlighted
Superhero - Level 1

DP48 POE pin out and voltage.

Does anyone know on what pins the cat5 cable carries power to a DP48 POE rj45 port? What voltage is required to power them via that port? The Hub4 manual says the remote power follows the 802.3at spec but it appears there are a few varieties of pin options within that spec, and perhaps with voltage as well? Using pin 4 and 5 (+) and 7 and 8 (-) with 24v dc does not do it. The power supply to the DP48 uses 24V DC. The P16M uses those same pins but with 12v dc and it works fine. Looking for POE injector options as the HUB4 seems to be quite lost at sea.

Thanks for the Accepted Solutions and Kudos! Always appreciated IF duly earned.
GaryHiggins Superhero - Level 1 2020-05-04

2020-05-04

DP48 POE pin out and voltage.

Does anyone know on what pins the cat5 cable carries power to a DP48 POE rj45 port? What voltage is required to power them via that port? The Hub4 manual says the remote power follows the 802.3at spec but it appears there are a few varieties of pin options within that spec, and perhaps with voltage as well? Using pin 4 and 5 (+) and 7 and 8 (-) with 24v dc does not do it. The power supply to the DP48 uses 24V DC. The P16M uses those same pins but with 12v dc and it works fine. Looking for POE injector options as the HUB4 seems to be quite lost at sea.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Superhero - Level 1

Re: DP48 POE pin out and voltage.

EDIT: This section has been edited to include some newer findings. I will continue to do so IF new things are appropriate or helpful to add.

I received my poe devices yesterday and have started to test them. I bought several versions because I was still a little foggy on what would actually work, or if any would. The ones that do not work will get returned asap. I was heartened by my first device test as it was the second least expensive ($9) and did power up the DP48 fine-but it did not pass data, bummer. It’s possible it’s a defective unit but since it uses the 802.3af spec, that is the more likely reason. It also was a 48v unit. Since it provided power just fine, I believe a range is accepted by the DP-probably anything over 44v will power on the DP48 despite it saying 52v. This device is already packed up and ready to be returned! See the link below for background info on power ranges and much more.

https://pinoutguide.com/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

The Hub4 front panel shows that it sends 52v, 25 watts from each port using the 802.3at spec (Thanks again to @Roblof  for pointing me the way). So there are still several other options out there from which to choose. Most of them were difficult to sort out as the specs were difficult to find and/or navigate and not uniform in content. In other words I guess and hope for the best. To further complicate the situation, some claim to support both the 802.3at and the af spec. One reason why I thought that first device above might work ok. As it turned out that device was a switch type of device with but one port.

So on to further attempts. The next device: 

A combo power and poe injector. At about $60, this one listed as an 802.3at device and up to 60v supported. Happy to report it works perfectly! It powers the DP48 easily and passes aes50 data in both directions and is supposedly good for 100m runs. So my immediate need is covered. I can now remotely power my DP48 with just a cat8 (or 5/6/7) cable.

I also bought a third device which is a network type switch that injects power to several devices at once. My thinking, 3-4 DP48’s could be powered by it. It comes with a power supply as well. The power supply part works perfectly, the box itself provided power via the poe port just fine but like the first device would not pass data at all. Item #2 now repacked and set to be returned! *This item may be worth getting money wise just for the power supply, leave the box part stored aside. The price is fair for the supply alone imo. ***It appears POE switches do not work at all*** (thanks Rex)

Passive Injectors. The least expensive item ($7) Is a passive device and works perfectly with the correct power supply, (wide ranges supported!) it comes without any power supply but works with the one above or similar. So I believe it will be fine with any 48-60 watt power supply with the right polarity.

A power supply choice:

This power supply works fine, I used it with the $7 device above, works perfectly. Only drawback is the power plug connector is pretty short and proprietary on one end. Again a decent canidate for a power supply choice to use with passive injectors.

And this passive injector was supposed to go with it

It did NOT work passing aes50 data *(see new info below)* as it came wired with only power to pins 4/5 and 7/8  You need power AND data to those 4 pins. Aes50 uses those pins for passing data, which I now suspect is the upstream part of the bidirectional signal flow. This too will be heading back to its previous home.This one was not really a switch despite multiple ins/outs (It's a multiport passive injector) however without the data and the power on those 4 pins it would not pass aes50 data so not good for DP48 use.

* This device will work for P16 systems!! Important note: ONLY use a 12V dc power supply for P16!!! Tested and works fine. P16 is one directional and the ultranet apparantly uses only pins 1,2,3 and 6 for passing data OR at least it does NOT use 4,6,7 and 8 for P16 data. I know this as the device has no data connection on those 4 pins as stated above but works 100% for P16M's. Interesting.

I received another 8 port injector today which also works 100%. Similar to the one above but this has power and data to pins 4,5,7 and 8. So it will work with aes50 and the DP48. It will require a power supply like the 2 mentioned above. I will probably keep this one, the matching PoE Texas power supply (above) and the 1 port, $7 injector by the same maker. Should be a fairly versatile setup for several possible situations.

