Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

G-Major with Bass Guitar - Any users?

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a G-Major to run effects for my 5 string bass guitars. Are there any users out there that can tell me if this processor will be a good fit?

In particular, I would like to know if the tuner will be functional for a 5 string. I know it has a "bass" mode, but sometimes that is thrown in just to throw it in, and can sometimes not be fully functional and accurate for a five string.

Also, is the compression in the G-major good for bass applications?

Pitch Shift accuracy w/ bass? Also Chorus, Phaser, Flange - these are the primary effects I would like to apply to my bass with this rack - how does it sound w/ Bass?

If you've used this processor with a bass, particularly a 5 string, I would love to hear any info or insight you have.

Thanks.
Tags (1)
BassUser Contributor - Level 1 2008-09-29

2008-09-29

G-Major with Bass Guitar - Any users?

Hi,

I am considering purchasing a G-Major to run effects for my 5 string bass guitars. Are there any users out there that can tell me if this processor will be a good fit?

In particular, I would like to know if the tuner will be functional for a 5 string. I know it has a "bass" mode, but sometimes that is thrown in just to throw it in, and can sometimes not be fully functional and accurate for a five string.

Also, is the compression in the G-major good for bass applications?

Pitch Shift accuracy w/ bass? Also Chorus, Phaser, Flange - these are the primary effects I would like to apply to my bass with this rack - how does it sound w/ Bass?

If you've used this processor with a bass, particularly a 5 string, I would love to hear any info or insight you have.

Thanks.

• 0 Kudos
  • 2 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: G-Major with Bass Guitar - Any users?

Hi, BassUser:
Nice questions. I share them with you. Recently I careful compared the B-string sounds through a Raven Lab PHA-1 (analog only headphone preamp) and through a Digitech RP-14D (44.1KHz/24bit)'s clean channel. And I definitely heard the difference. The RP-14D output something in the high frequency band. I think the AD and DA converters matter in this case, but I sort of suspect that this is an original sin of all the digital rigs. 32 bit AD/DA converters will definitely help, but I guess that's not compliant with the current S/PDIF protocol.

The problem may not show much for guitars, but low B is 29 Hz so its harmonies are easy to perceive. Hate it or not.

If you have a chance to test it out, definitely show us the result here.

The Lexicon MX400 seems to be in the same class. The soft knee compressor on it is very intriguing. I'm poundering between them.

Cheers,
immyownpet
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 1

Re: G-Major with Bass Guitar - Any users?

Hi.. for anyone that comes across this post. The G Major 2 is a great unit for guitar and can provide some nice natural sounds with the bass guitar, but don't waste your money.

Although the G Major 2 is advertised as capable of bass tuning, the tuner is not actually able to pick up the 5th string. Likewise with many of the other effects. All goes well until you hit the 5th string and then it's a hit and miss affair.

I bought mine new after having been advised by TC that it would handle my bass well. When it didn't, TC support basically washed their hands of the problem and that really peaved me.

Their loss... I ended up buying a Markbass F1 head instead of their RH450, sold the G Major 2 in favour of a Boss VF 1 and now I have a really nice rig capable of producing all the sounds I want. This is one little black duck that will think carefully before buying any more TC products in the future.

If you are looking for a nice flanger and chorus for your bass, and something that looks good in your rack, then the G major 2 will do the job. But it's alot to pay for just that. The VF 1 does a much better job for a fraction of the price.

Cheers