Contributor - Level 1

Can you bi-amp a standard speaker?

I have a set of 4 ohm speakers and a receiver that is only rated for 8 ohm speakers. The receiver has a bi-amp mode that is passive, meaning it sends the same signal through both amps, it doesn't split the signals into high and low and then amp. reverse phone lookup 

I know I can probably use the 4 ohm speakers with the receiver if I keep pcpartpicker the volume modest, but I also can't see a reason why I can't bi-amp the speaker to divide the current between two amps to create a current draw per amp that is similar to a 8 ohm speaker. nba redditnba reddit

Has anyone tried this?

RahmanAron Contributor - Level 1 2019-09-20

2019-09-20

Can you bi-amp a standard speaker?

I have a set of 4 ohm speakers and a receiver that is only rated for 8 ohm speakers. The receiver has a bi-amp mode that is passive, meaning it sends the same signal through both amps, it doesn't split the signals into high and low and then amp. reverse phone lookup 

I know I can probably use the 4 ohm speakers with the receiver if I keep pcpartpicker the volume modest, but I also can't see a reason why I can't bi-amp the speaker to divide the current between two amps to create a current draw per amp that is similar to a 8 ohm speaker. nba redditnba reddit

Has anyone tried this?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Re: Can you bi-amp a standard speaker?

Hi @RahmanAron ,

Welcome to the community.  Can you post the make/model of your receiver so I can take a look at its specs?  What you are describing as bi-amping isn't my understanding of how bi-amping works. 

If the amp on the receiver wants an 8 ohm load, you could always wire the two speakers in series to get 8 ohms since resistance/impedance adds in series.  Of course, you'd only have one side of your receiver hooked up at that point so that's probably not what you want. 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver