Contributor - Level 2

GO XLR

Hello,

I just found the Go XLR on a Linus Tech Tips video and it exactly what I was looking for to upgrade my audio equipment/set-up. I just have one question about the product.

My headphone has a 6,3mm connector and i like to change that for a balanced XLR. It has 300 ohms impedance. I can drive it over 3,5mm through an adapter but it just sounds terrible. So i was looking for a good pre amp/dec combo to ad.

But the Go XLR dont have a digital or analog output that i can use to connect to the amp, am i correct? It only has the 3,5mm jack for audio out? There are 2 Digital connectors for signal in. USB and optical.

Can i use one of these for audio out in some way? Or is there an other way around in the software/settings that allows me to controll the usb/optical output to my amp over the Go XLR?

Would be helpfull to know this before buying it. 

WG

Maurise Contributor - Level 2 2019-04-19

2019-04-19

GO XLR

Hello,

I just found the Go XLR on a Linus Tech Tips video and it exactly what I was looking for to upgrade my audio equipment/set-up. I just have one question about the product.

My headphone has a 6,3mm connector and i like to change that for a balanced XLR. It has 300 ohms impedance. I can drive it over 3,5mm through an adapter but it just sounds terrible. So i was looking for a good pre amp/dec combo to ad.

But the Go XLR dont have a digital or analog output that i can use to connect to the amp, am i correct? It only has the 3,5mm jack for audio out? There are 2 Digital connectors for signal in. USB and optical.

Can i use one of these for audio out in some way? Or is there an other way around in the software/settings that allows me to controll the usb/optical output to my amp over the Go XLR?

Would be helpfull to know this before buying it. 

WG

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies

Accepted Solutions
Contributor - Level 3

Re: GO XLR

Hiya! Great question.

So what I think I understand the root of your question to be seems to be twofold.

1. Can GoXLR power 300ohm headphones?
  2. How can I use an amplifier with GoXLR to get the most quality out of my headphones that GoXLR probably isn't made to power on its own?

Generally for higher impedence headphones, users will go GoXLR > 3.5mm cable (sometimes 3.5mm to RCA depending on the amp) > Amp > Headphones. We've tried it, it works generally well, though setting up the gain staging can be a bit tricky.

It is worth noting that you shouldn't have any audio quality loss between 3.5mm and 6.5mm connections with an adapter.

Community & Social Media - TC-Helicon - GoXLR
Trusted Contributor - Level 3

@Maurise . While headphone signal and Balanced cables (XLR & 1/4 inch) both have three conductors, They are very different. The headphones are Left (L) and Right (R) connected to a common (Sleeve); whereas, The XLR is the Signal and that same Signal 180° out of phase. When the two Signal are diffentially combined, noise common to both lines are cancelled.  If you run a head phone signal into an XLR input, the Left will be summed out of phase with the right leaving you only the difference between the two (L-R) which is rarely what most people want (it doesn't sound good). The solution is to run the Left in one channel and the right in a seperate channel, Or sum them together first. 

The GO XLR has the line out (on a 3.5mm jack— presumably a -10dBv signal) and a 3.5mm headphone jack.  

Contributor - Level 3

Hiya! Great question. If I'm understanding you correctly, you're worried about driving a pair of 300ohm headphones with GoXLR as well as concerned that adapting a 1/4" headphone output to a 1/8" connection will cause some degradation in quality.
There are a few ways to address this. First, though, there shouldn't be a quality difference between 1/4" and 1/8" - let alone one that seems this noticeable. I would maybe check that the adapter is okay. We have also seen users put an amp behind GoXLR. So it goes Headphone Output > 3.5mm (to RCA in some cases) > amp > headphones. Either of these solutions should work.
We've tested GoXLR on popular 250ohm headphones and it is usually above the loudness threshold, but 300ohm would likely be pushing it, so an amp is probably a good solution to look into. Hope this helps!
Contributor - Level 3

Hiya! Great question.

So what I think I understand the root of your question to be seems to be twofold.

1. Can GoXLR power 300ohm headphones?
  2. How can I use an amplifier with GoXLR to get the most quality out of my headphones that GoXLR probably isn't made to power on its own?

Generally for higher impedence headphones, users will go GoXLR > 3.5mm cable (sometimes 3.5mm to RCA depending on the amp) > Amp > Headphones. We've tried it, it works generally well, though setting up the gain staging can be a bit tricky.

It is worth noting that you shouldn't have any audio quality loss between 3.5mm and 6.5mm connections with an adapter.

Contributor - Level 2

@DaveMorrison jea, but not the point. the sennheiser headphones have the 1/4" and 4 pin XLR cable in the box, so thats not the problem.

To make it more clear, i have:

1. PC with USB and 1 optical 

2. GO XLR

3. Sennheiser HDV 820

4. Sennheiser HD 800S

Is it possible to controll the HDV over the GO XLR? The HDV has following connectors:

2x 3 pin XLR in (R and L cause' balanced)

2x UNBAL R and L

Optical

USB

Coax

2x XLR BAL out

in the front we have 3 pin XLR, 1/4", 4 pin XLR balanced or what ever, 2 sony pentacon. Its all for headphones so doesn't matter.

Is there a way to connect it directly to the GO XLR or just through the software if I run it over the PC with USB/optical or not? I mean in theory there is allways the 3,5mm headphone jack and line out/in which i could split into something thats hopefully works with the HDV like the UNBAL. The Question is if and how much the sound suffers. 

Trusted Contributor - Level 3

Sorry for misunderstanding your problem. Since the GO XLR doesn't have balanced audio output or dedicated digital out, your choice seem to be exactly what you thought. Do a software "split" for the digital signal (latency might be a problem for your application) or use either the analog outs. Only your ears can tell you if it's good enough. 

Good Luck.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Well I think I just need to try it out. Thanks for the help @DaveMorrison@kickedtripod. I will start with something like https://www.amazon.com/TISINO-Stereo-Splitter-Unbalanced-Breakout/dp/B07DMWZPML?th=1 with higher quality. As long as the signal is good, the amp should handle the rest.