Top Solution Authors
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Sub n up mini

Hi all,

I have a sub n up mini. But what I now realise is that rather than having an octave above or below what I am looking for is the same note being played. I know the Brainwave pedal has the unison feature but that is too much level for what I need. Does the editing software allow to put the unison note in there?

Thanks in advance Richard

Richard Wollny
RW_Bass Contributor - Level 2 2019-11-06

2019-11-06

Sub n up mini

Hi all,

I have a sub n up mini. But what I now realise is that rather than having an octave above or below what I am looking for is the same note being played. I know the Brainwave pedal has the unison feature but that is too much level for what I need. Does the editing software allow to put the unison note in there?

Thanks in advance Richard

• 0 Kudos
  • 8 Replies
Triber Moderator

Re: Sub n up mini

Hi Richard,

the Sub'n Up and mini versions are classic octavers and can only do fixed octave transposition, so it is not possible to do unisono/ ADT (automated double tracking)  sounds.

Both our Brainwaves Pitch shifter  and Quintessence Harmoniser can do unisono sounds with up to 2 extra voices that can be individually detuned (up or down). Brainwaves has a dedicated Detune mode in which Voice 1 and Voice 2 intervals don't work in semitones/octaves, but detune the signal up to 50 cents up/or down.
Our Mimic pedal steps int the same area, but i like the brainwaves better for this. Mimic adds also random timing variations and not just detunes the signal, which is more subtle.

brainwaves detune.PNG

We have a great Dual detune toneprint template available where the basic amount of detuning can be set via the 2 voice pots , but via MASH switch you can dynamically change the detune amount, which i really like and has become my standard application. This works also great with other instruments like synthesizers and keys.

double detune.PNG

With best regards from the TC tribers,

Mike

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Contributor - Level 2

Hi,

Thnaks for that.

It is funny but I want a really simple pedal... 2 knobs Dry and Unison or the the same note, created in the same way an octaver does but in the same pitch. 

The Brainwave is too much pedal in a box and I dont need that fuctionality, and the mimic is very close delay so a copy of your sound.

What I don't understand is why no manudaturer does Dry, 1 down Octave synthed, Unison Synthed, 1 up Octave synth. Simple. Cant be that difficult Smiley Happy

Cheers! Smiley Happy

Richard Wollny
Triber Moderator

Octavers like the sub'n up and classic ones are designed to shift the signals in octaves and use a different processing algorithm compared to a pitch shifter that is not suited for microshifting. classic octaver achieve
the transposed octaves by using flip flops to create a square wave of the input signal at 1/2 or 1/4 of input frequency and due to nature of square wave have a buzzy, synth like tone. A unison sound / micro detuning would just not sound very natural with a classic octaver. So, if you look for a product that does Detuning/microshifting + can work as an octaver, a "real" pitch shifter is much better suited for the task.

Best regards,

Mike

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs
Contributor - Level 2

Hi!

Thant answers the question, but rather creates a problem on my board Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Richard

Richard Wollny
Triber Moderator

Hi Richard,

you should see it as a challenge instead. and one that can be solved

The Brainwaves with it's two voices can give you both an nice sounding octaver(up to 2 octaves up or down) + a detune effect in classic Pitch shift mode.Voice 2 needs to be set to "custom" , so that you can do microshifting below one semitone for unison sound. When bypassing the FX, you will always toggle both Octaver  (voice 1) and unison (voice 2) , but if you eg don't want either octaver or unison to be active at the same time, you can also use the MASH switch (pressure sensor in footswitch) to control FX level of octaver or unison FX dynamically (eg unison or octaver are only active as long as you hold down the footswitch + can also alter detuning amount .(up to 3 parameters, each ith its own parameter curve can be assigned to MASH)

octasonic.PNG

Have a nice weekend and best regards,

Mike

Contributor - Level 2

Hi what I was actually looking for was for the unison not to copied sound but s sythn sound like the sound in the octave above or below. a bit like the mono synth sound in other manufactures multi effects.

Just a quick question on the sub n up. does the sofware allow you to put effects like swell on the octave signals?

I still have tht sub n up.

Richard Wollny
Triber Moderator

No, sub'n Up does not have a swell feature 

Contributor - Level 2

Hi Mike.

Together with the Helix Phaser does the job!

Cheers!

Richard Wollny