That's pretty much it. Summary. You need a power supply that gives at least 48v dc. The Midas Hub sends 52V. I suspect 48-60v is fine. 48v worked for me as did 60,54 and 51v. The injector needs to be Mode B (positive power to pins 4 and 5, negative to pins 7 and 8) and passive.  802.3at spec (capable of providing higher power).The injector ports need to have all pairs "in" connected to all pairs "out" such that both data and power are shared on pins 4,5,7 and 8. AES50 and a DP48 need all 4 twisted pairs connected in and out to work properly.

This info, to the best of my knowledge, is correct although anyone should apply it at their own risk. Correctly described/explained or not, the above devices worked or did not work for me as stated.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 1

Well I found out thanks to RL It uses the 802.3at spec, 52v dc, suspected pins are 4/5 + and 7/8 - with pos post external. neg internal. Have a supply(s) coming in the mail by next week so we shall see, I will update for anyone interested when solved (or not) and powered properly.

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 1

EDIT: This section has been edited to include some newer findings. I will continue to do so IF new things are appropriate or helpful to add.

I received my poe devices yesterday and have started to test them. I bought several versions because I was still a little foggy on what would actually work, or if any would. The ones that do not work will get returned asap. I was heartened by my first device test as it was the second least expensive ($9) and did power up the DP48 fine-but it did not pass data, bummer. It’s possible it’s a defective unit but since it uses the 802.3af spec, that is the more likely reason. It also was a 48v unit. Since it provided power just fine, I believe a range is accepted by the DP-probably anything over 44v will power on the DP48 despite it saying 52v. This device is already packed up and ready to be returned! See the link below for background info on power ranges and much more.

https://pinoutguide.com/Net/poe_pinout.shtml

The Hub4 front panel shows that it sends 52v, 25 watts from each port using the 802.3at spec (Thanks again to @Roblof  for pointing me the way). So there are still several other options out there from which to choose. Most of them were difficult to sort out as the specs were difficult to find and/or navigate and not uniform in content. In other words I guess and hope for the best. To further complicate the situation, some claim to support both the 802.3at and the af spec. One reason why I thought that first device above might work ok. As it turned out that device was a switch type of device with but one port.

So on to further attempts. The next device: 

A combo power and poe injector. At about $60, this one listed as an 802.3at device and up to 60v supported. Happy to report it works perfectly! It powers the DP48 easily and passes aes50 data in both directions and is supposedly good for 100m runs. So my immediate need is covered. I can now remotely power my DP48 with just a cat8 (or 5/6/7) cable.

I also bought a third device which is a network type switch that injects power to several devices at once. My thinking, 3-4 DP48’s could be powered by it. It comes with a power supply as well. The power supply part works perfectly, the box itself provided power via the poe port just fine but like the first device would not pass data at all. Item #2 now repacked and set to be returned! *This item may be worth getting money wise just for the power supply, leave the box part stored aside. The price is fair for the supply alone imo. ***It appears POE switches do not work at all*** (thanks Rex)

Passive Injectors. The least expensive item ($7) Is a passive device and works perfectly with the correct power supply, (wide ranges supported!) it comes without any power supply but works with the one above or similar. So I believe it will be fine with any 48-60 watt power supply with the right polarity.

A power supply choice:

This power supply works fine, I used it with the $7 device above, works perfectly. Only drawback is the power plug connector is pretty short and proprietary on one end. Again a decent canidate for a power supply choice to use with passive injectors.

And this passive injector was supposed to go with it

It did NOT work passing aes50 data *(see new info below)* as it came wired with only power to pins 4/5 and 7/8  You need power AND data to those 4 pins. Aes50 uses those pins for passing data, which I now suspect is the upstream part of the bidirectional signal flow. This too will be heading back to its previous home.This one was not really a switch despite multiple ins/outs (It's a multiport passive injector) however without the data and the power on those 4 pins it would not pass aes50 data so not good for DP48 use.

* This device will work for P16 systems!! Important note: ONLY use a 12V dc power supply for P16!!! Tested and works fine. P16 is one directional and the ultranet apparantly uses only pins 1,2,3 and 6 for passing data OR at least it does NOT use 4,6,7 and 8 for P16 data. I know this as the device has no data connection on those 4 pins as stated above but works 100% for P16M's. Interesting.

I received another 8 port injector today which also works 100%. Similar to the one above but this has power and data to pins 4,5,7 and 8. So it will work with aes50 and the DP48. It will require a power supply like the 2 mentioned above. I will probably keep this one, the matching PoE Texas power supply (above) and the 1 port, $7 injector by the same maker. Should be a fairly versatile setup for several possible situations.

That's pretty much it. Summary. You need a power supply that gives at least 48v dc. The Midas Hub sends 52V. I suspect 48-60v is fine. 48v worked for me as did 60,54 and 51v. The injector needs to be Mode B (positive power to pins 4 and 5, negative to pins 7 and 8) and passive.  802.3at spec (capable of providing higher power).The injector ports need to have all pairs "in" connected to all pairs "out" such that both data and power are shared on pins 4,5,7 and 8. AES50 and a DP48 need all 4 twisted pairs connected in and out to work properly.

This info, to the best of my knowledge, is correct although anyone should apply it at their own risk. Correctly described/explained or not, the above devices worked or did not work for me as stated.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Superhero - Level 3

@GaryHiggins 

That's a good result, Gary. I'm not surprised the network switch didn't work. AES50 does not conform to Ethernet layer 2 so will not pass through any kind of IP network switching or routing.