Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

"Tinny", "Fish-bowl" sound on line-out.

I have a GOXLR and on my stream it sounds very "tinny". I have a dual PC stream, and I run my video through to my streaming PC through an elgato HD60S. My audio however is run through the line-out 3.5mm jack to my streaming laptop. You can hear what it sounds like at: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/537182738

I record on OBS on my gaming PC and everything sounds fine. There are no filters or anything on the OBS on the streaming PC. It's just a naked input. I'm not really sure where to go here. I can try NDI but I'd rather keep my setup how it is, since it would require me to use my gaming PC to change my scenes etc, which defeats the purpose for me sort of.

dils Contributor - Level 2 2020-02-12

2020-02-12

"Tinny", "Fish-bowl" sound on line-out.

I have a GOXLR and on my stream it sounds very "tinny". I have a dual PC stream, and I run my video through to my streaming PC through an elgato HD60S. My audio however is run through the line-out 3.5mm jack to my streaming laptop. You can hear what it sounds like at: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/537182738

I record on OBS on my gaming PC and everything sounds fine. There are no filters or anything on the OBS on the streaming PC. It's just a naked input. I'm not really sure where to go here. I can try NDI but I'd rather keep my setup how it is, since it would require me to use my gaming PC to change my scenes etc, which defeats the purpose for me sort of.

• 0 Kudos
  • 6 Replies
Highlighted
Valued Contributor - Level 1

Re: "Tinny", "Fish-bowl" sound on line-out.

Hello @dils , welcome to the community.

How is the audio feed connected to the laptop? The sound that you describe can result from connecting an unbalanced stereo source to a balanced mono input. This causes one stereo side to be subtracted from the other - leaving only the stereo difference. The resulting sound lacks low-frequency content and sounds weirdly spacial. You can usually fix the problem by using different cables or adapters to split the stereo sides.

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

It goes from the "line-out" from the GoXLR to a 3.5mm microphone audio jack on my streaming laptop. For reference, my streaming laptop is an ASUS ROG Strix II.

It's a single wire. What kind of cable could alleviate this?

Highlighted
Valued Contributor - Level 1

@dils wrote:

It goes from the "line-out" from the GoXLR to a 3.5mm microphone audio jack on my streaming laptop. For reference, my streaming laptop is an ASUS ROG Strix II.

It's a single wire. What kind of cable could alleviate this?

@dils 

I believe that the audio jack on the laptop carries mic and headphone signals on a four-pole jack. This could be the problem. The first step is to split the mic and headphone connectors with a cable like this. That may be sufficient but if not, you could split the stereo from the GOXLR with a cable like this and connect one side to the mic input of the other cable with a simple mono 3.5mm cable like this one. No guarantees but it may be worth trying.

Another (and better) approach is to add a stereo audio input to your laptop with a USB Audio Interface and connect the output from the GOXLR with a Stereo Splitter Cable. 

Contributor - Level 3

Can you provide screenshots of your OBS audio settings (make sure to unhide all sources from your audio mixer) and also a link to your laptop so I can do some research on the input connection?

I also see you're in our Discord, it may be easier to provide that information there. Just tag @kickedtripod (and make sure to mention in your comment that I said it was okay, since our MVPs will refer you to the tech support rules lol).

Another thing to check is to plug your headphoens directly into the Line Out of your GoXLR. If it doesn't sound tinny there, that means we likely need to troubleshoot the cable, the audio input, or something in the settings on your streaming PC. It definitely sounds like it's coming in over mono.

Community & Social Media - TC-Helicon - GoXLR
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I don't currently have my streaming laptop, but I will definitely do that. I actually just ordered the cables from the previous suggestion.

It sounds fine if I plug my headphones into "line-out" and it sounded fine. Thanks for your help!

If I do provide the screenshot, I will send it over on discord. 

Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Just replying to this thread to state that the 3.5mm to 2 RCA and audio interface worked for me. You can mark this "solved" or closed. 

For anyone that has this problem, it seems that the mono/stereo was an issue. 

Thanks