Highlighted

Bugera 1960 infinium fizzy harsh on ears

Contributor - Level 2
My bugera 1960 infinium is harsh on the ears and breaks up way early at 9 o clock. It’s still super load. Could this be a tube fault or transformer?
Tags (1)
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Bugera 1960 infinium fizzy harsh on ears

Volunteer Moderator
Is this a new amp or have you had it for a while?
Robert Lofgren | Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos and/or mark it as a solution!

Contributor - Level 2
I bought it second hand.

Fizzy

Contributor - Level 1
Will Drewry;149542 wrote:
I bought it second hand.

I find my 3 months old infinium has great tone and no fizz problem when using through speaker.

When using it as a DI for recording (AKAI EIE PRO through reaper) I have to cut treble by about 1/3 to avoid fizz (and that's with no effects in DAW)

Contributor - Level 3
Mark Thiessen;150429 wrote:
I find my 3 months old infinium has great tone and no fizz problem when using through speaker.

When using it as a DI for recording (AKAI EIE PRO through reaper) I have to cut treble by about 1/3 to avoid fizz (and that's with no effects in DAW)

This is 'normal' and a well known issue for just about any guitar amp; Whatever the design (schematics or technology) of the amp, a good 80% of the amp tone comes from ... the speaker. Typical guitar speakers cut above 5 or 6kHz, and below 80 or 100Hz. Furthermore their magnetic/mechanical design is made such a way they will naturally 'compress'/slow themselves by a lack of magnetic field when the speaker membrane excursion is too large. In REAPER (or other DAW) you need EQ to shape the channel response to fit that speaker curve as best as you can.

Some later guitar amps (for ex: LINE 6 series V, not earlier versions) do that internally so you get about the same tone through speakers or line out.

-Patrick