Top Solution Authors
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Quintessence - clipping?

Hi,

I used the Quintessence with a synthesizer (Behringer Model D) and noticed something like a clipping noise mostly every time I triggered a note (it's mostly noticeable with lower notes) but in bypass the sound comes through clear. No amp was used, the output went directly in a mixing console or Multitracker.

I ordered a second device because I thought it could propably be a defective device but on the new one the same occured.

I updated the firmware, tried it with lower volumes on the synth, used both outs (high / low) but nothing. I truly like the sound but that clipping noise makes it completely useless for me.

Can someone confirm the clipping noise? Is this a known issue or is it because of the way of functioning?

btw...I also have a Brainwaves and it works flawless without such an issue

thanks

beefcake Contributor - Level 1 2020-05-20

2020-05-20

Quintessence - clipping?

Hi,

I used the Quintessence with a synthesizer (Behringer Model D) and noticed something like a clipping noise mostly every time I triggered a note (it's mostly noticeable with lower notes) but in bypass the sound comes through clear. No amp was used, the output went directly in a mixing console or Multitracker.

I ordered a second device because I thought it could propably be a defective device but on the new one the same occured.

I updated the firmware, tried it with lower volumes on the synth, used both outs (high / low) but nothing. I truly like the sound but that clipping noise makes it completely useless for me.

Can someone confirm the clipping noise? Is this a known issue or is it because of the way of functioning?

btw...I also have a Brainwaves and it works flawless without such an issue

thanks

Highlighted
Triber Moderator

Re: Quintessence - clipping?

The Toneprint pedals input stage are desigmed to work with instrument levels and not with hot line levels your synth outputs. Our converters are very robust, but of course you can clip them with a full blown line signal like a eg 3 osc Lead sound from the D with heavy modulation and twangy filter envelope modulation (which is roughly 20 dB higher than your averag guitar instrument level)

You have to either reduce the output of your Model D to avoid clipping or use a Re DI box to attenuate the  line output level of the Model D down to instrument level

best regards, 
Mike

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs