Guitar

This board is dedicated to the wonderful six-stringed instrument that is the guitar. Talk about playing techniques, your favorite gear, artists, bands and more!

Ditto X2 - Can't import .wav

Contributor - Level 2
This is weird. I've emailed support and they are working with me, but the issue has not been resolved so I thought I would post here as well.

I can connect the Ditto X2 via USB, open the track folder, drop in an .mp3 and disconnect it.
The Ditto X2 light flashes red while converting the .mp3 and when ready flashes green.
The imported and converted backing track play back fine.

Now, I erase that and record my own loop. I export it and it appears in the Track folder when connected to a computer via USB.

Here is where it all goes wrong.

I copy over a previously saved .wav file into the Track folder, umount the Ditto from the computer and disconnect the USB cable.

The Ditto LED does not flash. There is no green light. The track is not imported and does not play.

I reconnect via USB and find the track folder is empty.

I've tried this on three different computers, OSX, Windows and Linux. Results are always the same.

I have never been able to import any .wav file (mine or the free star jam downloads).

Any .wav file placed in the Track folder disappears as soon as you disconnect.

And of course the super weird thing is importing and converting .mp3 files works perfectly.

So: Has anyone been able to re-import a previously saved loop in .wav format? What am I missing here?
Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Ditto X2 - Can't import .wav

Contributor - Level 2
Well, I can convert an exported .wav files (or the free Star Jam backing Tracks) to .mp3 with:

ffmpeg -i TRACK.WAV track.mp3

Which the Ditto X2 can then import, convert and play back.

Sometime it corrupts it. If so make liberal use of deleting everything (hold export switch in up position for 5 seconds), and a full reset per http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries/39311176-Ditto-X2-How-to-do-a-factory-reset

Having to convert exported .wav to .mp3 so the ditto can re-convert them back is a huge pain.

Wow do I forsee a firmeware upgrade coming, and a lot of frustrated Ditto2 owners.
Highlighted

Contributor - Level 2
I had the same issues. Very frustrating. Underwhelming sound file support to say the least. I mean OK, Logic will not bend backwards, but c'mon...it's 2014.

So, we are told to download an app (soundconverter) to make do. Fine. How's 500K or below for size limit, otherwise you gotta pay up for the app? (fail). So, I had to go searching for some other app. Ok, not a problem...

Then, you drop into Logic. It might or might not work. Then, you try to re-convert...Yeah, that's insane for lack of a more suitable term. Haven't tried on Windows, but I'm sure it won't matter.

In short, sound file support and conversion protocol should definitely be baked a little longer. Frustrating and disappointing. One more question: How does exactly recording (looping) via an audio interface work? Just curious...I tried with my Focusrite 2i2. I could not figure it out.

Cheers, and good luck to us all.

Contributor - Level 2
Update: Currently many of the Star Jam tracks on the website are in 48K format. These will not work and need to be converted to 44.1K before the Ditto X2 will import them. Kind of amazing this little point got missed, but it will certainly be a show stopper for anyone trying to use them. (TC electronic support has been notified and said this issue would be directed to the dev team.)

As for re-importing your own tracks, the only method I've ever been able to use is to convert the exported TRACK.WAV file into another 44.1K wav file (or .mp3). Yes, that sounds silly - but it works. I have never otherwise been able to successfully re-import a saved track.

I've written a blog post on how to resolve the import issues I have been experiencing:

http://www.timelordz.com/blog/2014/03/ditto-x2-track-import-failure/

Triber Moderator
Hi Relative prime, thanks for the note.

We'll fix the format issue with the star jam tracks.
TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs

Contributor - Level 2
RelativePrime wrote:
Update: Currently many of the Star Jam tracks on the website are in 48K format. These will not work and need to be converted to 44.1K before the Ditto X2 will import them. Kind of amazing this little point got missed, but it will certainly be a show stopper for anyone trying to use them. (TC electronic support has been notified and said this issue would be directed to the dev team.)

As for re-importing your own tracks, the only method I've ever been able to use is to convert the exported TRACK.WAV file into another 44.1K wav file (or .mp3). Yes, that sounds silly - but it works. I have never otherwise been able to successfully re-import a saved track.

I've written a blog post on how to resolve the import issues I have been experiencing:

http://www.timelordz.com/blog/2014/03/ditto-x2-track-import-failure/

RelativePrime, thx for the info. I was going to try noodling with the Star Jam tracks I downloaded, so I appreciate the tip. For the record I downloaded a media converter from cnetdownloads and convert the .wav to .mp3 before downloading to the X2, like you mentioned above.

Triber Moderator
The star jam Loops will be reuploaded in 44.1kHz, so you'lll be able to just drag and drop them to your Ditto Track folder without converting them first.

should be done by tomorrow.
TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs

Contributor - Level 1
The solution for me on an Apple laptop has been to (re)convert files using MediaHuman Audio Converter (free) - other methods of conversion...Audacity, iTunes, QuickTime didn't work on my particular system. I've been using aiff and wav files - note that, as others have found, the conversion step is necessary even when the input and output formats are identical. I've not been able to detect any difference at all between the pre-converted and post-converted files, so although this is a solution it's still a mysterious issue.

Contributor - Level 1
I created a loop this morning and saved it to my laptop. The DITTO Stereo doesn't offer a format choice and seems to save files as WAV and AIF. I then cleared the loop and tried to import the loop but IT DOESN'T WORK!!! I tried for hours. Luckily, I found this message. I converted it to MP3 and it worked. So, the DITTO looper CAN'T import it's own loops!!! Why not? It's clearly a bug. Is there a fix?

Contributor - Level 2
I can confirm this issue still exists even on the latest beta firmware.

Using OSX, there does not seem to be anything that I can do to get tracks to transfer from the computer to the X4. I borrowed a windows computer, and the tracks that I had previoulsy pulled off of the x4 transfered back on, and worked, effortlessly.

Its hard to believe that TC can't make a product capable of file transfer with OSX. But there it is.
Conversation Stats
  • Replies
  • Views
  • Kudos Given
  • Contributors