Contributor - Level 2

Ordering TC Electronic Parts

Hello everyone my name is David and I am new here. I recently had a knob break off of a guitar pedal and am looking for a place to order the part to replace it. I already been on TC Electronics Support page as well as replacement parts asking for help and have not had a answer from them. Can anyone guide me on what to do?

David Ordaz Realtor at Remax Innovative Los Angeles, CA
davidordaz88 Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-05

2019-09-05

Ordering TC Electronic Parts

Hello everyone my name is David and I am new here. I recently had a knob break off of a guitar pedal and am looking for a place to order the part to replace it. I already been on TC Electronics Support page as well as replacement parts asking for help and have not had a answer from them. Can anyone guide me on what to do?

• 0 Kudos
  • 13 Replies
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Re: Ordering TC Electronic Parts

Hi David ( @davidordaz88 ), 

Welcome to the community.  Is it just the knob on the top that's broken or is it the stem of the potentiometer that broke off?  Can you post a picture?  I don't suspect the knob itself is anything special so you should be able to find something that fits online.  However, replacing the potentiometer could be a lot more challenging. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

@KenMitchell 

It is the stem that connects to the knob. As you can see on the picture that it is the part that is by my fingers. Would you happen to know where I can get the parts or is it better to get it fixed and if so what would a reasonable price be for this?

Thank you

@davidordaz88 

Hi David, 

Your going to have to unsolder and re-solder a new pot on, assuming you'll be able to find the part.  Take a good look at the body of the part to see if there's any manufacturer name or markings on it.  The B10K on the top isn't very helpful.  That just means it's a 10K ohm pot. 

As an alternative, there's two authorized repair centers in SoCal.  https://www.tcelectronic.com/brand/tcelectronic/store-finder?type=POS&division=CREA#googtrans(en|en)

They might be able to just swap in the entire PCBA for you. 

Hope this helps, 

Ken

If you want "Loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw. --Ivan Beaver
Contributor - Level 2

@KenMitchell 

I see, it does have an @ sign with the name ALPHA on the bottom of it, and  on the side of the pot it has 5D4.

@davidordaz88 

Yes, that's almost certainly Taiwan Alpha Electronic Co Ltd.  

Mouser show 88 parts from Alpha with B10K in the part number but nothing with 5D4.  The 5D4 might be a lot code. 

https://www.mouser.com/Alpha-Taiwan/_/N-1z0zlgn?Keyword=B10K&No=50&FS=True

See if you can find something at Mouser. 

Ken

Contributor - Level 2

@KenMitchell 

Ok now we are getting somewhere. So it looks like this is the part:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alpha-Taiwan/RD701F-20B1-15F-B10K-005?qs=sGAEpiMZZMukHu%252BjC5...

all I would have to do is get this part and have someone unsolder and resolder the part? This is the only one on their page that matches my piece.

@davidordaz88 

Ugh. Except that part has an MOQ of 1000 pcs so you'd have 999 extras in case you break it again. Smiley Sad 

And the part would cost you $2,440. 

It also looks like Mouser is the exclusive distributor for Taiwan Alpha in the US. 

I'd recommend calling one of those two repair centers and seeing what they have to say.  The PCBA number is visible in the silkscreen in your first picture,  P22351-C.

Ken

Contributor - Level 2

@KenMitchell 

Ken, would this be the piece? I noticed this one shows 9mm and the one I was looking at earlier was a 7mm?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-9mm-Alpha-B10K-10K-Linear-Taper-Potentiometer-D-Shaft-Vertical-PC-Mount...

@davidordaz88 

The shaft diameter and length on both is 6mm and 15mm so that is the same.  What's the shaft length on the one on your PCBA? The body diameter on the first one is 7mm and the one on eBay is 9mm.   What's the diameter of the one on your PCBA?  I don't know if that affects the pin spacing or not. 

Ken