Highlighted

G System brain in the rack controlled by 3rd party midi footswitch

Contributor - Level 3

So I bought the Tech21 midi mongoose as everything I read suggested it would do what I wanted it to do, now I’ve plugged it in and tried it I’ve discovered it does ALMOST what I want it to do.

so it can change the presets as I wanted BUT as it only has 128 possibilities and the G system has 300, it will only access the 100 factory presets and not the mere 5 user ones that I need it to do.

so my question is, this can’t be over, can it? I got so close, there must be a way that I can put my user presets at the front of the list so it will change them, surely?!? Please??? Anyone??

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: G System brain in the rack controlled by 3rd party midi footswitch

Super Contributor - Level 2

@StupidDeluxe wrote:

Thanks Rex, this looks like it might be just the thing. Just need to find where I can get one in England. 

@StupidDeluxe 

Juno stocks the larger version: Event Processor Plus. They deliver really quickly. Thomann have the Event Processor. You don't need the larger model unless you have other, more complicated, mapping requirements. The smaller unit will handle ten rules and you wouldn't need more than four to solve this issue.  

@StupidDeluxe 

Yes as @TC-Mike says, you can download the programming tool from Midi Solutions. It runs on a PC and will upload the settings to the Event Processor through a USB Midi interface - like this.

According to my reckoning, you only need two rules to access the user presets. They run in numerical order.

MSEP_1.PNG

MSEP_2.PNG

14 REPLIES 14

Triber Moderator

Hi,

you can use PRG map feature, to route incoming Midi Prg changes to specific user presets.

See G-system Manaul fro more infos:

https://service.tcgroup.tc/g-systemmanuals.asp

g-system prg map.PNG

Furthrmore you can also route incoming Prg change messages to the different banks via Midi CC.  

Not sure your Midi controller can send combined CC and Prg changes though.

G-system bank select.PNG

A third option or a general tip for changing/shuffeling Presets around is to use the Editor software with Drag and drop to create specific bank content as needed for a gig and then just sync the whole user bank to the G-system

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs

Contributor - Level 3

Hi mike, thanks for the response, the PRG map feature doesn’t appear to be available for midi in, only midi out. The controller I have (tech 21) doesn’t do midi cc and prg change commands. 

As as far as I can see the prg change on map function is only on midi out, is this correct or do I need to update something?

thanks for your help

Triber Moderator

You are right the "map"  feature is just for re-mapping Prg changes to external devices.

To adress the different user banks vi aan external controller you need to send Midi CC followed by a Prg change:

g-system band adress.PNG

In order to change Presets on G-System from an external controller it needs to be able to send standard Midi Prg change messages

/Mike

TC Mike | Triber Moderator, Music Tribe Did you find my post helpful? Give kudos or mark it as a solution! Community Guidelines | FAQs

@StupidDeluxe wrote:

Hi mike, thanks for the response, the PRG map feature doesn’t appear to be available for midi in, only midi out. The controller I have (tech 21) doesn’t do midi cc and prg change commands. 

As as far as I can see the prg change on map function is only on midi out, is this correct or do I need to update something?

thanks for your help

@StupidDeluxe 

You could use a Midi Solutions Event Processor to map some of the Mongoose Program Change messages to other numbers preceded by a Bank Select message (CC 0). 

For example, presets 1 to 100 could send Bank Select 0 followed by Program Change 1 to 100. Presets 101 to 128 could send Bank Select 1 followed by Program Change 1 to 28.

If you only need the user presets, just map Mongoose programs 1-100 to send Bank Select 1 followed by Program Change 1-100. This would require just two rules in the Event Processor.

Contributor - Level 3

Thanks Rex, this looks like it might be just the thing. Just need to find where I can get one in England. 

Contributor - Level 3
Thanks mike 👍🏼

@StupidDeluxe wrote:

@StupidDeluxe 

Juno stocks the larger version: Event Processor Plus. They deliver really quickly. Thomann have the Event Processor. You don't need the larger model unless you have other, more complicated, mapping requirements. The smaller unit will handle ten rules and you wouldn't need more than four to solve this issue.  

Contributor - Level 3
Thanks again man, I’ll let you know how it works out 👍🏼

Contributor - Level 3
One more thing, it doesn’t say how you edit the events in the event processor, do you need to plug a computer into it?