Top Solution Authors
Contributor - Level 1

TC Electronic Iron Curtain Noise Gate - Toggle Switch

Hello!

I recently purchased the TC Electronic Iron Curtain Noise Gate and, at least in every description that I've read, it states that there is a Toggle Switch that allows for the user to choose between muting signal completely or reducing unwanted noise. Is that something that is located inside of the pedal's chassis or am I missing something else?

Jallenackerman Contributor - Level 1 2019-11-19

2019-11-19

TC Electronic Iron Curtain Noise Gate - Toggle Switch

Hello!

I recently purchased the TC Electronic Iron Curtain Noise Gate and, at least in every description that I've read, it states that there is a Toggle Switch that allows for the user to choose between muting signal completely or reducing unwanted noise. Is that something that is located inside of the pedal's chassis or am I missing something else?

Accepted Solutions
Triber Moderator

Re: TC Electronic Iron Curtain Noise Gate - Toggle Switch

Hey @Jallenackerman,
Woah you're right!  I'm a little out of my element here commenting on TC Electronic products, but I actually own this pedal on my gigging bass pedalboard so your post caught my eye.  Over the weekend I did some digging and found nothing online about this feature, so I opened up my pedal...Iron Curtain Guts.jpg

Unfortunately now post-surgery, I can assure you there's no extra switch inside the Iron Curtain.  Feel free to check yourself though, there are no warranty seals so you can open up your pedal pretty easily.

Looking at the website, there's a bullet point that says "Toggle switch lets you choose between muting signal completely or reducing unwanted noise"

Looking at the Product Information Document (in the "Downloads" section), I see the exact same text about the "switch" is in there too.

So what's up with that?  From my experience at TC Helicon, I think I've got an idea of what happened here.  The Product Information Document is created quite early in the product's life, sometimes predating the actual design of the product itself, and later the webpage typically takes text from the PID.  I think what happened here is the idea of a mute/reduce "Toggle switch" never actually made it into the product, but the text still carried over from that ideation PID onto the website.

Sorry to say I don't believe the Iron Curtain is capable of a full-on mute mode, but just the default noise-reduction mode (which has been great for me and my high-gain bass).  I'm going to pass this on to our web team and hopefully have that incorrect bullet point removed from the pedal's page.  Thank you for pointing out this discrepancy, and hopefully your Iron Curtain is still just as useful to you as it is to me despite not having this extra feature.  Cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

View solution in original post

Triber Moderator

Re: TC Electronic Iron Curtain Noise Gate - Toggle Switch

Hey @Jallenackerman,
Woah you're right!  I'm a little out of my element here commenting on TC Electronic products, but I actually own this pedal on my gigging bass pedalboard so your post caught my eye.  Over the weekend I did some digging and found nothing online about this feature, so I opened up my pedal...Iron Curtain Guts.jpg

Unfortunately now post-surgery, I can assure you there's no extra switch inside the Iron Curtain.  Feel free to check yourself though, there are no warranty seals so you can open up your pedal pretty easily.

Looking at the website, there's a bullet point that says "Toggle switch lets you choose between muting signal completely or reducing unwanted noise"

Looking at the Product Information Document (in the "Downloads" section), I see the exact same text about the "switch" is in there too.

So what's up with that?  From my experience at TC Helicon, I think I've got an idea of what happened here.  The Product Information Document is created quite early in the product's life, sometimes predating the actual design of the product itself, and later the webpage typically takes text from the PID.  I think what happened here is the idea of a mute/reduce "Toggle switch" never actually made it into the product, but the text still carried over from that ideation PID onto the website.

Sorry to say I don't believe the Iron Curtain is capable of a full-on mute mode, but just the default noise-reduction mode (which has been great for me and my high-gain bass).  I'm going to pass this on to our web team and hopefully have that incorrect bullet point removed from the pedal's page.  Thank you for pointing out this discrepancy, and hopefully your Iron Curtain is still just as useful to you as it is to me despite not having this extra feature.  Cheers!

Testing engineer at TC Helicon, MUSIC Tribe. Our Support Team is always available for more urgent assistance.

View solution in original post