Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

G-System Ground Loop Hum

Hello,

I just bought the Ebtech Hum Eliminator to get rid of the ground loop hum.
So I "isolated" the effect loop with this device. But there is still a slight hum.

I found out that the problem ist the cable from the G's Insert Send to the Amp Input.
A soon I use a Palmer PLI01 or similar here, the hum is gone, but tone suffers.

So I used a high quality balanced cable. No result, still hum.
Even my Monster cable won't work and one of my Planet Waves cable actually increases the hum.

Accidently, i took a cheap, short patch cable and suddenly hum is gone.

Although I use the G's brain in a small rack, this cable is way too short and so i was serarching my whole inventory for the perfect one. Worse luck I didn't found any.

So I took a 3 m unshielded speaker cable and- believe it or not - it works.

Laird !!! Whats wrong????

Knut
Tags (1)
Keybi Contributor - Level 2 2008-10-07

2008-10-07

G-System Ground Loop Hum

Hello,

So I "isolated" the effect loop with this device. But there is still a slight hum.

I found out that the problem ist the cable from the G's Insert Send to the Amp Input.

Even my Monster cable won't work and one of my Planet Waves cable actually increases the hum.

Although I use the G's brain in a small rack, this cable is way too short and so i was serarching my whole inventory for the perfect one. Worse luck I didn't found any.

Knut

Contributor - Level 2

Re: G-System Ground Loop Hum

Keybi wrote:
Hello,

Knut

You probably has a mild ground loop formed on the Insert Send --> Amp Input connection. The use of an unshielded cable meant that there was no shield through which a loop could form - since ground loops form with cable shields. The problem is your potential issue with other RF because of not having a shield. The cheapo cable probably also worked fine because the shield was so bad that a loop could not form there either.

Right now, you have the HE-2 in two places:
1) Between the amp send and the G Insert Return
2) Between the G Output and the amp return.

Try the following:
Rob the HE-2 channel from (1) above and instead use it between the insert send and the amp input. Use a balanced cable to connect the Amp Send directly to the G-System insert return so you have a pseudo-balanced circuit.

What happens then? (This may not be a complete solution - but what happens when you try this will tell us a lot about the nature of the RF issues in your system. And it MAY be a complete solution also.)

BTW - On my rig with the H&K Switchblade, I need transformer isolation for all 3 links between the G and the amp - so I have two HE-2s on that rig. (The last channel is used for output to a second power amp for stereo). All cables from the G to the HE-2s are balanced (I use a 4-channel, 20' TRS recording snake) and then I use VERY short (12") mono instrument cables between the amp and the HE-2s (except when I go stereo, where the other power amp needs a longer cable of course). On my clean channel, you can't tell the unit is on unless I am playing - even when the volume is at ear-damaging levels. When on high-gain channels, I get a whisper/hiss of thermal noise from the amp that is so low you have to listen for it even at high volumes. In NO case do I need any other noise reduction or a gate.
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural