Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

I am using George L cables is it worth it to change to TRS-TRS cables?

In my setup I am using George L cables to connect the G system from my Mesa triple rectifier. I also have the Hum eliminator setup along with the VHT valvulator and I still experience some noise but with the gate properly adjusted there is no noise. Could investing in TRS cables make any change to my tone and or s/n ratio? I also understand that compressors and distortion contribute to this issue.
Bogner 20th Anniversary XTC Guitars: Custom Les paul, John Petrucci Music Man Ernie Ball
Tags (1)
kevin2106 Contributor - Level 2 2008-09-26

2008-09-26

I am using George L cables is it worth it to change to TRS-TRS cables?

In my setup I am using George L cables to connect the G system from my Mesa triple rectifier. I also have the Hum eliminator setup along with the VHT valvulator and I still experience some noise but with the gate properly adjusted there is no noise. Could investing in TRS cables make any change to my tone and or s/n ratio? I also understand that compressors and distortion contribute to this issue.

• 0 Kudos
  • 3 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Re: I am using George L cables is it worth it to change to TRS-TRS cables?

kevin2106 wrote:

Compressors and distortion generally will only magnify your perception of noise that is already there. Unless a compressor is very poorly built, it will not generate any noise of its own. The only noise an amp will add to a signal is thermal noise - again unless it is very poorly built/designed.

If you have 3db of noise (barely noticeable) and then boost it through 3 phases of amplification and attenuation in a preamp - guess what happens to your 3db of noise. It EXPLODES. The harmonics that the gain stages added to your main signal also get added to the noise. Your noise multiplies and its harmonics multiply too. Presto - when you are not playing your guitar - the noise is suddenly loud...but this does not mean that the amp added noise - it simply made the noise you already had much more noticable.

If the noise is guitar pickup noise - there is not much you can do other than a gate. But if the noise is RFI being picked up by a long unbalanced cable - well - THAT noise can and should be killed without a gate.

How long are your cable runs between the G-System and the Amp? Where did you put the HumEliminator in the chain?
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

Is there certain types of TRS cables that should be used with the G system. I tried putting TRS 10 ft cables in my Fx loops of the rectifier and i got this really bad phasing noise its sounded terrible. Then i plugged back in my 20 ft George L's and it took away all that phasing.

The George L cables running through my amps send and return are 20 ft long cables. This is probably what is adding that buzzing.

Hum Eliminator channel 1-------- G system Insert Send
Hum Eliminator channel 2-------- Mesa Rectifier Input
Hum Eliminator channel 3-------- G system output
Hum Eliminator channel 4-------- Mesa rectifier Return
Bogner 20th Anniversary XTC Guitars: Custom Les paul, John Petrucci Music Man Ernie Ball
Highlighted
Contributor - Level 2

kevin2106 wrote:
Is there certain types of TRS cables that should be used with the G system. I tried putting TRS 10 ft cables in my Fx loops of the rectifier and i got this really bad phasing noise its sounded terrible. Then i plugged back in my 20 ft George L's and it took away all that phasing.

The George L cables running through my amps send and return are 20 ft long cables. This is probably what is adding that buzzing.

Hum Eliminator channel 1-------- G system Insert Send
Hum Eliminator channel 2-------- Mesa Rectifier Input
Hum Eliminator channel 3-------- G system output
Hum Eliminator channel 4-------- Mesa rectifier Return

There are only 2 channels on the HE-2.
Each channel has an in and an out.

Is this how you are wired:

G-System Insert Send --> HE2 Input 1 (*)
HE2 Output 1 --> Mesa Input

Mesa FX Send --> G-System Insert Return (*)

G-System Out --> HE2 Input 2 (*)
HE2 Output 2 --> Mesa FX Return

Optimially, the (*) items should be balanced cables. The other two cables should be short (18" or less) well-shielded TS patch cables (instrument cables). You can make some George-Ls if you like - but at 12-18" it won't make that much of a difference.

You can get a 4-channel mogami TRS-TRS cable snake for about $60 here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mogami-G-H-1-4-TRS-Snake-4-Channel-20_W0QQitemZ7410490395QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4146...
Gtrs: PRS Cust. 24 20-Anny Artist, Yamaha PAC1511 Mike Stern Signature Pedalboard: Barber Tone Press, TC NovaDrive, TC G-System, Eventide ModFactor Rack: Egnater M4 Modular Tube Preamp, Randall RT2/50 Power Amp, Palmer ADIG-LB load box/cab sim Acoustic: Stehr Coco/Adi Custom-build OO, Stehr Koa/Adi Custom Build GA, Stehr Braz/Adi Custom Build GA, Taylor 814ce-L10, G-Natural