Contributor - Level 1

Behringer Xenyx Q502USB (Getting no Power)

Hello, 

I bought a Behringer Xenyx Q502USB from amazon and am having some trouble getting power to it.

I live in New Zealand, so the electrical sockets are different, and i can not plug the power supply straight into the wall. I have tried using an adapter but still didn't get any power. I have plugged it in to my computer and it is being recognised just need to get power to it.

I have been researching a bit and I think what I need is the PSU3-SAA (https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Accessories/Power-Supplies/PSU3-SAA/p/P0ANR?fbclid=Iw...) But it seems like it may cost a bit and take awhile to get to me in NZ, so want to make sure it will fix my problem and would hate to have to wait for so long for it not to work.

So if anyone can confirm or can help me identify the problem that would be greatly appreciated 

Thank you!

AnthonyKny Contributor - Level 1 2020-01-14

2020-01-14

Behringer Xenyx Q502USB (Getting no Power)

Hello, 

I bought a Behringer Xenyx Q502USB from amazon and am having some trouble getting power to it.

I live in New Zealand, so the electrical sockets are different, and i can not plug the power supply straight into the wall. I have tried using an adapter but still didn't get any power. I have plugged it in to my computer and it is being recognised just need to get power to it.

I have been researching a bit and I think what I need is the PSU3-SAA (https://www.behringer.com/Categories/Behringer/Accessories/Power-Supplies/PSU3-SAA/p/P0ANR?fbclid=IwAR2xa5KDTThY6DcFK7HTBF1J4Ch4BvKTz6PHTG53xZHVyoUxE-ZHswPK1Hc#googtrans(en|en)) But it seems like it may cost a bit and take awhile to get to me in NZ, so want to make sure it will fix my problem and would hate to have to wait for so long for it not to work.

So if anyone can confirm or can help me identify the problem that would be greatly appreciated 

Thank you!

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Super Contributor - Level 2

Re: Behringer Xenyx Q502USB (Getting no Power)

Hello @AnthonyKny , welcome to the community.

The PSU3-SAA is shown as the correct power supply for the Q502USB operating in New Zealand. Which model of power supply was delivered with the mixer? If it is the correct voltage for NZ (230V 50Hz) then a plug adapter should work.

The PSU model specified for Europe, UK and Australia is MXEU3 which has a two-pin European mains plug. I believe Amazon NZ purchases are usually shipped from the USA so the mixer may have been supplied with PSU MXUL3 (120V, 60Hz). If so, this would probably have been destroyed if connected directly to 230V. It is also possible that the mixer could have been damaged at the same time. If the mixer was supplied with a USA power supply, you would have good grounds for a refund or replacement from Amazon.

Contributor - Level 1

Hello

Thank you for the detailed and quick reply. 

The Mixer did come with a PSU MXUL3 (120V, 60Hz). I had no idea about the different voltage levels we had in New Zealand. When i plugged it in i didn't hear any spark or any odd noises but  I do believe what you say is true and it must of been damaged, I did have it plugged in to the mixer when plugging it into the wall so it may have been damaged but i'm not %100 sure (is there any way to test it?) I am not sure if Amazon has a dedicated site for New Zealand but I did give them a New Zealand address so it's a bit annoying not getting the correct power supply. Also if i had a microphone plugged in to the mixer would that of been damaged too? Feel a bit silly having it all plugged in at once but i didnt know it could be damaged.  

Thank you again for your help    

@AnthonyKny wrote:

Hello

Thank you for the detailed and quick reply. 

The Mixer did come with a PSU MXUL3 (120V, 60Hz). I had no idea about the different voltage levels we had in New Zealand. When i plugged it in i didn't hear any spark or any odd noises but  I do believe what you say is true and it must of been damaged, I did have it plugged in to the mixer when plugging it into the wall so it may have been damaged but i'm not %100 sure (is there any way to test it?) I am not sure if Amazon has a dedicated site for New Zealand but I did give them a New Zealand address so it's a bit annoying not getting the correct power supply. Also if i had a microphone plugged in to the mixer would that of been damaged too? Feel a bit silly having it all plugged in at once but i didnt know it could be damaged.  

Thank you again for your help    

@AnthonyKny 

The only way to test the mixer is with the correct power supply - which will take time to get. In your position I would get the mixer replaced just in case it has been damaged. I think it is unlikely that a connected mic would be damaged but it is possible. 

Most people would have done what you did with new equipment: Connect inputs and outputs and turn it on. Most power supplies these days work on all normal mains voltages (a.k.a. Universal or Planet Earth) but there are still some that come in 120V and 230V variants. It is always worth a quick check before plugging-in new gear.

The Amazon NZ situation seems a little odd. I would have expected it to be serviced from Australia (same supply voltage and plug) but it apparently isn't. 

Volunteer Moderator

@AnthonyKny wrote:

The Mixer did come with a PSU MXUL3 (120V, 60Hz).     

That PSU would be for North American (Canada, US) power. New Zealand probably is 230V, 50Hz) and therefore that PSU will not work. It probably has not damaged anything. But the output will not be sufficient to power the mixer. I would suggest you contact Amazon and see if they can get the seller to send the correct PSU.

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!

@Paul_Vannatto wrote:

@AnthonyKny wrote:

The Mixer did come with a PSU MXUL3 (120V, 60Hz).     

That PSU would be for North American (Canada, US) power. New Zealand probably is 230V, 50Hz) and therefore that PSU will not work. It probably has not damaged anything. But the output will not be sufficient to power the mixer. I would suggest you contact Amazon and see if they can get the seller to send the correct PSU.

@Paul_Vannatto 

I beg to differ, Paul. My experience is that connecting a PSU designed for 120V 60Hz to a 230V 50Hz supply frequently causes the magic smoke(*) to escape. At the least, it would usually take-out one or more internal safety fuses. Sadly, electronic components often die before the fuses break. 

As a wise man once said: Experience is directly proportional to equipment ruined. 

(*) Magic smoke is what makes electronic gadgets work. If it escapes, the gadgets don't work anymore.

Volunteer Moderator

@RexBeckett wrote:

I beg to differ, Paul. My experience is that connecting a PSU designed for 120V 60Hz to a 230V 50Hz supply frequently causes the magic smoke(*) to escape. 

Yes you are correct for the most part. It depends on how the PSU is designed. Some have magic smoke buffers. 

Paul Vannatto, Volunteer Forum Administrator and Moderator. Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution!