Top Solution Authors
Contributor - Level 2

Afterglow Chorus Pedal

I bought one and I think its faulty. Playing thru the effects loop and it distorts when I strum. That can't be right can it? Anyone got any ideas? 

Rufus1969 Contributor - Level 2 2019-09-16

2019-09-16

Afterglow Chorus Pedal

I bought one and I think its faulty. Playing thru the effects loop and it distorts when I strum. That can't be right can it? Anyone got any ideas? 

• 0 Kudos
  • 5 Replies
Highlighted
Regular Contributor - Level 3

Re: Afterglow Chorus Pedal

Sounds like your FX loop might be too hot for the Afterglow.

Try plugging your guitar directly into the Afterglow, going straight to the front end of the amp, on a clean sound. If it stays clean even with hard strumming, it's the FX loop.

Check if your FX loop has a level setting (something like -10dBV / +4dBU), and if it does, use the lower one.

Hope this helps. Smiley Wink

Contributor - Level 2

Hi and thanks for the tips. Just tried at a lower setting on the loop and that doesn't seem to work. Also straight thru from the guitar and that doesn't either. Sad. I guess it's back to the shop. 

Contributor - Level 2

So back it went. Money back but I am somewhat disappointed. The fella in the shop said these cheaper pedals can do that, ie distort. Well it's not fit for purpose is it then!

Regular Contributor - Level 3

That's weird. I have 3 of that series of pedals, and only one of them distorts - but that's the Tube Pilot, so it's supposed to 

Both my The Prophet delay and 3rd Dimension chorus are really amazing, and very clean sounding. Maybe you got a dud?

Triber

Hi.

I wonder which level you were playing into the pedal?
Humbuckers, active pickups or low output single coils?

The Afterglow Chorus was designed as a subtle Chorus with a "vintage" flavour (if you will). Not Hi-Fi at all. 
This means that the signal flow through the pedal can be "overdriven" if the input levels get too much for it.
The overdrive/distortion is not due to the price of the pedal nor due to tolerances from Afterglow to Afterglow. It was simply designed like this.

I hope you have found a Chorus pedal that better suits your needs,
Best Regards,
Lars

Lars Frederiksen | Triber, Music Tribe Community Guidelines | FAQs